Gastric Sleeve - Your thoughts and opinions or your very own experience?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Hello Everyone!

I've been reading a lot on gastric sleeve surgery. I know there's so much that goes into daily life post surgery as well as some who have gained the weight back unfortunately.

A little about myself. I am 5'2" and cw is 219. I've been overweight my entire adult life. Growing up I was always very slender. I met my husband and weighed 115lbs. After our first child I stayed around 155 but after our last child I've never gone below 165. Its been a yo-yo roller-coaster for the last 19 years.

I started a new job 9/2018 and had weighed 179 when I started here. In a little over a year I went from 179 to 225. I wont lie, its been depressing.

The well known place I work has many, many large people. Recently several associates have opted for sleeve surgery. I look at them and their results are just amazing.

I can't help feel this is something I should pursue. I'm curious about your own personal experience or perhaps someone you know?

I'm going to requote the OP as some seem to be confused by the numbers. Her goal weight is likely less than her "new job weight" of 179 pounds. At 5'2" and 225 pounds, losing 100 pounds would get her to a 22.9 BMI.

However, there are lots of people here who have lost 100 plus pounds without surgery.

I'm all for WLS surgery when it is needed to save lives, like for the people on "My 600 Pound Life." I don't know where I draw the line, though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    reddwarf63 wrote: »
    Having a gastric sleeve done is just a lazy way of saying that you cant do it by proper exercise and portion control. Losing weight is easy, just comes down to free will

I'm sorry I have to disagree. Not one ounce of me believes WLS is they easy/lazy way out. There are so many things you have to stay consistent on post op.

I wanted a safe place to ask this question without harsh judgement and I thank you all for being open and non-judgmental.

I was previous taking phentermine and was successful at losing 30lbs but I started to have tons of hair fall out and still today my hair is not long and thick. Its been the same length and is very very thin. I feel if I already had that issue with just taking the phentermine it may be worse after WLS.

My problem isn't emotional eating its that I'm hungry allllll the time even right after eating a meal packed with protein.

I'll definitely research further and again, I truly appreciate all of your comments.

Have you been tested for iron deficiencies and other conditions that cause hair loss? I'm anemic and have crazy hair loss (and crippling fatigue, split ends, brittle nails) when it's not treated well.

I can't manage my anemia with diet alone.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hi! I had a gastric sleeve in Tijuana Mexico! WWW.Weightlossagents.com it's only $3,500 and they have payment plans. Best decision of my life. Diabetes, goodbye is what the doctor told us, no more threats of it and no more chub rub lol!

Explaining the disagree I clicked.

It is solely related to the marketing claims made by the doctor as detailed in the last sentence.

So scary!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    jeslz wrote: »
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

As someone who has had WLS, you don't know until you know.

Exactly. It was like one day I just knew it was time to do something, and WLS was what I needed. I was struggling to tie my shoelaces, I was struggling to do life. And my mother had just started her second bout of chemo (for her second cancer diagnosis) and I know I’m at risk due to heriditary reasons, I don’t want to be at risk due to being fat too.

I was 175cm and 145kg (5’9 and over 300 pounds). I’m now down 25kg (over 50 pounds) and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. Previously I’d only been able to lose 15kg, and I gave up and gained 40kg back. I know I’ll have more success this time, I physically cannot eat as much as I used to. And if I need to, I can have my band adjusted and tightened.

are you scared of falling back into old habits tho?

What did you do to counter that besides the surgery....

And to adjust the band would require more surgery????

I lost over 60lbs in a year just using a calorie deficit but I also addressed the issues at hand...

WLS is no guarantee....
  • Anecdotes are not data. However... When I met my boyfriend he was 5'9 and 375. He has mental health issues and part of the weight went on due to the medication he was on, and part because he is an emotional eater. He had WLS in 2015, about six months after we met, and it was a good decision for him. He dropped to 180, and maintained there for a while. He had a mental health crisis this year, however, and is up to about 240 again. So when that settles down he'll have to lose that weight again.

Fair warning; after WLS he tried one beer and became so dependent on alcohol he had to detox under medical supervision. He is now an alcoholic. This was not an issue beforehand; he could take it or leave it.

