Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    TX announced its first death last night. Since testing was ramped up we're over 100 confirmed cases now according to the JHU map. TX has had such a scattered response. The governor is leaving it up to individual cities to do what they want. While I'm generally more in favor of decentralizing government, in this case I believe it would be better to have a single voice and response plan to lessen the confusion and step up the response.

We have a town right outside of San Antonio that holds a strawberry festival every March. Up until last night they kept saying the festival was going on as planned. Mind you, this is a festival that draws thousands of people. I'm not sure that leaving the decision up to individual towns is the smartest choice at this point.

I was happy to hear that our local school districts just cancelled classes for an additional two weeks. Several of our restaurants have voluntarily closed their dining rooms and gone to take away only. The city of Austin just mandated take-out only for all their bars/restaurants, which makes me wonder how long before SA does the same. To be fair, Austin has 10 confirmed cases, while SA has 4, but I figure it's only a matter of time.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    One thing that bothers me about WV not having any confirmed cases is that it makes us considered to be low-risk and in turn means that the limited number of tests available will be diverted from us to places already known to have cases, leaving us vulnerable. We could already have several people who have it but aren't being tested and are still out and about in the public; I don't like to think of how far this thing will get here in the mountain state before we finally have the first serious case found.

I do appreciate that our state officials are treating this situation as though it were already here in shutting down schools, closing group functions, etc. It is rather frustrating, though, to hear the number of people who are complaining about it :frowning:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are several hundred different viruses that cause upper respiratory symptoms**, symptoms of varying type, duration and severity.

I had a persistent cough in December severe enough for chest X-ray. I've had similar things in past years, though not at all routinely. I'm not going to speculate about what I had. It's at best pointless, and at worst could be harmful.

COVID-19 may have been here longer than we think. Or maybe not.

Please know when you're speculating, vs. when you actually know something. Be clear in your communications accordingly.

Panic and anxiety are more likely when we feed beliefs about conspiracy and cover-ups by speaking darkly and imprecisely about speculations.

** https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/common_cold_causes

So you were tested?

For COVID, in December? No. Nor for flu.

I got a chest X-ray. I didn't have pneumonia, per the chest X-ray. I wasn't tested for flu, or anything else. I have no idea what I had. It was managed symptomatically. Eventually (super slowly, like 6 weeks or more), it went away.

What concerns me is people saying "It must have been here earlier", then stacking up cases of people they know who had some kind of something with some upper respiratory symptoms; deciding it must have been COVID; telling other people "I know it was here earlier, because symptoms in people I know" (pure speculation), and having that kind of thing be mistaken for certainty or proof.

We can "know" things from actual proof (like if the researchers mentioned released the test data they've been scolded for, ideally with the timing of the first positive test(s)).

We can "know" things by inference from facts that are not actually proof, like lots of people having bad respiratory symptoms. "Knowing" can snowball among groups, from the latter kind of "knowing", with people adding their own reasons (still not proof) to the discussion, until some reach conspiracy theories or panics/anxieties of other sorts.

I'm just making a general observation that it's good to think and communicate clearly about what we mean, what we really know vs. assume, guess, or speculate.

I seriously doubt that I had COVID in December (most reasonable inference, I think, based on context). But I don't know. I'm not going to speculate.

Everyone so far in this thread who has said they had "something" has said "maybe" "could have been" etc.

Since none of us were tested, none of us (including you) know.

I just don't understand why this [speculation] bothers you so much? There are thousands walking around right now with it, if you believe the WHO and CDC.

I am staying home. I have enough supplies for a month. I'm 66. I am not going out at all unless it's absolutely necessary. My saying, "I might have had it," is not any different to the WHO and CDC saying, "Many people are asymptomatic," and, "80% will have mild illness." That's not speculation.

Most of us are going to get it (if we haven't already HAD it) and my speculating and your chagrin at that won't change it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    There are several hundred different viruses that cause upper respiratory symptoms**, symptoms of varying type, duration and severity.

I had a persistent cough in December severe enough for chest X-ray. I've had similar things in past years, though not at all routinely. I'm not going to speculate about what I had. It's at best pointless, and at worst could be harmful.

COVID-19 may have been here longer than we think. Or maybe not.

Please know when you're speculating, vs. when you actually know something. Be clear in your communications accordingly.

Panic and anxiety are more likely when we feed beliefs about conspiracy and cover-ups by speaking darkly and imprecisely about speculations.

** https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/common_cold_causes

which is why I did state that Maybe it was here; maybe not, and we won't know for sure in any case. What troubles me is that several people I've talked to in the area have already made that connection in their minds, which in turn has been further cementing the local belief that Covid-19 is no worse than the normal flu; after all, as the reasoning goes, its been here and lots of people got it and no one died, so its not a big deal.

Which is a very dangerous sentiment, and unfortunately in my area of WV, is a common one. Many people in WV are playing out the exact same scenario that has played out several times already in other places; many people don't want to take this seriously and won't follow the social distancing measures until the threat becomes very real - but, as we've already seen, at that point, its too late because by the time a person is found to have it based on symptoms, they've already been out and about and spreading it around. Which is frustrating to me, especially with the people in my own family who still think this is nothing more than fearmongering from the media blowing it out of proportion for news ratings (and yes, I've heard that argument repeatedly) - I tell them to look at China, look at Italy, look at other countries where the death toll and infection rate is climbing, how many countries are locking themselves down because of this.

Exactly the bolded.

I was not intending to specifically accuse you (or anyone else here) of anything. I was making a general observation.