OMAD Accountability thread

Options
Hi Guys,

My name is Carmen and I am 34 years old. I am 6ft 1in and I weigh 327. I was very serious about getting bariatric surgery and was pretty much done with all the requirements and just changed my mind. I felt like I could do this on my own and there was no need for me to alter my body if I could just be strong and do this myself. I struggle with willpower and I am hoping OMAD is my answer. I am not doing anything special with OMAD just eating a normal meal with some carbs within an hour window. I think I can buckle down and lower my carbs (low carb, no keto) but I need this to be as simple as possible. Let me know if you have any ideas or if you have a story to share. I'd love to hear it.

Replies

• carmenmweeks
    carmenmweeks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I honestly thought somehow this would be put in an OMAD thread with people who are doing OMAD. I am a firm believer in intermittent fasting and I get that some people aren't.
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Carmen,
    You posted on the OMAD Revolution group page ---that is the right place for your OMAD journey. I responded to your introduction post and our group is super supportive :).

• carmenmweeks
    Options
    Thanks so much!!! You are one of the people I was following when I was just kind of reading the success stories. Your transformation is inspiring.
  • carmenmweeks
    Options
    Full disclosure: I have done horrible. I start OMAD tomorrow. I realized my goal is not just weight loss but healthy and strong. I don't want to do keto or any other diet because I want to fuel my body for running because that is what I enjoy and I want to get back to it. I am going to take a "before" pic tomorrow and I will post my food and my daily struggles and maybe others can relate. I really need to take accountability.
  • peppapink20
    peppapink20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what OMAD was☺️
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,044 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Carmen, did you know there is an OMAD Group? This thread that you are posting in is in the "Getting Started" General Forums and you may not get a lot of support or understanding here.

Below is a link to the OMAD Group (in "Groups") - apparently according to @volgirl1322 above you already joined.

Good luck with whatever schedule of eating suits you. Just don't beat yourself up over not being perfect at it. Weight loss doesn't have to be torture.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/20634-omad-revolution
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what OMAD was☺️

One Meal A Day. OMAD. Basically you eat all, or the vast majority, of your calories in one sitting/meal/short time frame.

It doesn't do anything special or magical. It's just an eating pattern that some find suits them and makes eating fewer calories easier.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I have done horrible. I start OMAD tomorrow. I realized my goal is not just weight loss but healthy and strong. I don't want to do keto or any other diet because I want to fuel my body for running because that is what I enjoy and I want to get back to it. I am going to take a "before" pic tomorrow and I will post my food and my daily struggles and maybe others can relate. I really need to take accountability.

@carmenmweeks

You do not have to force yourself into OMAD, keto, low carb, or any of the fad diets out there. I suggest you read this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

One of the reasons I always failed is because I also chose to make things harder than they needed to be. Weight loss is about eating less food than you burn each day. The secret is to do something you can do easily every single day until the weight is gone and then adapt it to do it every single day for the rest of your life.
  • cheripie1
    cheripie1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm doing an organic plant based chocolate meal replacement at 140 calories for breakfast and lunch, then a normal dinner. It is working... I'm satisfied and losing 1.5lbs a week, this is week 4. I weigh weekly, feel free to add me :-)
  • mrsleilanie2020
    mrsleilanie2020 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello. I also do one meal a day... I pretty much fast all day and night and I usually have my one meal a day at 3pm when I work and 6pm when I am off. This seems to work for me because I work late. In 3 weeks I am down 14 lbs. I hope to be down another 30lbs by June 1st. The hardest part for me is not drinking during my days off. Feel free to add me! Good luck 😊
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @carmenmweeks you should definitely try OMAD since it seems to be shining brightly on your radar right now.

But it is troubling that you talk about needing to be motivated to implement it. Or being bad and doing it tomorrow.

I (re)started trying to manage my activity level and weight just over six years ago.

During that time I've eaten multiple small meals a day. I've eaten relatively lower carb as compared to my norm. I've eaten lower fat as compared to my norm. I've had a few OMAD experiences. I've tried eating at set times that suited others, or eating at different times that suited my mood. I've tried eating more, but less calorically dense food, and eating less, but more calorically dense, food. I've eaten "clean" home prepared food, and eaten nuked cans, or nuked frozen meals, or fast food and restaurant food. I've being more active at times and I've been less active at times.

And do you know what worked for me?

ALL OF THEM WORKED.

Seriously. After 6 years I can report that I can either gain or lose or maintain weight following ANY of the above methods.

Some of them suit my daily life more than the others and I would prefer them to be being "forced" into something different long term. And some of them have suited me more at different times during the past six years.

But NONE of them stop me from being able to manage my weight if I am mentally willing to put in the effort to do so and either stop eating when I am no longer physically hungry, or, manage my food intake based on my logging goals. Because, yes, I do remain perfectly capable of consuming calories for many reasons beyond physical hunger. So something has to come in and regulate this.

So why don't I weight today what I did six years ago?

Because during the first three years of weight management, I logged about 480,000 apparent Calories of energy deficit. Of which about 440,000 showed up as a change in my actual weight trend.

Try OMAD. It does work for many. Unless and until it doesn't. And if it doesn't there is no reason not to change it to something that makes life EASIER.

You don't get bonus points for difficulty! You do get to lose weight in a healthy manner, given your starting point, by creating a 750 to 1000 Cal a day deficit, over an extended period of time. The easier you make it to get back on the program when you inevitably get off... the more easy it will be for you to keep accumulating the deficit days!

Your high percentage health befits are not associated with the length of your fasts!

The bulk of your health benefits will come from both reducing your weight by 10% or more and MAINTAINING that loss longer term.