60 yrs and up

Replies

• Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Welcome, Lisa, this is a good group. I hope we can all inspire each other to success.

getthebabeba.. , thanks for the article. I am hearing " mindful eating " from many directions lately. I have been trying it and do see a difference. Today I have company at the house and I have been dreading the fact that there are lots of fattening foods out. It usually triggers a binge and then as you say it's hard to get back on track. I'm going to try to use the mindful eating and see if it will get me through without over eating and ruining all my progress.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Welcome to all the new folks. Another good read from @getthebabeback , perfect timing for Super Bowl food strategy tips. Here's my plan, all food is recorded in my tracker and the kitchen prep complete. When I serve the game day food I'll be more aware of each bite, savor the healthy choices, eat slowly and breathe deeply so that I feel satisfied. Had a nice walk and since my joints were a littly achy did a chair resistance band video "Senior Fitness With Meredith" on YouTube. Thanks for all the motivation and keep up the good work y'all. Om....
  • Pshellnutt
    Pshellnutt Posts: 1 Member
    Hello. I have used MFP on and off for several years. Loosing weight has been an issue. Two years ago i had a hip replacement and it is taking time to get motivated. I am semi retired and want to get back in shape to enjoy retirement. I have had some success using Noom but as always, the weight has come back on. I have learned a lot during this journey and it all boils down to being accountable and eating in moderation. Logging in MFP is so much easier than other trackers and i can import my recipes from CopyMeThat to get the calories and nutrients. So i am testing the waters again to decide if i want to continue with Noom or devote my time to MFP.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    How does Noom help? Is it worth it? Been curious about it.
  • MaryBryan7324
    MaryBryan7324 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, all! I'm a noob and love reading your comments. Haven't figured out how to add friends? Anyone able to help me with that?
  • getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    Hi all, today is almost over here, down south...I mean way, way down south. Another wonderful day with more travellers joining the journey, how exciting. So interesting picking up clues about where everybody is from. I live in south western NSW (oops New South Wales) in an area known as the Riverina.
    Currently, I am visiting my elderly mum and it is very hard to keep to some kind of plan. It is too stressful for her to contemplate making meals within a calorie range etc, so I have to just do the best I can and let this week go. I will just work harder once I am back home. (My mum insists that she cook for me, I insist that I do all the prep and cleaning up.)
    Glad some of you liked the articles and interestingly my daughter in law mentioned Noom. I haven't had a chance to do any research on it as yet but am interested in the thoughts of others.
    Hey, the Superbowl. I do believe an Aussie kicked off! That's all I know!
    I have been reading again and I liked this article. I found it very relevant and understanding of our age group and our particular circumstances. What struck me was the first point which stated, focus on fat loss rather than weight loss. When you think about it we do look at body size reduction (like that term?) the wrong way. I don't want the weight of my muscles to be less, I actually want them to weigh more. I certainly don't want my bones to be thinner.
    I would rather that spare tyre (tire) was in the boot (trunk) of my car not around my middle! Watching US television has made me bilingual. :D
    https://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/a20476245/lose-weight-after-60/
    c7p29ql75bez.jpg
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 526 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi y'all, I'm 68, I've lost 58 pounds and am now in maintenance, but I'm still here logging every day because if I don't, I start to gain again. Please feel free to add me, I'm here for the long haul!

And @MaryBryan7324 to add friends from the boards, click on their picture, then click on their picture again. That will take you to their profile, and you can click on "add friend". Easy Peasy. 😉
  • AuntieAnna1
    AuntieAnna1 Posts: 1 Member
    Good morning all. The sun is shining in Canada's capital, even if the temperatures continue to be a little frigid! I am a few months shy of my 60th birthday, so hoping to sneek my way in ;) After many years of gaining/losing the same weight, and stopping/starting excercise, I hope to say good-bye to 70 unwanted lbs this year. One day at a time!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    Good morning all. The sun is shining in Canada's capital, even if the temperatures continue to be a little frigid! I am a few months shy of my 60th birthday, so hoping to sneek my way in ;) After many years of gaining/losing the same weight, and stopping/starting excercise, I hope to say good-bye to 70 unwanted lbs this year. One day at a time!

Good luck!
  • annliz23
    poisonesse wrote: »
    Hi y'all, I'm 68, I've lost 58 pounds and am now in maintenance, but I'm still here logging every day because if I don't, I start to gain again. Please feel free to add me, I'm here for the long haul!

