Sub 10% Body Fat

Replies

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    No problem :D - good job on your transformation too! How long did this actually take you?[/quote]

The short answer is 4 years. Looking back the first 2 were all excersise focussed. The last two were balanced, healthy eating and exercise. It was the last two where the biggest gains happened.

Year 1 lost 5 lbs
    Year 2 lost 5 more
    Year 3 lost 15 lbs
    (fat loss started the day after I went caloric deficit)
    Year 4 lost 5 more

started at 205 lbs with high cholesterol.
    4 years and 2 months later I'm at 173 lbs, no more cholesterol and a bf of 11%.

25 years ago when I got married I was 155 lbs @ 6% bf. There is no way I will ever be that again. If I can hit 168 lbs at just under 10% I would declare the journey complete and pick a new objective. Example add an inch to my shoulders.
  • CoreyLust
    CoreyLust Posts: 42 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    No problem :D - good job on your transformation too! How long did this actually take you?

The short answer is 4 years. Looking back the first 2 were all excersise focussed. The last two were balanced, healthy eating and exercise. It was the last two where the biggest gains happened.

Year 1 lost 5 lbs
    Year 2 lost 5 more
    Year 3 lost 15 lbs
    (fat loss started the day after I went caloric deficit)
    Year 4 lost 5 more

started at 205 lbs with high cholesterol.
    4 years and 2 months later I'm at 173 lbs, no more cholesterol and a bf of 11%.

25 years ago when I got married I was 155 lbs @ 6% bf. There is no way I will ever be that again. If I can hit 168 lbs at just under 10% I would declare the journey complete and pick a new objective. Example add an inch to my shoulders.
    [/quote]

Well done man!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Stood on an Tanita body fat scale today. 11%. I will take that as confirmation my caliper measurement is not bad. Last Caliper 11.46%
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, from my experience and from what I've read, I believe that sub-10% BF for men is sub-optimal for one's health.

Nah, it's sub 5% to 6% that is dangerous for men. I was at 6% all through high school and college. 6'-0" 138lbs.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    You're both right. I'm 48 years old and apparently below 10% at my age is not considered healthy.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, from my experience and from what I've read, I believe that sub-10% BF for men is sub-optimal for one's health.

Nah, it's sub 5% to 6% that is dangerous for men. I was at 6% all through high school and college. 6'-0" 138lbs.

For a lot of men staying under a genuine 10%bf for prolonged periods can reduce
    Test levels, libido, thyroid etc

If your genetically very lean then that’s different,
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    edited March 2020
    I'm getting there. 10.5% today.

Just being consistent and patient. Eating 1600 - 1800 calories and calisthenics daily (Pushups and Squats). Strength training 3 times per week and cardio 4 times. Cardio is not crazy. 15 to 40 minutes depending on the type. This weekend is swimming and rowing.

wnd3fj12vo42.jpg

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    edited March 2020
    zmznirfjq16e.jpg

UPDATE OK so I'm at the same weight 173 but have gained a bit of size on the quads and biceps. Not noticeable by the naked eye. Sitting at 10.4 % but perhaps a slight improvement in definition.

I'm still enjoying one cheat meal a week and hovering at 1500 - 1800 calories daily. With limited access to cardio (its still winter where I live) I may have to tighten down the cheat day to hit my goal.
  • TinaZ2018
    TinaZ2018 Posts: 314 Member

UPDATE OK so I'm at the same weight 173 but have gained a bit of size on the quads and biceps. Not noticeable by the naked eye. Sitting at 10.4 % but perhaps a slight improvement in definition.

I'm still enjoying one cheat meal a week and hovering at 1500 - 1800 calories daily. With limited access to cardio (its still winter where I live) I may have to tighten down the cheat day to hit my goal.

Oh how beautifully those jeans 'hang' on your hips putting those abs in the spotlight. Amazing progress! You are an inspiration!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Update, today is the second Friday that I've been sub 10%. This morning measured 9.14% @ 170 lbs. Target weight was 168 lbs. I'm going for it!

Measurement wise I've lost 1/2" off my waist. Shoulders are up 1/2", chest is same, biceps and quads are maintained.

Focusing on quads and shoulders while looking for waist to continue to shrink bit more.

Focussed lifting on alternating days with foundation calisthenics daily and cardio on the days without lifting. Recovery over the weekend. Eating is the same calorie deficient with a bit of extra protein from Greek yogurt.

38qqc5p3u1o7.jpg
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Update, today is the second Friday that I've been sub 10%. This morning measured 9.14% @ 170 lbs. Target weight was 168 lbs. I'm going for it!

Measurement wise I've lost 1/2" off my waist. Shoulders are up 1/2", chest is same, biceps and quads are maintained.

Focusing on quads and shoulders while looking for waist to continue to shrink bit more.

Focussed lifting on alternating days with foundation calisthenics daily and cardio on the days without lifting. Recovery over the weekend. Eating is the same calorie deficient with a bit of extra protein from Greek yogurt.

38qqc5p3u1o7.jpg

Looking good mate but nowhere near sub 10%, quads should be pretty much separated, I’d estimate 12-14%

Yep, could be. That's ok. 3 site caliper measurements are not perfect. I'm ok with that. What I do know it that when I started uaing the same sites the same way it read 26% and now. it reads 9.14. I used a fancy fitness scale once and correlated my reading but also know that even the most expensive scales are not 100%. So if I'm actual 12%. That's ok I'm at my relative goal at 48 years old. So in a week or so I will be. on maintenance on bf and working of building a few ratios.
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Congrats on achieving your goal!

To the question you asked a while back on what bf% measurement method folks use, I’ve done the Bod Pod a few times, but the results don’t always seem accurate. One time was especially bad. It said I was at under 15% but anyone looking at me would guess I was a little over 20%. The folks administering it said they didn’t think it was accurate either, but they still charged me $120
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    edited April 2020
    yt7m0ngny9w7.jpg

3wks at less than 10% using my caliper method. I'm satisfied and pleased with the result.

Moving on to a new goal now.

Good luck with your journeys.

FR me if you want to know more about my journey.

Or ask to join the Midlife Crisis Fitness Group to work with other guys shooting to shred the Dad bod.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Update today
    Calipers are saying 8%. Actual must be below 10 now. Plenty of definition. Even legs now.

nj6i69m1lrj1.jpg