Help

Options
I am just starting out, I don’t really understand Macros etc. I obviously know to keep my calories in deficit to lose weight ( my goal ) I have been told to stay under 1500 calories per day, I have some fruit in the morning and a protein shake at lunch and a healthy dinner around 6/6:30. My calorie intake for each day this week has sat around the 1000 mark. I’m only feeling hungry when I should be. However the app is saying try more nutrient rich snacks/food/ beverages. Does anyone have any advice & or recommendations for these? I can’t train for 3 weeks due to injury so atm very inactive. Should I be worried about the lack of calories? What is the best way to increase my nutrient intake? Apologies for the long essay. Just very in the dark with this. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For me personally that is NOT enough food at all! Are you saying you aren't hungry after eating these things throughout the day?

• DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    1st since you're a male, the minimum amount of calories' 1500.

2nd depending upon if your weight's an immediate danger, to your health & depending upon what your injury's, a deficit might hinder your ability to heal.

Even if you weren't dealing, with an injury but especially since you're this isn't just worrisome, it's dangerous.

Since you aren't hungry, I suggest adding some low volume but calorie dense items such as: olive oil, peanut butter, most condiments & salad dressings.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    App is telling you to eat more nutrient dense food because you aren't eating enough food. 1500 is the lowest amount a male should consume and 1200 for female. It won't kill you immediately if you go below it, but your body will begin eating away at things you want to keep. Eat more food, and you'll be fine.
  • jamie9138
    jamie9138 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It’s the app that’s telling me to stick to 1500 per day 🤔 am I misunderstanding it?
  • ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use an ANDI chart to help make decisions on nutritional food choices. It's easy enough to find one on the internet. Although this doesn't fit your circumstance, I find that foods that have more nutritional density help me cut down on cravings. As far as nutritional density goes, it starts with leafy green vegetables with beans usually being next.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    jamie9138 wrote: »
    Thank you. It’s the app that’s telling me to stick to 1500 per day 🤔 am I misunderstanding it?

Based on what you input into the guided setup, but you may have selected too aggressive a goal. Or maybe not.
    What are your stats (age/height/current weight) and goal weight.

1000 calories is very very low and will not help you recover from your injury.

Who/What has told you to stay under 1500 calories?

Please answer these questions so we can better help you.

In short, 1000 calories per day is too few and certainly will not aid recovery from injury. Not to mention it is setting you to potentially fail in this diet in the short term or experience long term health problems.
  • jamie9138
    Options
    31, 174cm , 107KG goal weight 80-85kg
  • jamie9138
    Options
    Ah ok, I’ll change that now. Thanks very much everybody for your help and input. Really appreciated
  • jamie9138
    Options
    DanP wow! You’ve completely hit the nail on the head.

I have been eating bad/junk food for a long period of time. I could easily hit a higher calorie intake if I ate the same as what I have.

Like you said I think I’ve dived into the deep end with it but completely cutting out junk food. I am trying to eat purely whole food and really healthy stuff and still reach my calorie intake which I’m struggling with.

I knew from the start that the 1000-1500 calories a day was too low for my health hence why I asked for help/advice on here.

I’ll keep at it as it’s clearly learn as you go and do the wrong things before I realise what is right for me.

I just wish there was a ‘ dummies guide ‘ just to tell me what to eat and when and still lose weight to improve my health etc.

Thank you
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I have been eating bad/junk food for a long period of time. I could easily hit a higher calorie intake if I ate the same as what I have.

Like you said I think I’ve dived into the deep end with it but completely cutting out junk food. I am trying to eat purely whole food and really healthy stuff and still reach my calorie intake which I’m struggling with.

I knew from the start that the 1000-1500 calories a day was too low for my health hence why I asked for help/advice on here.

I’ll keep at it as it’s clearly learn as you go and do the wrong things before I realise what is right for me.

I just wish there was a ‘ dummies guide ‘ just to tell me what to eat and when and still lose weight to improve my health etc.

Thank you

Not exactly a dummies guide :tongue: but there are Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum with lots of great info! These right here are a great starting point:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Just keep learning, good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The 1500 goal is based on your inputs. If you put in an aggressive weekly weight loss goal, the app defaults to the minimum.

1500 is for short, sedentary and/or elderly men.

Calorie dense foods - nuts, nut butters, roast your veggies in olive oil, avocado, full fat dairy. You want to lose fat yet keep muscle mass.
  • JulieMDEmery
    JulieMDEmery Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would stick to about 1500 calories. Make sure that you minimize complex carbs to about 50 g per day; include 4 cups of veggies and 12-16 oz of lean protein, and 3-4 servings of healthy fat. per day. Minimum of 2 litres per of water day. No sugar. Exercise is great, but overkill will deplete your energy and muscle and you won't lose much weight.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Also, since I haven't seen it recommended yet, get a food scale - if you aren't weighing what you are eating, you may find that you are actually eating more than you think you are - so that 1,000 calories may be more like 1,300.

For instance: I once picked up a banana at the local grocery store as a snack to eat on my way home. Since the receipt has the actual weight, I looked it up to enter it into my log. I was shocked to see that banana actually weighed 8 oz! What I thought was a 150 calorie banana was actually 250.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

Thank you

No worries man. I've been there and to be honest the more people I can help to avoid making the mistakes I've made the happier I am!

As for a dummies guide. The links provided are a great place to start. Managing weight really is only as complicated and difficult as we decide to make it.

Also, how much effort we put into it doesn't need to stay static. If you're feeling good then go a little bit harder (not extreme! just a bit more) but always remember that when things get tough it's much smarter to take your foot off the pedal and go slow and easy for a while than to keep pushing towards a crash n burn.

In the end it can be as simple as "Eat any food you like in a modest calorie deficit". It doesn't get much more straight forward and easy than that =).