And @MaryBryan7324 to add friends from the boards, click on their picture, then click on their picture again. That will take you to their profile, and you can click on "add friend". Easy Peasy. 😉

Well done,
  • judyandrod
    judyandrod Posts: 4 Member
    Hi everyone.....I am new to this site. Am 76 yrs old and find I don't lose weight as I used to.
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    I'm Steve. 65 years on this rock. Papa/cook/lifter/hiker/angler/dog servant. Live in Idaho near Boise.
    Hey Steve, sounds like you have done well keeping the weight off, I think that is harder than losing it. Good luck with that last few pounds! I am near Brigham City, not far down the road from you. Not originally from around here though, just getting to know the area.
    How does Noom help? Is it worth it? Been curious about it.
    So am I, hope someone answers.
    Hi all, today is almost over here, down south...I mean way, way down south.
    I am originally from Louisiana, US and always called myself a southerner, you got me beat by a long shot! Hey I really appreciate your posts and efforts keeping this tread interesting. Thanks!
    Hi, all! I'm a noob and love reading your comments. Haven't figured out how to add friends? Anyone able to help me with that?
    I don't know much more than you, but after posting this will try and friend you. Maybe we'll both learn something.

I had a good day since posting yesterday, I kept on my plan and got a little exercise in. Hope others are doing at least as well!
  • annliz23
    m8ao5io60xpx.jpg
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Good afternoon group and welcome to the new additions.
    Yesterday I stayed at my 1200 calorie food allowance and still enjoyed smaller portion Super Bowl snacks and dinner. The game is on in the early evening here on the US East Coast so most of my eating for the day was around the dinner hour. I drank water and tea to keep my appetite in check until game time. As I snacked and enjoyed dinner I ate slowly and valued each bite. At the end of the game I was sated by the healthy food choices and felt like I was a winner too. In my mind I pictured a tiny Tiffany Sterling Silver Shapely Trophy as my prize for winning the good food/bad food choice game.
    Today has been a beautiful spring like day here. My exercises for today were a Senior Fitness Class in my building and a trip to the local county farm park where all the animals were out grazing in the fields except the hogs who were sleeping in the barn. Got a nice 2.5mi walk in the sunshine.
    Wishing y'all well. Om....

• msoldnumber7
    msoldnumber7 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all. Loving this group. Youtube videos I didn't know about and will check out as I have a hard time exercising with this stupid bad hip. Was a rough weekend food wise but I'm back on track today. Thank you all for being so positive & inspiring. Much needed for this chubby little chick from West Michigan. Finally have had the first sight of the sun in probably over a month for 2 whole days now.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm Steve. 65 years on this rock. Papa/cook/lifter/hiker/angler/dog servant. Live in Idaho near Boise.
    Hey Steve, sounds like you have done well keeping the weight off, I think that is harder than losing it. Good luck with that last few pounds! I am near Brigham City, not far down the road from you. Not originally from around here though, just getting to know the area.

Heard that. Maintenance is a struggle sometimes, too. No matter - I was overweight for a long time. Life is still easier at a lower weight, even if it is not your ideal weight.
    I don't know much more than you, but after posting this will try and friend you. Maybe we'll both learn something.

I had a good day since posting yesterday, I kept on my plan and got a little exercise in. Hope others are doing at least as well!

To add friends on the MFP desktop app:

1) Click on the username in the left sidebar. A window showing the username will open.
    2) Click on the username again. The user's profile will open.
    3) Click on the "Add Friend" button on the user's profile page. There is an option to send a message along with the request. That's always a good idea - just a short note mentioning where you saw the user, some common interests or goals, etc.

Will send both of you a friend request.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Between having health related appointments and wanting to watch the "run-up" coverage to Super Bowl LIV (congratulations Chiefs and fans!), I had an abysmal week exercise wise! Now that that's all over, I'm trying to bounce back. I got off to good start today with a nearly hour long walk outside on this nutty spring-like February day!
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Welcome to all the new people. Our group is growing all the time. You all have so much to share. I always leave feeling like I have gained new ideas and support from all of your comments. 😊 I had a successful day yesterday even though we had a house full of goodies to feed our guests. That is usually enough to sabotage my good intentions to eat healthy but with a large glass of water by my side and a plan of what I would allow myself to have I didn't over indulge. It was such a good feeling.
    I'm from New England in the US. It was a beautiful day here despite the fact that it is February. We've had almost no snow here this year and above average temperatures. That is not normal weather for us. But it has made it easy for me to get out and walk a lot more than I normally do in the winter. 🚶‍♀️
    Wishing you all another healthy successful day tomorrow.
  • annliz23
    Between having health related appointments and wanting to watch the "run-up" coverage to Super Bowl LIV (congratulations Chiefs and fans!), I had an abysmal week exercise wise! Now that that's all over, I'm trying to bounce back. I got off to good start today with a nearly hour long walk outside on this nutty spring-like February day!

Fantastic