60 yrs and up

Replies

• Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Eating right is important but like you, Ann, I have always been active and have been careful about what I eat but unfortunately tend to eat too much. So I have to control my portions. I do well when I do that but it is a difficult thing for me to manage all the time. I'm working hard to gain more control of my portion sizes. I'm hoping with time it will become more of a habit.
  • Timberlan127
    Welcome, Gigigator7, I am also 69 soon to be 70. So sorry to hear about your husband. I can't imagine that loss. But you are right to make your health your top priority. I also have a lot to lose. So hopefully we can support each other and get healthy together. I have found this group to be very supportive and inspiring. I wish you the best on your journey to better health.

• Gigigator7
    Gigigator7 Posts: 4 Member
    just started Keto life style Jan. 1st.

I am another Keto eater, have done keto in the past with success at losing, just not at sticking to it. Hoping for better success this time around!
  • getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2020
    You are SO right Ann, this does need a third section that says something about portions. I agree, there is a saying about 'too much of a good thing'....Congratulations on your achievements.
  • getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    Good morning (well it is here) everyone. I am so excited to see so much happening on this discussion site. A great mix of experience to share. I too am sorry for your loss Gigigator.
    I stated out with MFP in 2013 and obviously strayed, so back again. I don't do well freelancing and planning my own meals. For me it is too easy to stay close to the total Kj (calorie) limit but not think about how those Kjs are distributed. I believe I have more success when I have a specific meal plan to follow. That will make me doubly accountable (ie ticking off the meal plan as I use it and to the recording here). I know I cannot trust myself, seems I have a justification override in my brain. What I mean by that is, I can justify every poor food decision. The psychology of weight gain and loss really interests me. As well as the physical reasons for gain (food choice, proportions and exercise), I think what is happening in your head is very powerful. I have actually stood in front of item that I know I should not put in my trolley and have a yes/no debate with myself. any frequently lose! What is that thing, I am arguing with that essentially wants to maintain the status quo? Anyone else out there do this?
    Today's poster is for me, maybe some of you will identify with it.
    85cxidv99wch.png
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Hey everyone I am 63 and active .i walk and go to Curves. Weight loss is a struggle everyday. I have never joined a group it is good to see others challenges and how to overcome. I am not sure how to join this group but would like to be a part of the group . I have about 60 lbs. to loose . Have a great day everyone!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,239 Member
    Hey everyone I am 63 and active .i walk and go to Curves. Weight loss is a struggle everyday. I have never joined a group it is good to see others challenges and how to overcome. I am not sure how to join this group but would like to be a part of the group . I have about 60 lbs. to loose . Have a great day everyone!

Good luck, you just log on and share motivational info or you could add friends
  • Timberlan127
    getthebabeba...I can identify with all that you have said. I have fought the weight loss battle many times. I have won many times and I have lost many times. Your mind set definitely determines whether you win or lose. Getting your mind in the right state to say " no , I won't put the m&m's in the cart FOR COMPANY because I know I'll eat them. " doesn't always seem to be in our control. I did really well last fall ( lost 60 pounds) then hit a plateau and stayed there till August when my little dog got sick. At that point I lost my mind set and being an emotional eater gained back 25 pounds. So I agree that the mind is a powerful factor in weight loss. The big question is how do we control that important factor???? I wish I had the answer to that question! Anyone else have any ideas???
  • lindagalbreath577
    I think getting on here and talking about the struggle helps. Because you have the encouragement and support of people here. We can do this!!!!!!
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hello y'all. I'm so grateful to have found this thread and would love to join in the discussions.

I'm 73 and found MFP in Jan. 2018, started tracking at 190lbs (not my highest weight.) That year I lost 40 pounds. Even though I wanted to take off another 20 I decided to try maintenance. Stopped tracking, took lots of fun trips and on/off ate healthy during 2019. Got back on the scale January this year and was up 15, so my plan needed those healthy choices, daily tracking and 1,200 calories to move the scale in the right direction.

I must focus on filling, nutritionally strong foods and add more exercise effort to achieve a "I'm not so hungry" success. So far January 2020 and I'm down 8 lbs. and feel it's time to reach out to others for support and motivation.

Thank you for listening and wishing all of you and strength peace of mind.

Om...
    Janet
  • Timberlan127
    This is a great thread!! It's nice to hear that I'm not alone in the problems I've faced. We're all struggling together. Keep up the rambling, getthebabeba. I enjoy hearing all of your theories. It gives us all food for thought. I'd like this to be the last time I make this journey to a healthy weight so the more thought and hopefully eventually conclusions I am able to come to the better. I want to be able to maintain the weight loss permanently this time. So obviously there need to be changes made and new mind sets established for permanent change. With everyone adding thoughts, ideas, and things that work or don't work for them we can all learn from each other. I'm so glad you've kept this thread going even when you weren't getting a lot of encouragement, getthebabeba!

Keep posting everyone. I have had two successful days in a row. I'm working toward a successful week so I can feel back in control. Your stories and advice have helped me regain some of my strength of mind. Wishing you all a healthy successful day.
  • lindagalbreath577
    Hey everyone how’s your day going? Mine is going good. I must confess went to grandparents day at my grandsons school and had lunch with him and had a brownie cupcake with frosting ! Of course it tasted good but was toooo much sweet blaaaaaa ! Won’t do that again . Have a good day! 🤓
  • Timberlan127
    Congrats on the 3 pounds lost, mystepstobea. You're off to a good start. 👍 Glad you had a good day Linda. It does feel good when the day is a success. This is my third good day in a row. I am beginning to feel in control again. 👩‍🦳
    This thread really helps!! Jim, you are an inspiration to us all. You prove that it can be done and the rest of us can do it too. Welcome, Charles! Love your attitude. I'm going to start planning for another good day tomorrow. Wishing you all success !!