Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• StarliteTara
    StarliteTara Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    I’m so happy I found this topic! I haven’t had time to read everything yet but I’m sure the answer to my question is probably somewhere in here. I’m going to ask anyway..
    I just recently lost 30 lbs and I’m pretty happy with where I’m at as far as weight goes but I need to build muscle and tone up.
    I joined the gym a month ago and I’ve been doing 30 minutes on the treadmill and about an hour lifting. I am a beginner. I sit in an office all day and stare at a computer screen. I’m weak and out of shape.
    I paid for a few sessions with a trainer so that I could learn how to use the machines properly and try to nail down the correct form but here’s my question..
    Can you recommend an app or program of some sort that I can use that can guide me in what to actually do?
    Basically I feel lost when I go..I bounce from machine to machine working the same muscle groups each time which I know is wrong but I don’t really know where to begin.

My goal is to go at least 3 days a week..maybe 4.
    All I’ve been told so far is work a large muscle group with a small and that I could do cardio and abs everytime. I’m going on M, W and F.
    I’m still learning what machine works which muscle so although that sentence makes sense I still don’t really know what to do.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 😁

Working the same muscle groups is not wrong, and progressively adding weight is the method by which you get stronger, and maybe convince the body you need more muscle.

If you want to start with machines, indeed bouncing from one to another not best, usually they aren't laid out best.
    Start with ones that work the biggest muscles first, legs, back, chest, shoulders.
    And then arrange them in an order that swaps between upper & lower body muscles - so you have time for one set to recover before being pulled into another effort.
    And the smallest movers that are used with bigger muscles, like biceps and triceps, come last if at all.
    As far as that order - some of the listed workout plans will show that switch between upper/lower correctly, and can be applied to the machines.

Trying to think back, I think I had - leg press (glute/quad), upper row, leg curl, chest press, some other leg, press up, calf press, pull down.
    3 sets x 12-15 reps, about 2 min rest between. Just share the machine if sticking around for 3 sets.

Thank you for your response. I went tonight and tried to do a little more of a plan but I still think I need to have some kind of a system I can follow on my phone or paper until I kind of get the hang of it.
    I am working hard and it’s bound to be better than nothing so surely that’s a plus. :)

It's hard to recommend without knowing a bit more specifics into your goal. As you looking to just lower body fat (toning up) or improving a particular thing. For example, I have a few focused goals; 1. to get my bench to 275, 2. abs and 3. to increase my arm size... often girls want to grow Glutes. So for that, I am working on a small surplus, I bench (3x a week) with direct isolation work for my bi's and tri's. Do you want to stick with dumbbells, barbells, etc..? Where do you think you would be comfortable?

You can certainly start with a program like: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

and then transition to a barbell routine. Alternatively, a lot of women tend to focus on programs like: StrongCurves, Thinner Leaner Stronger, NROL4W or even a few have tried Stephanie Buttermores beginner programs. The nice thing about these is they are all books and lay out things nicely.

Is it bad that I feel like I have so many areas to focus on that I don’t really know where to begin?
    I guess when I say tone up I’m referring to my stomach mostly. I’ve lost the weight but it’s just loose skin and fat.
    The other is my triceps. Those things that flap when I wave right?
    That would be the second area.
    Basically look at me as the girl that struggles to lift the case of waters at the grocery store. Building just basic muscle would be great.

And honestly I don’t care when it comes to the equipment. I started out doing just the resistance machines at the gym and then I moved to free weights and some dumbbells and barbells. The free weights are probably my least favorite just because I am so weak right now so I don’t quite feel comfortable with it.

Does that make sense?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I’m so happy I found this topic! I haven’t had time to read everything yet but I’m sure the answer to my question is probably somewhere in here. I’m going to ask anyway..
    I just recently lost 30 lbs and I’m pretty happy with where I’m at as far as weight goes but I need to build muscle and tone up.
    I joined the gym a month ago and I’ve been doing 30 minutes on the treadmill and about an hour lifting. I am a beginner. I sit in an office all day and stare at a computer screen. I’m weak and out of shape.
    I paid for a few sessions with a trainer so that I could learn how to use the machines properly and try to nail down the correct form but here’s my question..
    Can you recommend an app or program of some sort that I can use that can guide me in what to actually do?
    Basically I feel lost when I go..I bounce from machine to machine working the same muscle groups each time which I know is wrong but I don’t really know where to begin.

