2020 Welcome Noobs to MFP

Replies

• lconnor4218
    lconnor4218 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm new to myfitnesspal and am looking for some support in the community I've never gone on a calorie-restrictive diet before and I'm having a tough time staying motivated. How did you stay motivated when beginning a diet? I understand it needs to be lifestyle-focused but I'd like to jumpstart my weight loss and lose 14lbs for my wedding on March 21st. That is 14 lbs in eight weeks. I think it is a pretty manageable amount and can be done in a healthy way...but like I said I'm struggling and need a little help!
  • gills7810
    gills7810 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello!
    I'm not exactly a newbie to losing weight or to My Fitness Pal, but I am new to the community part! I've lost about 70 lbs throughout my journey about 3 years ago. I have 20 lbs. I'd like to lose after a recent pregnancy. I'd love to connect with other people excited to be here too!
  • jodyleewallace
    jodyleewallace Posts: 6 Member
    Hour 1 of Day 1!
    Looking for support friends and tips.
  • kimspearey
    kimspearey Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2020
    Been on here for a while but a lurker rather than an active poster/logger so yes I’m a newbe. I am really finding it hard, only lost 0.5kg last week as I’m trying to breastfeed my 10 week old and not mess that up so I’m fearful of having too much of a deficit. And on Friday I did so well and then ate a bowl of profiteroles. 🙈
  • Kilsi_Kizmit
    Kilsi_Kizmit Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hello,

Few weeks ago for T-Mobile Tuesday they offered WeightWatchers for $8 the first month. Tried it, lost 5 lbs on it, but felt restricted even with the zero point foods. Opting to calorie count instead so I don't feel bad for having a piece of bread..... Even though I posted a little last night, Day one truly starts today... with the exception of my FitBit exercise points....my band broke and waiting on a new one today. Starting Weight 218 Goal Weight 135.

Trying to lost 83lbs.
  • scotex89
    scotex89 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi, I am Carole. Got my weight down almost to my goal a couple of years ago, but have put on almost a stone since. Starting again, mostly for health. Cutting out dairy, gluten and corn on an anti-inflammatory diet, and I know I will lose weight if I do that. I am already vegetarian. But these things are what make my vegetarianism sustainable, so it will be a challenge. Any other vegetarian/vegans here?
  • xluvnlifex
    xluvnlifex Posts: 8 Member
    Hey hey hey!! Day 3 but second time user and so much has changed on MFP since 2011!! Anyhow feeling pretty good about my new journey!! Let's do this!!
  • kt883
    kt883 Posts: 9 Member
    Hello, I'm a newbie to this app and community. What does MFP stand for? I've seen that in a few places now. I'm still learning as I go. Someone from another forum hooked me up with several links on getting started here and how to make the most of it. Learned I didn't log a few of my items correctly, oops. But from what I did record today I was only over 57 calories for the whole day. I'm sure I'll get it all figured out.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    kt883 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm a newbie to this app and community. What does MFP stand for? I've seen that in a few places now. I'm still learning as I go. Someone from another forum hooked me up with several links on getting started here and how to make the most of it. Learned I didn't log a few of my items correctly, oops. But from what I did record today I was only over 57 calories for the whole day. I'm sure I'll get it all figured out.

MFP stands for MyFitnessPal
  • bretmartin09
    bretmartin09 Posts: 35 Member
    I feel like the odd one out, I started with MFP because I noticed my lifts were getting slowly weaker and I was training hard. I am deployed so at the mercy of what limited food options I have, so with the help of MFP I was able to decipher that I was extremely calorie deficient for the amount of activity I do in a day. This has helped me to stabilize and get my strength back to where I need it to be. Bottom line, for the posters who have stated to go slowly, the are correct, too harsh of a deficit will leave you feeling quite lethargic and unable to sustain in the long term!
  • Kitty121964
    Kitty121964 Posts: 12 Member
    Hello, I'm new to myfitnesspal! This is the first time in my life I'm counting calories. I've always followed the Weight Watchers plan. I'm confused about the calories the app says I can have. I'm not using all of them. I'm approximately 500 under every day. However, when I add up what I've consumed in the Weight Watchers app, I'm at my limit. Does myfitnesspal give me my maintenance calories or my calories to lose weight?
  • tarvinbaby
    tarvinbaby Posts: 1 Member
    I have been using Fitbit and MyFitnessPal for several years but have not doing community. Really having a hard time this winter staying on track after having my ankle joint fused. I am determined to get back on the horse so to speak with my diet and exercise. Look forward to seeing helpful pointers in comments from the community.
  • VivLeFairy
    VivLeFairy Posts: 8 Member
    Hi, I'm not really new, but I'm just now using the app.
  • noelkro80
    noelkro80 Posts: 248 Member
    Started today, I want to lose 9 stones hopefully by the end of this year. (6ft 3in male starting weight 23st, goal weight 14st)
  • amgambin143
    amgambin143 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello all :-) ... good luck to everyone starting and continuing down this fitness journey! (I know I need it LOL)
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Technically I started with MFP back in about 2018, but just dabbled a little out of curiosity. This time around I'm serious because of weight and other health issues. After tracking my food intake here for several days, I now realize the need to cut way back on the sugar and carbs (with sodas and beer being the main culprits to be removed) and start exercising a lot more. So, I bought an indoor grill/air fryer and a digital food scale to help with preparing/portioning more healthy foods, and I've started walking everyday and tracking my food intake. My goal is to lose around 18 pounds and put in well over the recommended10,000 steps a day.
  • Crysty33
    Crysty33 Posts: 2 Member
    Wow I love this . I had no idea all of this was here. Thank you all so much. So far my 19 year old has me doing a cleanse and she said I’d loose 6 lbs first week and I couldn’t believe it she was right . I’m down 7.1 lbs. I love it.
  • flyingkea
    flyingkea Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I’m a newbie :)
    I’ve been wanting to lose weight for quite a while, after 2 kids, and been lurking on places like reddit r/loseit and r/progresspics. I decided enough was enough, and wanting to do something isn’t the same as actually doing, and downloaded the app a couple of days ago.
    I’m sitting at ~88kg, and while I don’t have a particular goal weight in mind I want to lose cm all around - might help my work uniform fit a bit better. More after feeling better in my own body, more energy etc.
    Will get a food scale this weekend.
    Spending this first week just trying to get my head around logging, looking up recipes (quick, and easy a bonus given I work fulltime and have 2 small children)
  • inthenownow
    inthenownow Posts: 1 Member
    Just started back with MFT. Getting the whole family connected so we can work together. I cook most of our meals and will work to build the recipes as I go so they are easy to track. My question is, is there a way to share a recipe with the family, so we don't all have to build them from scratch on everyone's individual account? The search field doesn't show any discussions on the topic. Thanks in advance!
  • TarynF226
    TarynF226 Posts: 62 Member
    Um, hi? Definitely new to MFP. I was trying to track calories roughly using my phones calculator😂 this is so much better. This is my first week so I'll see how it goes. So far in under my calorie target these past three days so yay! I'm aiming for weight loss and getting fit at the same time. Wish me luck😄😄😄
This discussion has been closed.