What is the most disturbing thing that society accepts as a normal behaviour?

Replies

• TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    And one more thing...

Why are half the kids in the world all of a sudden named Caiden or Aiden? ...

Brayden & Jayden too. I wrote a whole long post about this after my kids’ assembly last year but didn’t publish because I didn’t want to hurt feelings

My kids’ names have no vowels.

Same. If you pronounce them out loud you might summon an evil spirit

While driving Starbucks baristas completely insane.

Caramel macchiato for mxrthrfsk
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    bojack5 wrote: »
    The "sport" of boxing. Anybody else look at two people in a ring throwing punches at each other to be something that should've been left in the Dark Ages? Especially given all the research showing cumulative brain damage? I don't get it and I grew up in the age of the much-celebrated fights of Ali, Liston, Frazier, Foreman, etc.

I strongly but respectfully disagree

I was going to say the same thing but I was completely aghast and unable to compute their claim...
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    @Mr_Healthy_Habits

you saw the j/k right? if not - put your glasses on. :D

and another thing!! :p<3

I did after my initial aghast 😱...

But I'm still kinda in shock 😂
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    And one more thing...

Why are half the kids in the world all of a sudden named Caiden or Aiden? ...

Brayden & Jayden too. I wrote a whole long post about this after my kids’ assembly last year but didn’t publish because I didn’t want to hurt feelings

Sooo true. One of my close friends had a son named Aidan born in the late 90s and she thought she was being super-original choosing an old family name, Their family doctor was like "Adrienne? What!?".

Then she was constantly griping about this when he got into elementary school and every third kid was Jayden, Caden, Braydon, Hayden, Laydan, etc.

Let's hope we've done enough name shaming here to day to buck the trend...
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    The "sport" of boxing. Anybody else look at two people in a ring throwing punches at each other to be something that should've been left in the Dark Ages? Especially given all the research showing cumulative brain damage? I don't get it and I grew up in the age of the much-celebrated fights of Ali, Liston, Frazier, Foreman, etc.

do you feel this way about MMA as well? or just boxing in particular?
  • ksharrell48
    ksharrell48 Posts: 170 Member
    do you feel this way about MMA as well? or just boxing in particular?[/quote]

@mi_nina_lola: I feel this way about any cage fighting where the object is to physically beat another person to "win." To me there are just other ways to showcase agility, speed, focus, strength, perseverance and other specialized skills than pummeling someone else.
  • mi_nina_lola

@mi_nina_lola: I feel this way about any cage fighting where the object is to physically beat another person to "win." To me there are just other ways to showcase agility, speed, focus, strength, perseverance and other specialized skills than pummeling someone else.
    [/quote]

we're all entitled to our opinions. i personally enjoy watching it. would i myself do it? no. but i admire the skill set and intestinal fortitude it takes to fight.
  • mi_nina_lola

Well as someone who has particpated in the sport of boxing since the age of 12, i see it in a far different light. I see it as maybe the most mentally challenging sport there is. Character building and one of the most honest ways to look inside yourself. When you step between those ropes to compete against someone, its a lesson in controlling fear that can be used in far more places than just the ring. You cannot cheat and fake your way through it, you cant depend on another to make up for your deficiencies, you cannot cheat yourself in training and expect anything more than you deserve. A lot of what life will dish out to you is similar to what you will experience as a fighter. Life is tough and can be brutal, and yes so can boxing, but you learn to overcome.....to work hard.....to not quit.....to compete despite being afraid.....it can humble you, as well as build confidence......its an instance in life where win lose or draw you are responsible and reap or pay based on what you put in.

To the outsider yes it looks like two people just trying to club each other sensless, and that can happen of course. But in reality the first lesson in being a fighter is to learn how to not get hit, anybody can punch someone, it takes a tremendous amount of skill to stand within 2 feet of someone and not get hit.

As far as injuries go, its a contact sport so yes there are injuries. But believe it or not football, hockey, and even basketball and soccer have far more injuries and that includes concussions. Its far safer to to take a blow from a hand then a body at full speed. Its also safer to be able to stand in front of your opponent and have every chance to defend yourself instead of getting blindsided. I run a youth boxing program sanctioned by USA boxing and is one of the safest, albeit the toughest youth sports in the country.

