February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I want to say this...if there's a will, there's a way...I know every single person here will accomplish their goals. I saw so many signs that I loved yesterday. "You are stronger than you think"...was one of my favorites. You are!!!

YAy!!!

Just a heads up, be ready for DOMS... it could hit you pretty soon...

what is DOMS? @PastorVincent

From Wikipedia:
    Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise.

More simply... 24-48 hours AFTER a marathon a runner who did not take steps prevent it is likely to be hit with a wave of pain and stiffness. A runner who did take steps to prevent it is less likely too.

Steps to prevent are the normal active recovery things: Eat and drink well and keep moving.

Ahhhhh that makes sense!

So i am also an avid reader and since we are so busy, i often resort to audio books. Whatever i can get my hands on. I read a lot about running, but right now I’m really into psychological thrillers.

I just started A Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware, and the main character is a runner. This book conveys what it feels like to run - the emotional side of the WHY we run - so well. I am in my happy place :)

I just finished book 5 of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (in Audio) which of course ends on a cliffhanger and book 6 is not out yet. Yay.

@PastorVincent for the love of all that is good, read

The Silent Patient

And anything by Ruth Ware. Everything she writes is so interesting and within the first chapter, the reader is generally anxiously waiting for “WHAT is going to happen!?”
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @Scott6255 137?!?!?!

I can’t even look at my heart rate when I run! Even on slow slow slow miles it’s 165-172. On faster intervals it’s like 181. Ive been told as well as read that this improves over time. The only real solution (for me anyway, since I am already anxiety ridden) is to stop thinking about it and just keep running.

But seriously. 137?!?!??? How!????
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm with you @Camaramandy648. I have notice my HR has improved from 175ish to 155ish on a long run but 137 seems pretty impressive to me :smiley:
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,428 Member
    @Scott6255 137?!?!?!

I can’t even look at my heart rate when I run! Even on slow slow slow miles it’s 165-172. On faster intervals it’s like 181. Ive been told as well as read that this improves over time. The only real solution (for me anyway, since I am already anxiety ridden) is to stop thinking about it and just keep running.

@Camaramandy648 firstly, congratulations on your long run this weekend. 18 miles is outstanding!
    And @TheMrWobbly 1 million steps in less than 2 months?!! What?! I bow down to you sir!

As for my HR, I normally run an easy pace around 118 when in shape and running consistently. It's been that way for years, although it was quite a bit higher years ago when I first started running. It is taken from my Garmin 235 (wrist), so it may not be as accurate as a chest strap, but it's all relative. During speed work, I have a hard time getting past 150 bpm. My RHR is usually between 38-45.
    Everyone is different, and all monitors can be off, so it's hard to compare yourself to someone else's numbers. Like everything running, you have to compare yourself to you.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @PastorVincent I loved the movie, never read the book! I have doms but not terrible. I ate and drank alot yesterday and I move all day, which probably helps. No cramping or anything, though.

The movie is not the same story as the book. The movie has different characters, different events, and even a completely different ending. They both have the same starting point and track the same path for a bit then diverage wildly. I am not sure on the why of that. It is not simply that the book was better, it was a completely different story.
  • PastorVincent
    Congrats @TheMrWobbly !
  • PastorVincent
    @Scott6255 137?!?!?!

Do not do this :) His heart rate has nothing to do with yours. His could be 90 while sprinting uphill, and yours could be 190 at rest. There is no correlation between the numbers. No connection. There at zillions of factors at play, almost none of which you can control or change.

The only thing that matters in heart rate, assuming you use it for training, is your personal range. No external value matters.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,942 Member
    edited February 2020
    @rheddmobile Don't think I would like sloshing through the bog. Good luck on the race this weekend. Hope the brace keeps your husband injury free.

Congratulations @TheMrWobbly ! That's an awesome accomplishment.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Gave me my 100 mile bib in RTY!

Congratulations Teammate!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited February 2020
    I want to say this...if there's a will, there's a way...I know every single person here will accomplish their goals. I saw so many signs that I loved yesterday. "You are stronger than you think"...was one of my favorites. You are!!!

YAy!!!

From Wikipedia:
    Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise.

More simply... 24-48 hours AFTER a marathon a runner who did not take steps prevent it is likely to be hit with a wave of pain and stiffness. A runner who did take steps to prevent it is less likely too.

Steps to prevent are the normal active recovery things: Eat and drink well and keep moving.

Ahhhhh that makes sense!

So i am also an avid reader and since we are so busy, i often resort to audio books. Whatever i can get my hands on. I read a lot about running, but right now I’m really into psychological thrillers.

I just started A Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware, and the main character is a runner. This book conveys what it feels like to run - the emotional side of the WHY we run - so well. I am in my happy place :)

I just finished book 5 of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (in Audio) which of course ends on a cliffhanger and book 6 is not out yet. Yay.

I have only read books 1 & 2. I have 3 & 4 but haven't gotten to them yet.
  • PastorVincent

YAy!!!

From Wikipedia:

Ahhhhh that makes sense!

I have only read books 1 & 2. I have 3 & 4 but haven't gotten to them yet.

Book three really feels like the end. Book 4/5 feels like the author was like "dang these books are selling well, I should write more" - they are weaker, IMO.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @PastorVincent Without even reading them, that's kind of what I suspected. Just a feeling lol

I have too many TBR books. This year I'm trying really hard to 1) not buy new books and 2) only read what I already have. I have failed on point 1 multiple times already. And then every week or so I have to see if anything new in Amazon Prime sounds good. I'm trying not to fill up my 10 books there. Currently only have 8. I have a problem.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @rheddmobile can you duct-tape your shoes on or something? I bet one of our ultra trail runners on here would know...

@LoveyChar I'm being funny here, but I'm not sure I'd take any of the brother-in-law's advice. No breakfast before a marathon? Just eat whatever worked for breakfast before your long training runs. There should be porta-potties along the route, and tummy trouble can have all kinds of causes (like dumping sugar and unknown sports drinks into an empty stomach while running). Oh but I guess if you only eat burritos and didn't actually DO those training runs, then yes, skip breakfast and go run a marathon ;)
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @Camaramandy648
    loved the Silent Patient! Could not stop listening - actually made me run farther! That will be a great movie.
    I also loved The Dutch House - Tom Hanks is the reader - so good! And just finished The Giver of Stars - very enjoyable.

@LoveyChar
    Had to be the same guy! So cool. Sorry about your nerves - the great news - all that first marathon jitters, eating, etc is over! You are a veteran now! Next year will seem easy ;)
  • PastorVincent
    @PastorVincent Without even reading them, that's kind of what I suspected. Just a feeling lol

I have too many TBR books. This year I'm trying really hard to 1) not buy new books and 2) only read what I already have. I have failed on point 1 multiple times already. And then every week or so I have to see if anything new in Amazon Prime sounds good. I'm trying not to fill up my 10 books there. Currently only have 8. I have a problem.

10 books in Prime? What does that mean? I have Amazon prime of course...
  • PastorVincent
    @PastorVincent for the love of all that is good, read

The Silent Patient

And anything by Ruth Ware. Everything she writes is so interesting and within the first chapter, the reader is generally anxiously waiting for “WHAT is going to happen!?”

Thanks for the recommendation, but I doubt I would enjoy it. I only read (and write) in the Noble Bright genre and typically SciFi and Fantasy inside that. Physiological Thrillers are not really my jam.

That is, of course, no reflection on the book, it is just not my thing :)