60 yrs and up

Replies

• I bought a set of stretch bands and use them in the house when I am looking for something to do that is not “housework”. It can be as little as 5 min or as much as 15 min
  • pippo_11
    pippo_11 Posts: 42 Member
    Qltmom4 wrote: »
    Good morning all, today I am 61!! I am 194 lbs, most I've ever weighed. Part of the problem is I work 10 hour days sitting at a computer.

Ask your employer to purchase you a height adjustable desk riser, then you can decide to stand when you want, or lower to sit. A stool is good for this setup too, as you can sit and get much better back posture.

• lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Happy birthday Qltmom4 hope your having a great day!!
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    It sure is promising to see all the inspiring advice from our group. Welcome to the new joins.
    Tracking for the day each morning and planning my exercise along with moving more through the day seems to fall into place more easily with repetition. I will reach and maintain my goal this year. Today I added a little more weight to the gym workout. Slow and steady makes it possible. Keep up the good work y'all and enjoy your evening treat of "If every day were like today…you'd weigh ___ in 5 weeks."
  • pippo_11
    pippo_11 Posts: 42 Member
    ...You can also get a ball and during commercials throw it up and catch it by the time the commercials are over you have done some cardio.

I have a pair of dumbbells and do the same during commercials. If you don’t have to concentrate too much, like watching sport, it’s easy to get yourself into a rhythm and keep on going. Bicep curls is an easy one to start with.

• lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning :) I am really enjoying all the suggestions and shares about what everyone is doing to be active. I think this is going to be a fun and encouraging experience. Thanks everyone ;)
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    899u2ail9gz6.jpeg

Good morning from Texas! This is my view this morning from my front porch. I came out here to have my coffee and read through my Sunday School lesson before church. I had a few extra minutes so I thought I would explore the Community section of this app. I’ve been using the app for quite some time but have never taken a look. What a delightful surprise to find such an enthusiastic collection of compatriots who share such similar demographics! I am looking forward to reading through the previous posts later this afternoon so I can get to know each of you a bit. I am interested to know if you feel participating in this group is proving helpful in your weight loss journey. Is it a tool you often use?

It keeps me on track and adding friends too
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    ... What a delightful surprise to find such an enthusiastic collection of compatriots who share such similar demographics! I am looking forward to reading through the previous posts later this afternoon so I can get to know each of you a bit. I am interested to know if you feel participating in this group is proving helpful in your weight loss journey. Is it a tool you often use?

I tell people that the mutual support and encouragement is the best feature of this website. I've been overweight most of my life - lost and gained weight numerous times - yada yada yada. This site has helped me lose 50 pounds and keep it off for two years. Had never maintained any loss for that long in the past. Definitely has helped me.

• alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Hey Jim Welcome!
    njag6393 wrote: »
    I have learned that as I have gotten older it’s easy to expect too much of your body and get discouraged so that is one area I am trying to correct, which is to be patient.
    That is true, patience is important. In my case I have been surprised with what my old body still can do. It takes a bit longer to build it up, but many of the old muscles are still there and able.

Good luck to you!

Rob

• ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    I just wanted to add my thoughts. As I have limited mobility due to knee and foot issues, I have not been able to do any of my usual fun things that I like to do. Having said that, I have been careful at what I eat and stay within the calorie allotment that Mfp has provided. I have been steadily losing weight. It's the old adage, calories in, versus calories out. So if you have limited mobility, losing weight can be done. Also, if your arms are ok, you can do weight resistance, I do that everytime I go to the powder room or kitchen! Have a great day everyone😊
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    Hi!

Please add me. I'm 68, just coming off of 3 spinal surgeries for herniated discs, and I want to lose 20 more pounds (down 38 from 3 years ago).

Julia
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hello and wishing each of you well.
    I'm so enjoying all your posts. The beautiful pictures from "your neck of the woods" are a delight.
    Thanks and welcome to all the new members. I hope we continue to be an active group supporting one another in our quest for fitness. I think it will help keep us on track.
    Today I did YouTube "Senior Fitness with Meredith - Resistance Bands Full Body Workout," some hand weight reps, floor core and leg work. Also practiced balance and some techniques for getting up and down from the floor more easily (senior falls can be serious.) The sunshine and predicted rain this week got me out to the park for a nice long walk too. Lately I've amazed myself at what I can accomplish in spite of pain from knee and shoulder arthritis and discomfort from the other knee total replacement some time ago. Carrying less weight may postpone further joint replacement! Staying focused, Om…

• geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I just wanted to add my thoughts. As I have limited mobility due to knee and foot issues, I have not been able to do any of my usual fun things that I like to do. Having said that, I have been careful at what I eat and stay within the calorie allotment that Mfp has provided. I have been steadily losing weight. It's the old adage, calories in, versus calories out. So if you have limited mobility, losing weight can be done. Also, if your arms are ok, you can do weight resistance, I do that everytime I go to the powder room or kitchen! Have a great day everyone😊

If addressing your knee and foot issues are medically or surgically possible, by means seriously consider it. Getting my hips replaced last year was nothing short of lifechanging!! For years before, I was an immobile mess and for years being a stubborn jack--- in resisting all notions of getting checked/treated didn't help none! Simply being ABLE to move around is nothing but an asset to overall health and weight loss; less than a month after 2nd surgery I weighed 281, today I hover around the 240 area. I applaud what you do and wish you well.