My goal is to go at least 3 days a week..maybe 4.
    All I’ve been told so far is work a large muscle group with a small and that I could do cardio and abs everytime. I’m going on M, W and F.
    I’m still learning what machine works which muscle so although that sentence makes sense I still don’t really know what to do.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 😁

Working the same muscle groups is not wrong, and progressively adding weight is the method by which you get stronger, and maybe convince the body you need more muscle.

If you want to start with machines, indeed bouncing from one to another not best, usually they aren't laid out best.
    Start with ones that work the biggest muscles first, legs, back, chest, shoulders.
    And then arrange them in an order that swaps between upper & lower body muscles - so you have time for one set to recover before being pulled into another effort.
    And the smallest movers that are used with bigger muscles, like biceps and triceps, come last if at all.
    As far as that order - some of the listed workout plans will show that switch between upper/lower correctly, and can be applied to the machines.

Trying to think back, I think I had - leg press (glute/quad), upper row, leg curl, chest press, some other leg, press up, calf press, pull down.
    3 sets x 12-15 reps, about 2 min rest between. Just share the machine if sticking around for 3 sets.

Thank you for your response. I went tonight and tried to do a little more of a plan but I still think I need to have some kind of a system I can follow on my phone or paper until I kind of get the hang of it.
    I am working hard and it’s bound to be better than nothing so surely that’s a plus. :)

It's hard to recommend without knowing a bit more specifics into your goal. As you looking to just lower body fat (toning up) or improving a particular thing. For example, I have a few focused goals; 1. to get my bench to 275, 2. abs and 3. to increase my arm size... often girls want to grow Glutes. So for that, I am working on a small surplus, I bench (3x a week) with direct isolation work for my bi's and tri's. Do you want to stick with dumbbells, barbells, etc..? Where do you think you would be comfortable?

You can certainly start with a program like: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

and then transition to a barbell routine. Alternatively, a lot of women tend to focus on programs like: StrongCurves, Thinner Leaner Stronger, NROL4W or even a few have tried Stephanie Buttermores beginner programs. The nice thing about these is they are all books and lay out things nicely.

Is it bad that I feel like I have so many areas to focus on that I don’t really know where to begin?
    I guess when I say tone up I’m referring to my stomach mostly. I’ve lost the weight but it’s just loose skin and fat.
    The other is my triceps. Those things that flap when I wave right?
    That would be the second area.
    Basically look at me as the girl that struggles to lift the case of waters at the grocery store. Building just basic muscle would be great.

And honestly I don’t care when it comes to the equipment. I started out doing just the resistance machines at the gym and then I moved to free weights and some dumbbells and barbells. The free weights are probably my least favorite just because I am so weak right now so I don’t quite feel comfortable with it.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely it makes sense. You can always build a solid foundation and then move to something specific. I think Thinner Leaner Stronger would be a solid starting point. Its a scalable program, so you can do a 3,4 or 5 day program. And its a book, so it gives solid insight.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Maybe I am just stupid, but I find it so hard (impossible) to understand the instructions in some of these guides.

For example - Bill Starr's 5 x 5 says:

https://oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/

"Bench - 5 sets of 5 1x10 weight from 3rd set"

What does this even mean?! Should there be commas? What does weight from 3rd set mean?! I find myself getting so frustrated trying to read lifting plans and I give up and go back to 5x5 SL because at least I understand what I'm supposed to do.

Can anyone relate? Is there a super clear place to read about these plans where they spell it out very simply?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am just stupid, but I find it so hard (impossible) to understand the instructions in some of these guides.

What does this even mean?! Should there be commas? What does weight from 3rd set mean?! I find myself getting so frustrated trying to read lifting plans and I give up and go back to 5x5 SL because at least I understand what I'm supposed to do.

