Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Berkeley Co. WV had their first case, confirmed an hour ago from what my husband said :/

ETA: if I were a betting person, I would have put money on the first being in the eastern panhandle...
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Just checking stats--of the 5500 or so cases in the US as of midday today, the origins of 4300 were unknown--that is, community spread. I sure hope people are finally staying home.

What's your source? my husband has found a lot of sources and I'd like to pass that along.

I can't believe I didn't give the source; my bad. Scroll down below the map--there's a few graphics and this infor is in one of them-a table, "How Virus was Contracted." The number for Unknown is now at 4800+

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

• moonangel12
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    We have a power blip every day now at 630 pm for the last 3 days. A little unnerving.

9 months from now are we going to see an increase in births? Or opposite since we can't touch one another?

We had a power blip too. WTH is that about?? Weird.

There is no rule against family members touching each other, so yeah, baby boom. The quarantine generation and in 2034, the quaranteens.
    Hubby was joking about a baby boom when this first started - and it will be WORLDWIDE!

• moonangel12
    Options
    Dang it - taxes could be delayed 90 days :/ and ours haven’t been filed yet... bummer
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Berkeley Co. WV had their first case, confirmed an hour ago from what my husband said :/

ETA: if I were a betting person, I would have put money on the first being in the eastern panhandle...

We both could have racked up some dough, @moonangel12 , because that's where I figured it'd show up first, too!

Dang it - taxes could be delayed 90 days :/ and ours haven’t been filed yet... bummer

Thankfully, I was able to get my taxes done back in mid February, and both my state and federal returns came in this week.
  • moonangel12
    Options

We both could have racked up some dough, @moonangel12 , because that's where I figured it'd show up first, too!

Thankfully, I was able to get my taxes done back in mid February, and both my state and federal returns came in this week.
    We got ours together last night, but not soon enough, and hubby didn’t get him to the guy at work (nor has his aunt given us the last bit of info from our old church in NC). Argh. Part of that could be their staggered staffing, maybe he wasn’t in today.

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    :o Kansas schools closed the rest of the year

:D Laughing at myself here - I had to go check, that's the rest of the school year, not the calendar year (in my defence, the school year here runs from late January to mid December, so if my kids' schools closed for the rest of the year, we'd be looking at a loooooooong time at home...which may still come to pass, I guess)

We've gone from 8 cases confirmed in New Zealand about this time yesterday, up to 12 by the time I went to bed last night, and now 20. Apparently all linked to overseas travel, not community transmissions yet. DD's Cubs camp this weekend is "postponed", and now the Breakfast Club I help run at school has been cancelled too.

We're self-employed - DH is an electrician, and I am a bookkeeper. Just waiting to see what the impact will be for us - I can theoretically work from home, but I work for a firm that provides admin to tradesman businesses like DH's, so if those dry up, then so does the bookkeeping work (and I would be first to go).

I'm still managing to get my usual weekly grocery deliveries - had to book an extra day in advance of what I usually would, and they just called to check a couple of substitutions as my selected brands were out of stock, but mostly normal at this stage.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I heard somewhere in the media that America is two weeks away from what has happened in Italy... is that true or fake news?

People have been saying that for almost 2 weeks now... so I guess we should see within the next 2-3 days.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    SA is now up to 11 cases. 4 are travel-related, 3 are related to close association with those infected and 4 are still being investigated.

I think it's safe to say that we're at the level of community spread now. :/
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere in the media that America is two weeks away from what has happened in Italy... is that true or fake news?

People have been saying that for almost 2 weeks now... so I guess we should see within the next 2-3 days.

The US surgeon general said this on Monday.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »

The US surgeon general said this on Monday.

I've heard others saying it for quite a bit longer. It's one of those "tomorrow will never come" stories, right? As long as you say "2 weeks" every day for the next several months, it can never be proven wrong.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are several hundred different viruses that cause upper respiratory symptoms**, symptoms of varying type, duration and severity.

I had a persistent cough in December severe enough for chest X-ray. I've had similar things in past years, though not at all routinely. I'm not going to speculate about what I had. It's at best pointless, and at worst could be harmful.

COVID-19 may have been here longer than we think. Or maybe not.

Please know when you're speculating, vs. when you actually know something. Be clear in your communications accordingly.

Panic and anxiety are more likely when we feed beliefs about and cover-ups by speaking darkly and imprecisely about speculations.

** https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/common_cold_causes

As usual, the voice of reason. Thanks, Ann.