I went vegan and GAINED weight?!?!

Options

Replies

• chrisvideoedit
    chrisvideoedit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

If you are gaining weight with a vegan diet I am not surprised. They eat a lot of rice, potatoes and pasta. That is an absolute no no.

Low fat meat protein sources are best. If you eat carbs and sugars you’ll gain weight.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Vegatables and other non meat products contain calories. Thats probably why you gained weight.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

If you are gaining weight with a vegan diet I am not surprised. They eat a lot of rice, potatoes and pasta. That is an absolute no no.

Low fat meat protein sources are best. If you eat carbs and sugars you’ll gain weight.

Been vegan for 6 years, eat carbs every meal, and never gone past 125 pounds (5'7 height) all these years. Guess my body forgot the memo that it was supposed to gain weight...

...Or it could be that I don't overeat on calories.

You have me curious! If you've never gone over 125 lbs... a weight I would LOVE to reach, by the way... what brings you to MFP? I can't imagine that I would have ever found the site, much less thought to join, if it weren't for the fact that I needed a solution to losing weight.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    An awful lot of good looking vegan dishes have 'hidden' calories to bump up the taste and nutrients. It'll be veg, grain, all good, and then down the ingredients list it'll be "half a cup of tahini" or they'll use a lot of garbanzo or rice flour or something. You have to watch your intake no matter how healthy you are feeling something is.
  • karenscfld
    karenscfld Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Vegan eating is mostly cabs. I would be HUGE if I went vegan. I would think a very strict calorie intake and high energy output is the only way to lose weight no matter what sort of diet you choose. The only problem with vegan, you body has lots of energy source via the food you eat so it doesn't need to go after the fat reserves.
  • ChantayMija
    ChantayMija Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gained weight eating mostly vegan too!

Vegan foods are high in calories unless you eat mostly pure veggies, but pure veggies are hard to keep stocked.

I’ve been eating dried foods and saw weight gain too.

Hopefully I can shop for fresh veggies more often soon!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    An awful lot of good looking vegan dishes have 'hidden' calories to bump up the taste and nutrients. It'll be veg, grain, all good, and then down the ingredients list it'll be "half a cup of tahini" or they'll use a lot of garbanzo or rice flour or something. You have to watch your intake no matter how healthy you are feeling something is.

This reminds me of the original "Moosewood Cookbook," which is vegetarian. It has some extremely caloric recipes thanks to copious amounts of calorie dense foods like cheese and cream.

That said, I had no issues with my weight during the three years I lived in vegetarian yoga communities which served a lot of vegan meals.