60 yrs and up

Replies

• getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    Hey everyone, great to read all the news and hi to new friends on the thread. Its fun to find out where people are from. My week is going, well its just going. I have decided to not stress myself by worrying about what I cannot really control this week. It is actually very liberating but no doubt I will have to pay the piper!
    I am in awe of how much exercise people are doing and how much progress is being made. So many pounds, wow. Massive high 5 to you all. You inspire me. In the past, I have never really enjoyed or wanted to get involved in threads like this BUT, I get so much enjoyment logging in to this every day and reading about your lives. Sometimes I almost forget to log my food!
    This group is smart enough to know how important this thread is to our success and how we can actually help each of us achieve the losses we hope for but if there was any doubt, this article may be of interest.
    Well it is quite late here, almost tomorrow in fact, so I will say goodnight and wish everyone a happy, productive day tomorrow. I think you are all amazing. Cheers!
    https://www.livescience.com/49602-online-social-support-lose-weight.html
    h5sfazgrio9p.png
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Hello everyone. I've been reading all the posts here and this seems like a great group. 60 years old here. I noticed a lot of questions about NOOM and got curious myself so I looked it up. Here's a good article from Good Housekeeping about the pros and cons of NOOM:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a26023584/noom-diet-plan-review/[url="http://"][/url]

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited February 2020
    royboy969 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, 65 here. I have been through the lose weight before and was successful, but after a bike accident (who said getting healthy wasn't dangerous) I got away from things and put most of the weight back. Time to get a head start on the spring. I hope to join a bike club and get my first 50 mile ride in. Feel free to add me, especially if you are in the Chicagoland area. One good thing about turning 65 is Silver Sneakers.
    Hello everyone, 65 here. I have been through the lose weight before and was successful, but after a bike accident (who said getting healthy wasn't dangerous) I got away from things and put most of the weight back. Time to get a head start on the spring. I hope to join a bike club and get my first 50 mile ride in. Feel free to add me, especially if you are in the Chicagoland area. One good thing about turning 65 is Silver Sneakers.

Welcome back
  • annliz23
    RCPV wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I've been reading all the posts here and this seems like a great group. 60 years old here. I noticed a lot of questions about NOOM and got curious myself so I looked it up. Here's a good article from Good Housekeeping about the pros and cons of NOOM:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a26023584/noom-diet-plan-review/[url="http://"][/url]

Thanks
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Just got back from a walk. It's overcast here but spring like. I agree. I have never gotten in to threads like this either but I am enjoying this one. Everyone is so positive and ready to help each other out that it really gives me incentive to stick with a healthy diet. I also read that article about NOOM in Good Housekeeping. I thought it was interesting but expensive. Thanks RCPV for posting the link to the article. I am not very computer savvy and can't do that kind of thing. I envy the people that can.

Annliz23 , what did you do to put RCPV's comment up so you could answer her directly? I've tried clicking on different things but didn't find anything that would do that.
  • royboy969
    royboy969 Posts: 218 Member
    Annliz23 , what did you do to put RCPV's comment up so you could answer her directly? I've tried clicking on different things but didn't find anything that would do that. [/quote]

Click on the "Quote button in the bottom line.
  • annliz23
    Just got back from a walk. It's overcast here but spring like. I agree. I have never gotten in to threads like this either but I am enjoying this one. Everyone is so positive and ready to help each other out that it really gives me incentive to stick with a healthy diet. I also read that article about NOOM in Good Housekeeping. I thought it was interesting but expensive. Thanks RCPV for posting the link to the article. I am not very computer savvy and can't do that kind of thing. I envy the people that can.

Annliz23 , what did you do to put RCPV's comment up so you could answer her directly? I've tried clicking on different things but didn't find anything that would do that.

Clip on the quote part type your answer then post!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I got out yesterday as I posted. Today, rain is forecast though I haven't seen it yet and I didn't feel like going to fitness center pool today. However, I got some work on home treadmill and stepper. I do like the options I given myself! 😊
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Wow our 60 and up group rocks. It's so wonderful to check in and see the support here. The informational links are great tools for keeping us healthy. @getthebabeback thanks. The link stressing the importance of having enough protein was especially reassuring now that I'm working with light weight to prevent muscle loss. Today was a great, my logged exercise was spending the day cleaning (burns more calories than you might think.) Please keep posting y'all. Om....
  • getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    Hi everyone and a special hi to the newbies who have joined our merry band.

I have spent the whole day cleaning and reorganising my elderly mum's kitchen cupboards. My fitbit tells me that I have had NO active minutes. :( I am tempted to hold it under water until it yells for mercy and changes its mind!

