2/9: 10.10 miles
    2/10: 6.31 miles
    2/11: 6.31 miles
    2/13: 6.11 miles
    2/16: 10.02 miles
    2/19: 2.61 miles

63.15/100 miles completed for February

173.41/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I went to the doctor this morning for the pain in my toes. She didn't think it was anything to worry about, but I was glad I got it checked out. She said it was probably a little bit of overuse and maybe the way I am landing on my feet and also most of the roads in our town are really bad with potholes filled with gravel and rock. So she suggested that I try to vary my routine some so that I am not always running the same roads in the same direction. I do tend to do that a lot, partially because I run most of my runs early when it is still dark out so I pick the well lit route and also because I know where most of the dogs on my routes are and they usually don't surprise me. But I am going to try to vary it some. Maybe now that it is starting to get light a little earlier I can change it up a bit. Plus I do have my noxgear vest. I have 12 weeks until my HM so I think I am going to try the Hal Higdon HM3 plan. It seems to line up with my running schedule pretty well. I know that I've gotten bad about just running the same runs every day, week in week out. I have to admit that I like my little rut, but it would be good for me to add a little variety, and also to remember to add in some cutback weeks too. So I am going to try. I did get out and run today at lunch for 2.6 miles. It was a pretty nice run and I didn't have any pain in my toes so that was good. I don't know if I will run tomorrow or not. It is supposed to be raining in the morning, so I may run at lunch. But I may also just take another day off. I won't make my goal for February, but that is ok. I am still on track to make my goal for the year and the HM in May is more important to me than the February goal, so I am counting this week as a cutback week before starting the HH plan next week. The plan only has 3 days of running and 2 days of cross training, but it does say that if you want to run a 4th day to do it on the Wednesday XT day so that is my plan.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon

Glad your doc gave you good news.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    Thanks @Tramboman
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    KimLight2 wrote:
    A weird thing happened today that I wanted to pick your collective brains about please. At mile 6 or 7, I got the goosebumps and then the chills. This has never happened before while I was at the gym. Usually I am way to hot and I was soaking wet when I finished. I did drink almost 2 - 32oz bottles of water while I was running but that's all I had since last night. Is this normal or something I should worry about?

I’ve had that before near the end of a run. I put it down to fatigue and possibly low blood sugar. It doesn’t happen often enough for me to get worried about, but if it persists for you, talk to your GP.

So, AFTER a run chills is completely normal. Your body temperature control system sometimes can get out of sync with your activity level so it is still trying to cool you even though you have stopped running.

Chills in the middle of a run is different, assuming you did not stop and walk for a bit tripping the same problem. I would agree if it persists check with a doctor. Probably nothing, but I would keep an eye on it and see what happens.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @kimlight2 sorry I missed this. Dehydration and overheating could cause the chills, mostly in the heat and humidity of summer. You were running inside so maybe you got warm enough to overheat along with some dehydration? It's recommended that if goosebumps and chills happen you should stop running, cool down and take in some electrolytes. I'd follow up if it happens again, but hopefully just an odd circumstance today.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    KimLight2 wrote:
    A weird thing happened today that I wanted to pick your collective brains about please. At mile 6 or 7, I got the goosebumps and then the chills. This has never happened before while I was at the gym. Usually I am way to hot and I was soaking wet when I finished. I did drink almost 2 - 32oz bottles of water while I was running but that's all I had since last night. Is this normal or something I should worry about?

I’ve had that before near the end of a run. I put it down to fatigue and possibly low blood sugar. It doesn’t happen often enough for me to get worried about, but if it persists for you, talk to your GP.

So, AFTER a run chills is completely normal. Your body temperature control system sometimes can get out of sync with your activity level so it is still trying to cool you even though you have stopped running.

Chills in the middle of a run is different, assuming you did not stop and walk for a bit tripping the same problem. I would agree if it persists check with a doctor. Probably nothing, but I would keep an eye on it and see what happens.

I've had this happen. It's when I've been running in the heat and haven't had enough fluids while on the run.

If that's accurate, it's not life threatening but definitely worth watching and keeping an eye on it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Oh, you may remember my race report from the Coatesville Half that I ran three days prior to the actual event. I mentioned my husband and I were keen to buy out there as it's so pretty. Well, yesterday, we bought a hectare of bare land and will build our 'forever' home there later in the year. Very exciting (and a bit scary).

Oh wow! So I can come visit someday?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    2-1 7k easy + yoga
    2-2 11k slow
    2-3 7k easy + resistance bands
    2-4 rest + yoga
    2-5 7k slow + resistance bands
    2-6 7k slow + yoga
    2-7 rest + resistance bands
    2-8 7k easy + yoga
    2-9 8.2k moderate
    2-10 7k moderate + resistance bands
    2-11 rest + yoga
    2-12 7k moderate + resistance bands
    2-13 7k slow + yoga
    2-14 7k slow + resistance bands
    2-15 7k easy + yoga
    2-16 11k slow
    2-17 7k easy + resistance bands
    2-18 rest + yoga
    2-19 7k easy + resistance bands
    2-20 7k moderate + yoga

February Total: 121.2k
    February Goal: 140k

January Total: 161k

Cloudy, low 20s F, and a biting wind out of the west this morning.
    I find myself in the same run or diet boat as others. If I diet too hard, it negatively affects my running. If I run too hard, it negatively affects my dieting. Somehow I need to find an effective middle ground that works.

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:
    4-25 Shine the Light 5k, Twinsburg, OH
    5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    @TheMrWobbly , @katharmonic , @hanlonsk and @PastorVincent Thank you for the feedback and information. I will keep an eye on it and maybe switch my plain water to Nuun. Hopefully it was just a one time bit of weirdness.