I went vegan and GAINED weight?!?!

I’m trying to figure out what has caused this. Let me be honest. Although I went vegan Jan 1st, I still consumed more calories than I should have. Yes I was eating nuts, rice, some pasta, legumes but also loads of veggies. I even tried IF while vegan and it seems to not want to budge. I’ve been steady all month! I do drink red wine at least a glass two to three times a week. I might just stop that. I do feel like I have more energy but was expecting a little more from cutting meat (red) and dairy. I ate eggs this am because I was so hungry. I would like to stay vegan but not if I keep going up on the scale! Inputs and thoughts appreciated. I just turned 50 so maybe my metabolism is slowing down.

Replies

• Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Calories in calories out - there is plenty of high calorie junk food.
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    It is no myth overweight vegans are not unicorns we do exsist .. It can be a challenge to get in enough protien to help regulate the carbs even when one as being careful.. as others have said it is calories in calories out.. I am trying to get back to plant based and stop being a lazy vegan.. sending freind request
  • Pippylo0
    Pippylo0 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2020
    Im plant based (98% vegan) and I'm 41, its defo not easy to lose weight, Im 5'4 and 138lbs, cutting 500 Kcals so intake is 1500, if I workout, I will eat a bit more but weight isnt shifting yet (I've been mainly just doing physio due to injury, and work is busy, retail, but its not a workout) I have been injured which I feel is slowing down the results. Managed to lose a couple kilos a year ago, but I was training more then as my back wasnt as bad and Im now trying to shed another 10lbs or so if possible. 1500 Kcals isnt a ton of food, and like others have said its very easy to bump up your Kcals if adding oils or eating pasta. I feel your struggle.. add me if ya like :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    In addition to the number of calories, how is your balance of macros? It’s fairly easy on a vegan diet to eat too many carbs. For instance, you could eat too much fruit or your ratio of grains to legumes could be off (you need grains + legumes to make complete proteins, but grains are overall fairly low in protein). Or you might be eating too much fat if you’re dousing everything in olive oil. Either way, a proper balance is important in order to feel full by the time you run out of calories.