How accurate is BMI

Options
I started at 512 pounds and 6'3. I've got a fairly muscular build. I've been told that I should wait until I'm at 180 before having skin removal surgery and I'm currently at 300 pounds. By my estimates, I'm about a year or so away. I just feel like 180 pounds is pretty low for my build. Thoughts?

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    180 lbs sounds low to me. Who gave you that number? If it was a surgeon who would do the surgery, then it's probably accurate. Otherwise, I would check with one once you get into the top range of normal BMI.

Caveat: I have no experience in this area other than male family members in this height range with larger muscular builds.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    That seems pretty low, especially since with your starting weight there may be a fair weight of skin to remove. Also, generally surgeons want your weight to have been stable for a while before doing surgery, since regain after skin removal isn’t pretty. I know there are several posters here who have had skin removal surgery and may have some insight. But it seems to me that being at the weight you intend to remain at for the rest of your life should be more of a condition than being at a particular BMI.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My doctor calls BMI voodoo math. As I read this, the math doesn't add up. Here is my reasoning:

1. Someone 6'3" who works averages more than 180 lbs. of lean mass, so the BMI chart puts you at 0% body fat.

2. My buddy is 6'3" 218 Lbs. and ~ 11% BF. His lean mass is 194 lbs.

3. I am 5'9" and have 158 lbs. of lean mass, which is just above an average build. At 180lbs., I am 12% BF

• yxba
    yxba Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    yxba wrote: »
    I don’t work out with weights at this point. I had too many back problems. I’m also dealing with knee osteoarthritis which limits me further. What I have found works for me is doing yoga 3 days a week. I have recently started seeing an athletic therapist who has helped to get rid of a blockage in both of my knees and this helped me greatly. I’m now on a program of home excercises to help build support for my arthritic knees and I do these exercises as well as glute activations each day.

I’m turning 38 soon. When I was in my early 20’s I was into bodybuilding and put on a lot of muscle. A lot of it is coming back even during my weight loss from the yoga alone.

I respect what you’re saying in terms of taking my time. However, I’m very focused and honestly I’d like to have a body that I can feel comfortable with while I’m still in my 30’s.

From someone well past his 30's (and I'm impressed you decided to do something in your 30's which I did not :smile: )... regardless of any additional motivation that you may have in terms of being comfortable in your own body, you actually have a major health issue at your original weight. My own knees feel normal and non limiting at normal weight. Putting on a 40lb vest for a few hours means my knees hurt the next few days... just like they used to. A nice body... is nice. As you age, the opportunities afforded by better health, are even more nice!

Losing your excess weight is NEITHER THE GOAL NOT the end of the process.

Losing and MAINTAINING YOUR LOSS is.

Thanks for those words of encouragement. I don't think maintaining is in my vocabulary lol. Don't get me wrong. I will get to the point where my weight more or less maintains. But what I'm embarking on is not so simple as a period of weight loss and then life long maintenance of that weight. I am fighting a battle against my body and my plan is to do everything I possibly can to improve my quality of life as much as I can with the damage I've already done to my joints. I will be fighting to keep my osteoarthritis from getting worse for the rest of my life. That's part of the reason why I believe in losing weight quickly. There are only really two things I can do to limit the damage from continuing and that exercise and losing as much weight as I can. If I can get my weight down one year sooner that's one extra year of not further damaging my knees with the extra pressure every time I walk.

When it comes to the excess skin. Well, I've kind of had the goal my whole adult life to lose as much fat as I can safety do and then get the skin removal surgery so I'm pretty focused on that. Its more than just a nice body. Its more of a self esteem type of thing.

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Same height 6'3" I'm currently at 190.. ppl think I'm skinny... 195 is at top/border of "normal"

It all up to how you feel about the weight really.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    My doctor calls BMI voodoo math. As I read this, the math doesn't add up. Here is my reasoning:

1. Someone 6'3" who works averages more than 180 lbs. of lean mass, so the BMI chart puts you at 0% body fat.

2. My buddy is 6'3" 218 Lbs. and ~ 11% BF. His lean mass is 194 lbs.

3. I am 5'9" and have 158 lbs. of lean mass, which is just above an average build. At 180lbs., I am 12% BF

@rodnichols69 6'3" at 218 and 11% body fat is NFL wide receiver range of bodyfat for that height and weight. If all his measurements are accurate he's jacked/built, not your normal dude at LA Fitness.

He is exactly that size and looks nothing like a NFL receiver other than about a 2 pack of abs. The original question was how accurate is BMI. It is not accurate at all. It does not take lean mass into account or about 10 other factors that should be considered.

I would have to lose 9.5 lbs. of muscle to be at the top tier of the BMI scale for my height and still have some body fat.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Skin could account for 5lbs? 10lbs? Unless you are counting attached fat that may also be removed during the same procedure I don't think that skin, by itself, is much heavier than that. I am sure people who have had the procedure will chime in!

I seem to recall the forum member who had hers done had 15 lbs removed, and she had only lost about 100 lbs. I looked it up and the typical weight of a lower body lift is 10 lbs, massive weight loss skin removal this particular doctor had removed up to 60 lbs of skin. It’s not just skin which is removed but also the fat attached to it.
  • yxba
    yxba Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Was the doctor you visited an actual plastic surgeon? If not, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what he said and I would wait about another 50 pounds and see a PS for an initial consultation.

As @PAV8888 mentioned your fast losing days need to be soon behind you. I am not sure what your rate of loss is at the moment but mine was 2.5lbs pounds per week at 300. I decided to drop it to 2 when I hit 270 and follow the normal guidelines the rest of the way. My plans were altered for a surgical need so I consulted an RD and actually went faster than I wanted to for 3 months but I feel like 270 should have been my line to slow down.

You have done great. I know you are at a tough weight. I remember it well. There is so much great about losing weight and so much that sucks. Keep your spirits up. I made it through and I am older than you.
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Was the doctor you visited an actual plastic surgeon? If not, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what he said and I would wait about another 50 pounds and see a PS for an initial consultation.

As @PAV8888 mentioned your fast losing days need to be soon behind you. I am not sure what your rate of loss is at the moment but mine was 2.5lbs pounds per week at 300. I decided to drop it to 2 when I hit 270 and follow the normal guidelines the rest of the way. My plans were altered for a surgical need so I consulted an RD and actually went faster than I wanted to for 3 months but I feel like 270 should have been my line to slow down.

You have done great. I know you are at a tough weight. I remember it well. There is so much great about losing weight and so much that sucks. Keep your spirits up. I made it through and I am older than you.

I’ve just had the thought in mind that I would stick to eating 2000 calories per day and eventually the weight loss would slow down. I’m hoping to be able to avoid further calorie restriction by increasing excercise as I’m more capable of it. I want to start swimming laps again in summer. Even if I lost 2 pounds a week that would be good for 96 pounds in a year they would really get me into the ballpark where the surgery alone would maybe lose me an extra 15 pounds or so.