Lifting again

Short story. 6’2” 185 50 years old.
High school through 20’s lifted off and on. Got married let myself go and got up to 240. Lost weight by eating low calorie and walking. Lost a bunch of fat and muscle. I now want to build muscle again. Will I excpect to get “noob” gains? I ride a bike and walk/jog/run 5x a week. I eat 2100-2200 calories with 30/35/35 split.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited February 2020
    High school through 20’s lifted off and on. Got married let myself go and got up to 240. Lost weight by eating low calorie and walking. Lost a bunch of fat and muscle. I now want to build muscle again. Will I excpect to get “noob” gains? I ride a bike and walk/jog/run 5x a week. I eat 2100-2200 calories with 30/35/35 split.

You can expect noob gains but not with the routine your are doing. They are all endurance exercise. If you want to rebuild some muscle, you want do do a resistance training program with progressive overload.

Your calorie spit is fine. Although you may want to view it as grams and not percentages. That is one of the drawback of the MFP system is that you have to set macro goals in percents. In order of priority, set your protein to .8 grams of body weight (this is an approximation of 1 gram per lb of lean mass but most people don't know their lean mass with any accuracy), .3 grams of fat per lb of body weight (as a minimum) and carbs where ever.

If you prefer more protein, that's fine. But there won't be additional muscle building benefit to eat more. The fats are a minimum. So, you can go over if it is a preference. Carbs are great for workout performance but your target for them will be driven by your preference, performance and total nutrition.

Your calorie goal looks reasonable. Is that a deficit or maintenance for you? If a deficit, how much are you shooting to lose per week.
  • dhfitness1969
    dhfitness1969 Posts: 9 Member
    I currently lift 5 times a week along with the cardio. I lowered my cardio to not burn so many calories. Example chest triceps Monday biceps and back Tuesday Wednesday off Thursday legs Friday chest triceps Sunday biceps and back.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    I currently lift 5 times a week along with the cardio. I lowered my cardio to not burn so many calories. Example chest triceps Monday biceps and back Tuesday Wednesday off Thursday legs Friday chest triceps Sunday biceps and back.

Pretty much what mmapages said!

Is that a program you put together yourself? If so, I suggest following a tried, tested, and true program.

Find a program that meets your goals here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• dhfitness1969
    mmapags wrote: »

Your calorie goal looks reasonable. Is that a deficit or maintenance for you? If a deficit, how much are you shooting to lose per week.

My calorie intake is set to lose 1 pound per week at my current exercise level (not set by MFP, I use calorie.net) .
    I lowered my cycling distance so i did not have to consume so many calories. I still do a 30-40 miler on the weekend, but that is a fueled ride.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Best wishes. I'm 50, 6'2" and also weighed 185 fairly recently. Bulking up to hopefully join the 1000 lb club at age 51 this year. I'm a fan of Starting Strength and Barbell Medicine if you are interested in finding a program.

The noob gains are the best. I improved my squat and deadlift quickly on the Starting Strength program and soon was lifting more than guys half my age at the gym. Wish I could have started strength training sooner and avoided all the time I spent on bodybuilding programs...
  • mmapags
    mmapags wrote: »

My calorie intake is set to lose 1 pound per week at my current exercise level (not set by MFP, I use calorie.net) .
    I lowered my cycling distance so i did not have to consume so many calories. I still do a 30-40 miler on the weekend, but that is a fueled ride.

You are already at a healthy weight for a guy 6'2". I'd go to maintenance and lift along with whatever other cardio you are doing. Being in a deficit is going to work against you from a muscle building point of view. At mainteance you will really be able to take advantage of newbie gains for a couple of months as a returning lifter. And you should still reduce body fat along the way.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

If you just started lifting again, yes you will see some noob gains especially under a program with adequate volume.

What is your waist measurement?

I would aim to eat a higher quality protein targeting 1g/bw or a tad more if that fits into your cal goal.

At 50 years of age, established evidence shows we don't process protein efficiently for MPS as in our younger years and in turn we need a bit more to optimize our goal.

Btw I'm 50/6'3"/245. Things can happen with patience and some knowledge.

Good luck with your training and congrats on getting your body weight more under control!
  • dhfitness1969
    Chieflrg wrote: »

If you just started lifting again, yes you will see some noob gains especially under a program with adequate volume.

I would aim to eat a higher quality protein targeting 1g/bw or a tad more if that fits into your cal goal.

At 50 years of age, established evidence shows we don't process protein efficiently for MPS as in our younger years and in turn we need a bit more to optimize our goal.

Good luck with your training and congrats on getting your body weight more under control!
    Thank you! My waist measures 36.5 on the tape. I can get 185 g of protein but is hard without suplimenting shakes. I have changed my routine to a push pull with two leg days. Eventually I will get into full body workouts. I was doing an “old school” bro split but seams like it’s not for the “beginner” lifter. Bro spilts sure worked great teens and twenties :)

• mmapags

Thank you! My waist measures 36.5 on the tape. I can get 185 g of protein but is hard without suplimenting shakes. I have changed my routine to a push pull with two leg days. Eventually I will get into full body workouts. I was doing an “old school” bro split but seams like it’s not for the “beginner” lifter. Bro spilts sure worked great teens and twenties :)

Lol! When you are in your teens and 20s with raging hormones including testosterone, just look at weights can make you get bigger muscles! (not really but it sure seems like it).

A couple of ideas for getting in more protein easier: I mix chocolate whey with greek yogurt and maybe a half banana and some seeds and nuts for a reasonable lower calorie high protein lunch. I can get in about 40 to 50 grams that way. I also make protein pancakes. You can buy a mix like flapjacked but It's pretty easy to mix 30 grams of unflavored whey, 1/4 cup of flour, teaspoon of safflower oil and teaspoon of baking powder with an egg and 1/4 cup of greek yogurt (I use a little milk if it's too thick). Gets me about 40 grams of protein.

Best wishes. You are going about this with a great attitude!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

At 36.5" I would like to see you drop more body fat.

If you have any of the following I would prefer a caloric deficit if you can adhere within your goals so we can get you further away of the health risks you are on the cusp of.

1. If your BMI>35
    2. Waist>37"
    3. Have obesity related disease such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia, etc...
    4. Body fat>22%

If these don't pertain to you, you could choose to go the recomp avenue and that would be reasonable as long as your waist measurement lowers on average over time.

Either way, if you have history of a sensitive response to a bro split it would be reasonable to do so if adhearance is greater than other programming. Otherwise a hypertrophy program that has more frequency would be preferred to help retain muscle.