February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    hmaddpear wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by all the options you guys listen to whilst you run. I just listen to the voices in my head.

I don't usually listen to podcasts when I run, only if it's a very short one. Podcasts are for commuting and for hiding behind in my very noisy open plan office! When I run, I listen to Zombies, Run!, which is tremendous fun!

I also listen to Zombies, Run! but it is getting annoying because I've been done and I just listen to the same stuff over and over again to get supplies and materials.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @avidkeo - Sorry about Elton. Do they automatically transfer your tickets to the January concert or refund the money and you have to start all over?
    @autumnblade75 - I don't think it matters much if you rearrange the plan to better fit your life. I did that all the time. Mostly just need to get in the requisite miles and rest days.
    @johnisrunning and @Camaramandy648 - we used to love going to NYC when our daughter was younger. We had a great friend who knew so much about the architecture and the history and we would always walk around different parts of the city with him. Also all the good places to eat! We would wait in line at TKTS to get off price theater tickets and I have walked and run in Central Park. It is a really great, fun city!
    @Scott6255 - you and I have similar heart rates. Mine is a touch lower at resting but I can't get it to 150 either.

I agree that the most important thing is to track your resting HR (an indication of recovery) and average and max HRs over time. You will see where you typically are and know if your body needs more rest, is struggling or maybe you are coming down with something. It can also alert you if there is something wrong.

I listen to music when I run and have a pretty extensive running playlist that I like. I use Spotify, love it and have never had an issue with it. I did get premium when it was $0.99 for the year and it still is... Also I don't download to my watch I connect and listen from my phone so that may be why I have no issues.

Time for a monthly question - What is your all time favorite place that you have run?
    Mine is the National Mall in Washington DC followed closely by Fort Mason up to and over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco!

0.99c! Woah! It's like $15nzd so around 10usd for a month here!

I also hope Elton is OK. Absolutely rather he cancel and get better than push through. Fortunately we keep the tickets, they just transfer to the new date, so I'll be hanging out for another year!

Excellent monthly question. I love running the walkway here in NP. It's a treat when I get to.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I never liked spotify. I've only tried it for mysic but it was awful and didn't work well much of the time. One of the podcasts I listen to went exclusive to Spotify and fans are pretty split on if they will listen.

I am not getting another app (and a bad one at that) for one podcast. I already have everything set up how I want on Stitcher. I've been using them since the beginning when it was like Stitcher, Apple or Google. So needless to say I'm no longer listening to that podcast lom

That's disappointing. I'm not sure I like how Spotify run their business model. It feels a bit all or nothing. And agreed the app is awful. Shame about losing a favourite podcast. I'm one who gets fairly attached and actually support a few of my favourites on patreon - only at low levels mind lol.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @johnisrunning
    I love NYC probably because my son lives there! He went to college there and stayed. I told him to join a running group and train for a race so he might meet some running buddies or perhaps a girl. 😉. He runs along the Hudson as he lives on Wall st. I have run in the park on a Sunday and it was packed - never felt alone. So beautiful!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd take the dog for a short run as a warm up to my weights. Well, she was not into it and we did .8. Yup. 🤣

@Avidkeo The spotify exclusive one has a patreon. For $10/month I could get their RSS feed but that's a little steep for me right now.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    hmaddpear wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by all the options you guys listen to whilst you run. I just listen to the voices in my head.

I don't usually listen to podcasts when I run, only if it's a very short one. Podcasts are for commuting and for hiding behind in my very noisy open plan office! When I run, I listen to Zombies, Run!, which is tremendous fun!

I also listen to Zombies, Run! but it is getting annoying because I've been done and I just listen to the same stuff over and over again to get supplies and materials.

Same here. I have done the "New Adventures" but I don't like them as much as the original story. I am really ready for season 9.

For rhe monthly question: I haven't run in many different places so I guess my favorite so far was in Colorado last May when we were on vacation. It wasn't a race, but it was my first out of state run and the mountains were a really pretty place to run.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso and @Avidkeo - I use Spotify all the time and don't have any problems with it. But I mostly listen to playlists I've created. Sometimes I explore different channels but not terribly often.

Same here. I like Spotify because I can set my own playlist, but I have never listened to any podcasts.

@mbaker566 What beautiful pictures! It seems like most of y'all have great places to run. Like @quilteryoyo most of my runs have just been local runs. I have run out to the lake a couple of times, but there aren't really good places out there to run. And most of my runs are either in neighborhoods, downtown or on a couple of country roads which are nice enough, but not really anything exciting.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    bearly63 wrote: »
    Monthly Question:
    -Any beach area in California - Santa Barbara, Newport, San Diego. I miss the beach living in TX.
    -ATX - my hometown trail along the "lake", esp early in the morning at sunrise.
    -NYC - Central park or along the Hudson River trail.

@mbaker566 - beautiful pics! I run with my phone and constantly stop when I see a nice pic. Here are a few of mine....
    5ca3dyfuyq69.jpeg
    ATX Sunrise Run

7cthth1wngcq.jpeg
    Central Park Run

beautiful :)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 Great pictures and a beautiful place to run.

@kgirlhart We need to expand our horizons!