February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    12k run, slightly pushing the pace. Did the same route 8 minutes faster than last week, and got some mud on my shoes. But the "toes falling asleep" thing is back. Definitely the Asics. Bummer, I liked those shoes.

February goal 100 miles (stretch goal 200 km)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Feb. 8 - Lublin night 10k

Try a wide? I find I need a wide fit shoe or my little toe goes numb. And apparently most women are a "wide" fit.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    Happy Birthday @marisap2010!

And I am trying not to be jealous of all y'all getting runner's high. I started running as an adult in 2003, I have multiple ultra-marathons, and shorter races under my belt... and I have never experienced it. I am suspicious it is a joke y'all are in, at my expense really. :tongue:

I can say that this is the first time I have ever felt it. It was like a burst of energy. I usually feel like falling over into a ditch so a jogger can find me. 🤣
    This literally made me laugh out loud!!!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited February 2020
    Training plan has me tapering down this week to 28. Does anyone do other exercises instead while in the "waiting period"? All this running 40+ miles per week I did in January (not counting any walking steps or other exercises I did) has me thin and I like running thin and light but if I can't run... What I'm saying is please don't let me gain in these next two wait weeks. After the 16th, I don't care if I put 5 pounds on, although I'd be thrilled to stay here. I can swim and use a stationary bike in the meantime.

Is the point of cutting down mental, to give your mind a break? Or is it physical? Or is it both?

I told my dad that while out for a run, I found these stomach muscles, like almost a 6 pack poking through and he laughed. I have not seen stomach muscles since before my first child was born 17 years ago. I just don't want to haul any extra unnecessary anything over a 26 mile jaunt.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Training plan has me tapering down this week to 28. Does anyone do other exercises instead while in the "waiting period"? All this running 40+ miles per week I did in January (not counting any walking steps or other exercises I did) has me thin and I like running thin and light but if I can't run... What I'm saying is please don't let me gain in these next two wait weeks. After the 16th, I don't care if I put 5 pounds on, although I'd be thrilled to stay here. I can swim and use a stationary bike in the meantime.

Is the point of cutting down mental, to give your mind a break? Or is it physical? Or is it both?

I told my dad that while out for a run, I found these stomach muscles, like almost a 6 pack poking through and he laughed. I have not seen stomach muscles since before my first child was born 17 years ago. I just don't want to haul any extra unnecessary anything over a 26 mile jaunt.

Yes it is both.

The taper is designed to both allow your body to repair, rebuild and restock on fuel it will need for the race. Some ppl still cross-train during the taper, but I suggest you do not. I suggest you wind down as per whatever training plan has gotten you this far and let your body have the best shot it can on race day.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    jele30 wrote: »
    I’m back at it for this month. I’ve been running here and there, but with the late fall/winter months the mileage was very lacking. Husband and I started our half marathon training this week for the Flying Pig Half in May. We were toying with the idea of the challenges, but I think we are sticking to the half. We have a bit to register before the next price tier so we’ll see. Hotel is booked though. Aiming for 45 miles this month with three runs per week and some cross training.

I've done the Flying Pig 3-way challenge a couple of times and it's lots of fun and well organized. As long as you aren't trying to PR the half I highly recommend it!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i would like to know where january went.

2 runs so far.
    the first run was solo. 6.5miles after teaching. it wasn't horrible. i was tired but now is when the work starts. february is when the training plan gets real. it was a nice day. it wasn't busy. the path isn't always scenic but parts of it are. the legs were heavy. the breath came quick. but i pushed and finished. i think, i mostly need to worry about the mileage goals and not worry about pace.
    7qoqpqxvt1nd.png
    66b5oanyyxlq.png

the second, i waited till the temp hit about 50f. in February. in Wisconsin.
    sunday speed demon and i headed out for 12. if felt like a lot in theory, but since the paths were clear other than puddles, i got to wear my cushiony shoes. the padding totally makes a difference. because it was so nice, there were a lot of people on the path. the path was also not long enough but it will be nice for my medium runs. i hadn't followed it all the way thru and found hills. not big hills, not baby hills. one might say rolling hills. Speed Demon enjoyed the run. there were lots of unruly dogs and she just passed by, minding her own business. after we got to the more scenic parts she really relaxed and wanted to go faster. We had to do some work on the sidewalk because we ran out of trail. usually, she looks intimidating. she is a tank rolling at you. but yesterday, more than one person said she looked so happy.
    when we arrived home, she hopped out of the car and stepped on the snowdrift and started to limp. at first i thought some ice might have sliced her but after giving her some time she let me look at her foot in good light; worn pad. put antiobiotic cream on it. i also have petprofen if i need it. we've been building up mileage since thanksgiving. she has the option to run on grass or mud for a good portion of the runs.
    i ordered some wax. she would not be a fan of boots but we will if we need to. i looked at paw stickers but people say those don't work in wet situations so not idea. the director of the canicross group was going to try to get feedback today from the group if there were other options. i wonder if there will be backlash about being cruel, blah blah blah.
    jrctrqhb3l87.png

looking happy, no indication her paw is currently oozing blood
    zhe7sgkrzk74.png

kmjwd3fbuj84.png

i guess, we'll be looking at more trail runs for long runs. which means more hills. Speed Demon will love that. I will not. i'm hoping for no more snow and above freezing weather. many of our trails turn into cross country skiing or snowmobile trails. but weekdays, we will still need to do paved/or sidewalk.
    i'll be taking old girl out this week for shorter runs.

What part of Wisconsin are you in? My husband was born in Milwaukee, raised in New Berlin and his parents now live in Lake Mills. He went to both University of Wisconsin - Whitewater (first year) and University of Wisconsin - Madison (subsequent years). Last year we were in Lake Mills, Jefferson, and Fort Atkinson. We've swam in Devil's Lake and hiked in there in previous years, visited water parks in the Dells, also where we were married. Been to Milwaukee (the Pfitzer, breweries, many Brewers games with parking lot bags and grill outs beforehand), Madison...lots and lots of places in Wisconsin...it's a great state, I think...we have made lots of great memories up there. I have never been there in the winter, though. I only see Wisconsin in snow in pictures.