It is not hard to see that a common thread runs through our stories. We have all lost weight, probably several times but it invariably finds its way back. It is like that old joke, hey I've lost a hundred pounds, yep the same pound a hundred times.
    The stats on weight loss tell us that this is our fate but one I would like to be ready for long before I get to goal. Most of the articles I read say that losing weight is hard but keeping it off is harder. With that in mind, the word diet may be a good word to ditch because it comes with the idea that it has a beginning and an end. I believe we need to focus on a healthy lifestyle (a whole set of behaviours that just don't include food and exercise) so that it becomes the way we live forever, not just until we lose the weight and then pyschologically relax.
    I have found 2 articles that I will share. The first may seem like telling people how to suck eggs but I don't think it hurts to sow seeds.
    https://www.verywellfit.com/reasons-you-regain-the-weight-1231158

The second article comes from an Oprah site but the key thing in this article is about tracking and how valuable it is as record of behaviours that lead to success and how to tap into that when things may be heading off track.
    http://www.oprah.com/health_wellness/what-to-do-if-youve-regained-weight-you-lost

Sorry about today's poster, I just had to keep the Oprah theme! Forgive me, no offence intended!
    qmhtpxdszs6y.jpg

• alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Good post GTBB, and the links were helpful.

I have lost over 100 pounds more than once in life, and am kind of there again. Down 98 lbs since I began my current diet, and 138 lbs from my all time high. I am still dieting and losing weight, but worry about how I will be able to keep it off. I have never been able to do it before, I need to learn something new this time. I need all the help I can get.

When losing weight I find seeing the scale go down, and things like fitting into smaller clothes great reinforcement. However that all goes away in maintenance. I guess I need to find something to replace it. One problem I have is that I guess I have been in the fast weight loss mode, the article advises against that so my problem may be worse. On the other hand at my age with 100+ pounds to lose I am not sure I would have lived long enough to do it slowly.
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Sorry about today's poster, I just had to keep the Oprah theme! Forgive me, no offence intended!
    None taken, how can anyone not like Oprah?

• caroleme7762
    caroleme7762 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm 67 and don't now need to lose any more weight, but wish I could redistribute it! Thin limbs and neck, but stubborn fat on front of abs below navel.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    @getthebabeback, those seem like really good articles linked in your most recent post - remarkably good, considering the overall quality of diet, health and fitness content on the web!

I feel like one of the best things I did while losing weight in 2015 was deciding I wasn't going to do anything to lose weight that I couldn't seem myself keeping on doing permanently, to keep myself at a healthy weight long term, other than a sensibly moderate calorie deficit. That turned the weight loss process into a fun grown-up science fair project, in which I was experimenting to find eating and activity strategies that would fit into my life well, suit the weight I wanted to be; plus keep full, happy and well-nourished while doing them. Going on 5 years later, I'm still at a healthy weight (mid-130s pounds at 5'5"), after 3+ previous decades of obesity . . . so far, so good. :)

Most of the things in those articles resonate with me.

(snip for reply length)

I have spent the whole day cleaning and reorganising my elderly mum's kitchen cupboards. My fitbit tells me that I have had NO active minutes. :( I am tempted to hold it under water until it yells for mercy and changes its mind!

(snip for reply length)

That can be frustrating! Sometimes, I find myself falling for the idea that if my device didn't count it, or I didn't log it, whatever it is doesn't actually count. But our bodies count everything!

If the cleaning/reorganizing was above and beyond the activity level of your normal day, you burned a few extra calories, and every little bit adds up, whether we see each little increment on the device (or our body scale) clearly and separately or not. The devices, in particular, just measure things like steps, arm movements, maybe heart rate and altitude, etc., and use that to estimate how active we are, or how many calories we're burning. It's still just an estimate. Reality is what counts! ;)

Best wishes to all for continued success!
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Hello all. I'm 60, and have dabbled with MFP in the past. I retired a few years ago and then got hit with some life changing stuff that really slowed me down, and as a result I'm developing a steadily-expanding spare tire. After coming bck to MFP and checking what I eat and how much I'm moving, I now realize I'm consuming far too much in the way of carbs and sugar and not getting enough exercise. So here I am. I've got to get smart about this now, before it goes any further.
  • Timberlan127

Click on the "Quote button in the bottom line. [/quote]

Thanks! You can tell I will never make computer geek. I appreciate the help!
  • Timberlan127
    annliz23 wrote: »

Clip on the quote part type your answer then post!
    💙
    Thanks!!!
  • Timberlan127
    Hi everyone and a special hi to the newbies who have joined our merry band.

It is not hard to see that a common thread runs through our stories. We have all lost weight, probably several times but it invariably finds its way back. It is like that old joke, hey I've lost a hundred pounds, yep the same pound a hundred times.
    The stats on weight loss tell us that this is our fate but one I would like to be ready for long before I get to goal. Most of the articles I read say that losing weight is hard but keeping it off is harder. With that in mind, the word diet may be a good word to ditch because it comes with the idea that it has a beginning and an end. I believe we need to focus on a healthy lifestyle (a whole set of behaviours that just don't include food and exercise) so that it becomes the way we live forever, not just until we lose the weight and then pyschologically relax.
    I have found 2 articles that I will share. The first may seem like telling people how to suck eggs but I don't think it hurts to sow seeds.
    https://www.verywellfit.com/reasons-you-regain-the-weight-1231158

The second article comes from an Oprah site but the key thing in this article is about tracking and how valuable it is as record of behaviours that lead to success and how to tap into that when things may be heading off track.
    http://www.oprah.com/health_wellness/what-to-do-if-youve-regained-weight-you-lost

qmhtpxdszs6y.jpg

Thanks for continuing to give us great articles. And I agree ... drown that fitbit if it says No active minutes for cleaning!!! LOL