Non meat protein

Options
13»

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP's question has anything to do with vegan unless "cutting down on meat" is a new approach. /s

Point is that she said landlocked was a reason for not swapping in seafood which is the obvious choice for a non=vegan seeking to reduce meat consumption. And, flash frozen seafood products are safer and fresher than anything other than buying fish at the dock or catching it yourself.

I repeat, shrimp. Buy flash frozen, raw, tail on deveined. $11 per pound here, 110g protein/lb.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Seitan might work. It's high protein and comes from vital wheat gluten. And it's pretty easy to make from semi-scratch; you can find recipes online. (Ingredients are mainly the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, a bit of oil, water, and spices—those are going to vary by recipe, but the one I use has salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder). The simmering liquid is soy sauce, water, and garlic. At least in my recipe.

Seitan is soy

Seitan is wheat gluten, not soy.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Seafood, dairy, protein shakes
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Paying attention to high protein grains and veg can really make a huge difference. https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/grains-high-in-protein.php https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php

If you would like to stick to least processed some easy options are farro (wheat), quinoa, tempeh (same process level as cheese) Seitan (similar process level to anything flour based), edamame, peas, tofu. Broccolli and brussel sprouts are high on the veg list for protein as well. Nuts and seed also help.

Fruit is going to be very low protein in general, so a focus on beans nuts grains and veg is the way to go if you are aiming for a low processed plant based diet. This type of diet tends to be higher volume.

Seitan for what it is worth is the closest think to meat level protein density and can be made in a variety of forms.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »

On that topic, I really like this article: https://www.thefullhelping.com/15-simple-affordable-and-protein-rich-combinations-of-plant-foods/

It's written for a vegan/plant-based audience, but it can be useful for anyone who wants to investigate more non-meat sources of protein.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    No wonder people have trouble losing weight. Swapping out meat for protein powder and beans?

I've been easily maintaining my 40+ weight loss for years on a diet that includes a lot of beans and a bit of protein powder, along with no meat. Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit, not by chowing down on meat and avoiding beans (or vice versa).

Well, I know from reading your posts before that you have, let us say, a "tolerant" palate. Lucky you. For my part, I really like food in my meals as opposed to protein powder. Hence, the recommendation of shrimp. I try to eat a pound of lump crab and a pound of shrimp every week. Plus a little halibut and cod and every now and then some lobster. And, as you said an occasional chowing down on some steak. As for beans, they give me gas. And, my cat does not like that at all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    Paying attention to high protein grains and veg can really make a huge difference. https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/grains-high-in-protein.php https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php

If you would like to stick to least processed some easy options are farro (wheat), quinoa, tempeh (same process level as cheese) Seitan (similar process level to anything flour based), edamame, peas, tofu. Broccolli and brussel sprouts are high on the veg list for protein as well. Nuts and seed also help.

Fruit is going to be very low protein in general, so a focus on beans nuts grains and veg is the way to go if you are aiming for a low processed plant based diet. This type of diet tends to be higher volume.

Seitan for what it is worth is the closest think to meat level protein density and can be made in a variety of forms.

Bolded, true . . . but guavas, at 2.6g P per 100g at 68 calories - pretty good for a fruit, close to some of the things in that veggie list. ;):lol:

Guavas aren't going to solve anybody's protein problem, but they do contribute a tiny bit, and they're tasty. They're in that spreadsheet described by the thread I linked upthread. ;)
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Beans - soy, Navy, white, black,pinto, you name it - are a food HIGH in protein. Tofu, another dish high in protein, is made from soy beans. Plus, they are high in fiber, which some blame for intestinal gas after consuming them. However, regularly adding them to your diet - as a dish by themselves or in recipes where they play a less prominent part - eliminates the gas in just a couple days. Or starting with minimal amounts each day and working up to full serving sizes prevents the gas from the git-go.

Mild in flavor, one of the great things about tofu, and beans in general, is that they pick up the flavors of the ingredients they are prepared with. One doesn't have to enjoy the taste of beans to enjoy them in dishes other than beans. One of my all-time favorite dishes is Navy or Great White Northern beans cooked with smoked hamhocks.

Some trivia concerning beans. We all know who the gladiators were. I used to think they were one of the few classes of people in those times who ate meat, but it turns out they ate little or none. Their protein came from beans, not T-bones.

Dried green peas is another.

• wilson10102018
    Options
    Beans are a poor source of protein for weight loss objectives. The calories per gram of protein are multiples of seafood. Cost is the only reason to look to beans for protein.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Without wishing to single anything out, there are points where - in my opinion as a long-term vegetarian - this thread is getting a little inaccurate in spots, and quibble-y in others.

OP, I'm wondering if a thread I'll like below would be helpful to you. It references a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Of course, most of the things near the top of the list are meaty/fishy, but as you scroll down the spreadsheet, more plant-based sources are there. Perhaps you can use that to find some sources that would help you, and that are foods you might enjoy.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

As an admittedly slightly cranky observation, I feel like you're idealistically wanting the best of many worlds, with your preferences: Not meat, but as protein dense as meat; but not soy, unless it's right off the plant; and moving away from dairy besides. (I don't really understand why no tempeh, frankly: It's just actual beans, plus a culture, in kind of the same way yogurt is milk, plus a culture. It even looks like beans. And humans have been eating the stuff for centuries, maybe millennia.)

There are going to be trade-offs. It's possible to get enough protein from plants alone, and even from primarily whole foods that are plants. But the per-food macro mix, and how you portion/combine food to meet nutritional requirements, is likely to be different, overall. It's a re-thin, IMO.

There's no good way, IMO, to just unplug meat and plug in an equivalent substitute (that's not soy or fake meat) in a similar portion size, and be all set. Getting protein from plants, IMO, works best with a little different way of thinking about getting ones protein . . . unless you like protein powders and bars, I guess (I don't care for them, or actual faux meats that try to taste like meat). I don't know what you're aiming at, but I have no trouble getting 100g minimum protein per day as an ovo-lacto veg, with very few eggs. But I rely on quite a few foods you've ruled out, so I'm at a loss for specific suggestions.

whoops kinda forgot I started this thread so I'm just getting back to it.

I'm not against meats, I just don't want to participate in the meat industry. I'm working my way towards all meat I consume being something I have harvested myself. I'm not there yet, so in the mean time I'm trying to find other sources. Was really just curious if there was a food out there I was missing that had a higher protein-to-carb ratio.

And I did not know that about tempeh, so perhaps I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for your input!
  • PrimaryAdjunctOfUnimatrix1010
    Options
    I take breaks from meat sometimes. I like to pan-sear tofu in coconut oil and drizzle a lil' bit of soy sauce or tamari on top when out of the pan. I swear, I could easily eat a whole block of tofu that way. Makes a great topping for salads alongside carrots, snow peas, and/or red bell peppers topped with Kewpie toasted sesame dressing.