Can anyone relate? Is there a super clear place to read about these plans where they spell it out very simply?

That site looks like just a very quick summary comparing plans to an older one - I don't think it's meant to be a source for plan instructions.. The sources for the plans he lists briefly (including the book from the original he's writing about) would have much more detail.
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Add one set of 10 after at least 8 weeks on the program as a finisher for added volume with intensity set at 80% of the target weight.

After 8 -12 weeks most lifters are adapted and volume needs to increase.

That said, the most common way that Bill Starrs routine had been run ends at that 12~ ish mark and NO ONE does that 1 x 10. Anymore anyways
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I see Greg nuckols has a programme out for a minimum
    Price of 5 dollars. Pay as you can afford. Has anyone checked it out?

I rate this guy he’s clever and seems dead nice on his podcast and strong af. I’m not planning on switching programmes but I might just buy it and have a look.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I rate this guy he’s clever and seems dead nice on his podcast and strong af. I’m not planning on switching programmes but I might just buy it and have a look.

I haven't tried it, but he is a huge contributor and possible owner of MASS. I know he is super well respected
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I haven't tried it, but he is a huge contributor and possible owner of MASS. I know he is super well respected

Nuckols is the guy that owns and puts out the MASS newsletter, Monthly Applications in Strength Sport, as well as the associated website, https://strongerbyscience.com/ and a podcast by the same name. Very knowledgeable. He's primarily a power lifting guy but he has a also has an extremely knowledgeable guy working for him, Eric Trexler, who is a body builder, coach and strength science researcher.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I've been really enjoying the level 2 program listed in Arnold's body building bible (linked below) for the past 6 weeks (give or take with some work travel sprinkled in). I've usually kept to comparatively lower volume stuff in the past and rarely did programmed direct arm work so the aesthetic improvements have been really nice. Have been able to add some weight/reps while eating around maintenance so all-in-all I'm digging it.

Link to PDF of whole book. Programs start on page 161 of the PDF (page #148 in the book). The book is certainly dated with some of the stuff but the pictures and history portion was a fun read.
    https://griswoldfitness.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/arnold-bible.pdf
  • 0neyear
    0neyear Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it makes sense. You can always build a solid foundation and then move to something specific. I think Thinner Leaner Stronger would be a solid starting point. Its a scalable program, so you can do a 3,4 or 5 day program. And its a book, so it gives solid insight.

I am a beginner.. looking for a program. I am going to look into Thinner Leaner Stronger. Not sure what equipment is needed? But like the idea it’s in book form. Thanks @psuLemon.

Anyone do that program .. any thoughts?
    Options
    0neyear wrote: »

I am a beginner.. looking for a program. I am going to look into Thinner Leaner Stronger. Not sure what equipment is needed? But like the idea it’s in book form. Thanks @psuLemon.

I did tls - The 3 day split. I would say it’s a good beginner programme but if you are totally new to lifting, the lifts switch every 8 weeks and so it’s quite a lot to learn. There are other simpler programmes out there for novices. Eg stronglifts. I’m not recommending stronglifts over any other programme. It’s just really simple to follow.
    Options
    Also you need a barbell plate and various machines plus dbs. Really need a gym membership to do tls.
  • 0neyear
    0neyear Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    0neyear wrote: »

I did tls - The 3 day split. I would say it’s a good beginner programme but if you are totally new to lifting, the lifts switch every 8 weeks and so it’s quite a lot to learn. There are other simpler programmes out there for novices. Eg stronglifts. I’m not recommending stronglifts over any other programme. It’s just really simple to follow.
    Also you need a barbell plate and various machines plus dbs. Really need a gym membership to do tls.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.. I think I will look further!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    lil pump for those bodyweight and dumbbell only programs....which i need to review
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I did a few sessions of the Reddit RR, and amazingly, my flabby upper arms look amazing! Sure, it's quite heavy on arms, with pushups, dips, rows, pullups, and planks, but I didn't expect such a huge improvement.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Is there a link to this?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried both of Stephanie Buttermore's intermediate to advanced programs?

I can't decide between specialization and optimization. Or for $10 more than one, I could have both. Thoughts?