Overwhelming amount of weight to lose - need support

Options
Hello all! I have about 150 pounds to lose and I need to get all the support I can. So message me, let’s keep each other motivated, and let’s get healthy!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    This group might be a good place to check out as well:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

:drinker:
  • One_Eye_Blind
    One_Eye_Blind Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Maybe try to redefine your mission. Try to think in terms of trying to learn calorie counting and the weight loss process. I’ve lost 110 lbs. But I had to reinvent my plan about 4 times to do it. As you say in the title to your post thinking about losing a lot is overwhelming.

Try to make your program into a set of things to do. Small steps. Start a food diary, always record everything and never stop. Use a food scale to crunch the numbers. Calculate a modest calorie deficit and start planning menus to hit your number.

Don’t concern yourself with how long it may take to get to goal weight. Do concern yourself with how you are living. Be careful of what lines you draw for yourself because you have to live with them. The best plan is one that we will actually follow. Good luck.

Excellent advice!!! I’ve lost 120 lbs and have another 45 or so to go. 88olds advice is what I would have said too. My goal was to lose 1 lb a week. In the beginning, I lost more. I also hit a 6 month plateau (which food tracking helped me overcome!) the second half of last year. As it stands, even with the plateau, I’ve still lost slightly over a pound a week. I started my journey by just trying to get in 7 servings of fruit and veggies a day (no more than 3 of those fruits) and built on that. Didn’t sweat the details too much until I started to see a slowdown.

The very best of luck! We can do this and in fact ARE doing it. One pound at a time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380, you knocked it out of the park! Awesome post!
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a pat on the back for wanting to change! Small victories help us move forward. One meal at a time is how some days are for me. Reading others' posts has been a tremendous motivator for me, so inspiring. Stay strong!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,062 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic discussion. If you want to try a team approach, with tons of support and great people connections, the Fat2Fit group is taking new registrations. The founder of the group lost over 160 pounds. Others have lost over 100, still others have less to lose but have to work hard to get there. We use body weight % for weigh-in results, and there is support even for the smallest losses and those times when things just don't go well. There is a lot of information, and the teams are small enough you get to know everyone. Give it a try!

FAT 2 FIT APRIL REGISTRATIONS ARE OPEN!!!!

Looking for a support group?
    Looking to get as much as you give?

Fat 2 Fit is inviting you to join! We have been around for over 4 years now - going strong.

We are a weight loss challenge and support group. We have teams for accountability and challenges for motivation.

Come join the best bunch of losers on MFP :)

Click here to see what we are all about:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

Want to join us? Click here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10789583/april-registration#latest
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    nmflannery87 -- I'm in the same boat. Had been doing really well then depression and self-sabotage set in and I'm back over 300 lbs. Had full physical in February and I'm healthy in all respects ... except for being obese ... and I'm really tired of being obese (most of my life). So, I'm back and trying again. Saw a lot of good advice in posts above. Right now my goal is to log every bite of food and drink that I consume and to be mindful of my choices.
    I've found a couple of good threads that I think will help my motivation and want to keep up with them daily. So, baby steps for now.
  • cesse47
    Options
    So, today's day 3. So far I'm hanging on. Drank my first 2 cups of water today. 2 cups in 3 days ... not good ... really need to up my game there. Forgot how difficult it was to drink so much water every day but I did it then and I'll get back to it here and now!! Still way too many trigger foods in the house so I've tried to be really careful to eat them in very small quantities and to log them. When they are gone, I won't replace them but will buy a "healthier" item instead. Grocery shopping with the pandemic panic buying going on is difficult but doable.
    Plan to do my first 5 min walk at noon and another around 4 before my DGD gets home. It's pathetic how badly worn out that 5 minutes makes me, panting like crazy and shaky legged. Figure I'll stick with the 5 min walks at least twice a day for the first week then try to increase by 2-3 minutes. Pitiful!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    @cesse47 My first “workout” was 8 minutes on the stationary bike that I pulled out of the corner of the basement. 8 minutes was the most I could do. I could have walked maybe 2 blocks before the back pain would force me to quit. I weighed 285 lbs.

Sunday I weighed 172 lbs. I’ve been maintaining for years. Before we started isolating I was a regular at the gym. You can do this.

Exercise is overrated as a weight loss strategy. But it’s terrific for other reasons. Exercise is really good for our brains. It also builds confidence. And exercise is a great teacher of incrementalism. The lessons of incrementalism are the foundation of weight loss.

Keep going. Slowly build on what you have. It doesn’t matter where you start. The only thing that matters is where you end up.
  • cesse47
    Options
    @88olds Thanks. Congrats on your 100+ loss! An even greater accomplishment is keeping it off for years. WTG!

Right now my main focus is on what I eat, how much, what I drink, etc and logging everything. My secondary focus is on exercise. As you say, not so much for weight loss - tho that's a side benefit - but primarily to get into a better physical shape. If I can increase my walking ability it will mean increases in leg and arm strength, core, and lungs. I'm hoping once I get there, I can add in a bit of weights to increase muscles. At my age I'm not expecting miracles or hoping to become a senior Olympian. LOL Just want to be stronger and healthier.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Hope you have a great day. :)