Just my slightly more than 2 cents ;) [/quote]

your two cents worth was thoughtfully and eloquently stated. :)i just stated it in a sentence. i stand by my love of boxing and MMA.
  • ksharrell48
    ksharrell48 Posts: 170 Member
    I appreciate your passionate "slightly more than 2 cents" @bojack5 and your perspective @mi_nina_lola. Thank you both.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits

Well as someone who has particpated in the sport of boxing since the age of 12, i see it in a far different light. I see it as maybe the most mentally challenging sport there is. Character building and one of the most honest ways to look inside yourself. When you step between those ropes to compete against someone, its a lesson in controlling fear that can be used in far more places than just the ring. You cannot cheat and fake your way through it, you cant depend on another to make up for your deficiencies, you cannot cheat yourself in training and expect anything more than you deserve. A lot of what life will dish out to you is similar to what you will experience as a fighter. Life is tough and can be brutal, and yes so can boxing, but you learn to overcome.....to work hard.....to not quit.....to compete despite being afraid.....it can humble you, as well as build confidence......its an instance in life where win lose or draw you are responsible and reap or pay based on what you put in.

To the outsider yes it looks like two people just trying to club each other sensless, and that can happen of course. But in reality the first lesson in being a fighter is to learn how to not get hit, anybody can punch someone, it takes a tremendous amount of skill to stand within 2 feet of someone and not get hit.

As far as injuries go, its a contact sport so yes there are injuries. But believe it or not football, hockey, and even basketball and soccer have far more injuries and that includes concussions. Its far safer to to take a blow from a hand then a body at full speed. Its also safer to be able to stand in front of your opponent and have every chance to defend yourself instead of getting blindsided. I run a youth boxing program sanctioned by USA boxing and is one of the safest, albeit the toughest youth sports in the country.

Just my slightly more than 2 cents ;) [/quote]

Completely agree...

Boxing is to sports, as ballet as to dance...

It's just a thing of grace and beauty... The technique, strategy, not to mention athleticism involved is just second to none... It's the ultimate sport...

I've always said that if you watch boxing and just see 2 people slugging it out... You just simply do not know what you're looking at...

And it's really one of the only sports that very well could save your life someday...
  • mi_nina_lola

Just my slightly more than 2 cents ;)

Completely agree...

It's just a thing of grace and beauty... The technique, strategy, not to mention athleticism involved is just second to none... It's the ultimate sport...

I've always said that if you watch boxing and just see 2 people slugging it out... You just simply do not know what you're looking at...

And it's really one of the only sports that very well could save your life someday... [/quote]

well said J! i knew i liked you for a reason! :)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited February 2020

Just my slightly more than 2 cents ;)

Well articulated. 🤝

Completely agree...

And it's really one of the only sports that very well could save your life someday...

Boldened. 👊

ETA: fix quote
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    I think boxing is ok as long as the gloves are sufficiently padded and all the brain damage disclaimers are signed and notarized.

The padded gloves are more for the hands than anything else.
  • TooDamnSweet
    TooDamnSweet Posts: 63 Member
    People who eat their french fries with a fork.

Except for Poutine! 😊
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Analog_Kid wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    People creating their own set of "facts"...not everything is opinion and just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not factually true or factually false.

One of the reasons I love math is that it is absolute and there is no opinion...there is only one correct answer and you can't have an opinion on that.

Have you been to a public school lately? Children today are taught there are no absolutes. Everything is relative. The only correct answer is the one that doesn't offend them.

My kids are in public school, and nothing could be further from the truth. I'm talking about grown men and women who are more concerned with thinking they're right than actually knowing a truth.
  • cwolfman13
    iMago wrote: »
    Automatic transmissions, they are the work of Satan.

kinda agree- i think they def make people more complacent when driving and gives em too much time to start texting and stuff

i been driving stick for a while now and its not bad unless i head into a big city with a lot of stop and go traffic and then its annoying

but also on the plus side- it didn't cost all that much to replace my clutch or master/slave cylinders this past year either. and also its a lot less likely my truck would ever get stolen because so many people just don't know how to drive them anymore.

I miss my manual, but I had to go automatic when I started commuting. My city isn't even all that big, but it's bumper to bumper stop and go for an hour each way and I couldn't take it anymore. Pretty sure that's where the tendinitis in my foot came from.
  • cwolfman13
    Parents avoiding any conversation about puberty, menstruation, bodily changes, sex, etc, with their children until years too late.

I know this still happens, and that's what I'm referring to.

But I hope it happens less than in my day (Gen X). Seriously had to explain all this stuff to 80% of my female friends when we were in middle school, and let my mom fill in the gaps because all of their moms were horrified to even mention childbirth or using pads. Ridiculous.

Also Gen X...my dad gave me a book and then I had to write a report about the subject matter to show my understanding...that was my talk.