My sister had WLS. It seems to have activated all the family autoimmune disorders, and she now has IBS and rheumatoid arthritis. So I would try everything else if you have that sort of thing in the extended family.

I don't intend to have surgery for that. I have a couple more foot surgeries in my future and an abdominoplasty with diastasis repair as well, so that's enough for me. I am going to drop my 150 with diet and exercise, but mostly diet.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I haven't been on here in a few days. Been overwhelmed with work, planning my very first vacation and depressed about my weight. I guess I've been throwing a pity party.

I didn't want to login today but I did and I logged my breakfast and lunch. Then I peeked in on this thread and found so many incredible responses. Wow!! My heart is seriously tugged.

My husband is totally against WLS and says I can do this through exercise and diet. A very large part of me wanted to prove him wrong. Maybe because I don't feel he truly understands my struggle.

In total I have just about 100lbs to lose. I'm not an emotional eater, I just seem to graze alll day long. I hate the feeling of hunger but the more and more research I do, I think this stems from childhood.

Someone asked if I was anemic. I just did my blood work and found that my iron was quite low. My doctor hasn't mentioned supplements. But I've just started taking multi-vitamins, omega and B-12. Perhaps that's why I feel so sluggish?

I've never been the type of person to ask for help or want to bother anyone. I can't tell you enough how each and every one of your comments has helped me. Whether for or against WLS I'm taking each into account.

Also, what are you "grazing" on every day? If it is chips, cookies, candy, high energy dense foods ect.... I might make a suggestion. Maybe switch what you are grazing on to less energy dense foods... IE Plain fruits, veggies, and maybe some lean protein. I have been studying many different dietary styles over the last 2 years and made a mental note note that many suggest just making "one" change. Might I suggest this be your "change". See what happens. What do you have to lose? I mean you are talking about having your digestive system rearranged... :)
  • No_turning_back
    No_turning_back Posts: 25 Member
    A little hunger isn't terrible, but I'm talking about a relentless starving feeling. My snacks have been almonds, peanuts, oranges, strawberries, grapes and recently drinking Sparkling Ice + caffeine, green teas, carbonated water. But even with these I'm left feeling unsatisfied and want sugar. I want chips, I want cookies. Since coming back to MFP I've done pretty good at limiting those "foods." Valentines was hard, shopping for food with cookies and snacks around every corner. I did have a recess pink heart but limited it at one. That was tough.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    A little hunger isn't terrible, but I'm talking about a relentless starving feeling. My snacks have been almonds, peanuts, oranges, strawberries, grapes and recently drinking Sparkling Ice + caffeine, green teas, carbonated water. But even with these I'm left feeling unsatisfied and want sugar. I want chips, I want cookies. Since coming back to MFP I've done pretty good at limiting those "foods." Valentines was hard, shopping for food with cookies and snacks around every corner. I did have a recess pink heart but limited it at one. That was tough.

How is your protein intake? 1.6grams/ kg of healthy BW might be a good goal. Maybe lower the peanuts and almonds and add some lean protein. IE Low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, lean meats...ect. Oh course you "want" chips, cookies, ect...... Most of us do Though the research suggest that we can reprogram these old cravings over time. I would suggest what Dr. J.O. Hill suggest about shopping. Stay away from your problem isles. Keep a good food environment. Since you are a "grazer" maybe keep foods out on the counters that you won't be over tempted to eat unless you are hungry. Even better not to keep these "problem" foods in the house. Simply having a WLS will not stop the cravings. If you create effort barriers between problem foods, it can make it easier. If you have to get up, dressed, drive to the stop and get a single serving bag of chips, you might decide its not worth it.
  • No_turning_back
    No_turning_back Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2020

Its been 2 months since I've allowed any junk in the house. The biggest problem area is work. Weekly potlucks, break room filled with many, many unhealthy choices and our site passes out donuts/pizza etc. several times a month. Most people I work with have gained 20+lbs in the first couple months they work here.

I think you hit it on the nose with the protein. When I look at my pie chart on MFP it's mostly Carb and fat. =(