Mild NSFW: Conflicted about prominent ribcage

Options
jesspyre
jesspyre Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I thought that by getting more fit, my torso would become more flat. I commonly get comments about me “sucking in to look thinner” but I am not, my ribs just stick out on their own. After some research, I have found out that I have Pectus Excavatum result in flares ribs. I have ordered a brace to correct this and all of the weightlifting/belly dance/ aerial I am doing serves as the physical therapy needed to address PE. I used to think it was sort of sexy or feminine, but in researching PE, it has come to light that it is considered unattractive. It results in a sort of “pot belly” appearance up high when standing, and the ribs are extremely visible while lying down. I haven’t made up my mind to “fix” or keep my ribs. I already know I am prone to body dismorphia, which is why I turn to you, lovely community, for some realistic vision. Please please please give me your honest answers about these ribs of mine. I want the truth of a third party. I have a solutions to suit me no matter what the general consensus is.
I am hoping to get answers from men and women alike.
My question is this:
Do you find the extra curve sexy or deforming?

b4w7hjr8ikzp.jpeg
qhu55sflt4ig.jpeg
549vyy5a7e58.jpeg

[post edited by MFP mods]

Replies

• noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think you look fantastic! All that truly matters is what YOU think and feel about how you look. If someone says anything negative, what I usually do is smile and politely thank them for their opinion. In the end, it is just that, their opinion.
    Hang in there, and keep doing what makes you happy! 😎
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You look normal to me. I don't see what you are describing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm really not seeing anything out of the ordinary here.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    You look great to me!

Also, I thought PE was a caved-in upper chest. My friend had that when we kids. I do not see that with you.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    It looks a lot like ribs on other women to me.
    And why go with the consensus of people on the Internet? What do YOU want? Do that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Looks normal to me. I also have very prominent ribs, sometimes people think I am too lean because of it but that's just the way my body is. It never really bothered me otherwise!

Were you diagnosed with this condition and do they deem it serious enough for intervention?
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Looks good/normal to me!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Looks normal to me. I also have very prominent ribs, sometimes people think I am too lean because of it but that's just the way my body is. It never really bothered me otherwise!

Were you diagnosed with this condition and do they deem it serious enough for intervention?

Or was it Dr. Google?

Because my lower ribs are pretty prominent, too. Never occurred to me that it was even weird.

:lol: Now you won't be able to NOT see it...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    All, keep in mind OP says she has body dysmorphia.

OP, I'm not a doctor but you don't look to me like you have PE. You look like a healthy, attractive young woman.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I had to go Google it. Nope, I think one would know for certain if they had this, and probably would be diagnosed at birth.

cb4nih1fij0m.jpg

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Given this is her first post, that seems like a strong, if not hasty, diagnosis.

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, I don't see what you see, you look very normal.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

Given this is her first post, that seems like a strong, if not hasty, diagnosis.

OP herself admits to being prone to dysmorphia, and has self-diagnosed the condition shown here:
    I had to go Google it. Nope, I think one would know for certain if they had this, and probably would be diagnosed at birth.

cb4nih1fij0m.jpg

And you think we're hasty to suggest that the dysmorphia is the issue?

My mistake... I missed the self-admitted diagnosis in OP's post. Guess I should read more closely...