Stocking up on what??

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    LenGray wrote: »
    I didn't go overboard. I usually have enough groceries for 2 weeks (buy an extra can of beans here, some trash bags there...) so I just went for a grocery run to double-down on essentials.

Probably the main change was buying things to make bread with (since bread doesn't last long with us) and extra tea/coffee in case we get stuck in the house.

I'm also baking bread soon for the first time and it does not look easy.

Great bread thread here! https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10454582/so-i-was-going-to-bake-my-first-bread/p1
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @LenGray
    @just_Tomek
    @mockchoc
    @kshama2001

First of all, y'all are sweet to offer up suggestions! I appreciate the extension of kindness!

Secondly, I'm stuck at the moment but not in any dire need. I went to Walmart down the road and there was no yeast, not one pack. But I did get two bags of flour, a bottle of honey and some sugar and baking soda. As soon as opportunity knocks and there is yeast in stock, I'm picking up quite a bit of yeast to avoid being "bread less" in the future. Dinner tonight is bacon, lettuce, and tomato but since we have two packs of bagels that will work for sandwiches. We have cereal, rice, and oatmeal so we are not without grains. However, the bright side is that we can make pie crust. I have no idea, YET, how exactly to turn that into a meal but I will get creative with it. My grandmother was raised during the Great Depression and she didn't have much money even into retirement so she tried to stretch every dollar. Anyway, she always said "necessity is the mother of creation." I'm thinking turkey meat, chicken broth, flour, and frozen vegetables...pot pie, possibly. I will figure something out until I get yeast.

Thank you again y'all...

You can make flour tortillas without yeast and they can be used like flatbread for a sandwich. If you're at that point before you can find yeast, it may be worth a try (although I don't think anybody doesn't like a nice pot pie!).
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    @LenGray
    @just_Tomek
    @mockchoc
    @kshama2001

First of all, y'all are sweet to offer up suggestions! I appreciate the extension of kindness!

Secondly, I'm stuck at the moment but not in any dire need. I went to Walmart down the road and there was no yeast, not one pack. But I did get two bags of flour, a bottle of honey and some sugar and baking soda. As soon as opportunity knocks and there is yeast in stock, I'm picking up quite a bit of yeast to avoid being "bread less" in the future. Dinner tonight is bacon, lettuce, and tomato but since we have two packs of bagels that will work for sandwiches. We have cereal, rice, and oatmeal so we are not without grains. However, the bright side is that we can make pie crust. I have no idea, YET, how exactly to turn that into a meal but I will get creative with it. My grandmother was raised during the Great Depression and she didn't have much money even into retirement so she tried to stretch every dollar. Anyway, she always said "necessity is the mother of creation." I'm thinking turkey meat, chicken broth, flour, and frozen vegetables...pot pie, possibly. I will figure something out until I get yeast.

Thank you again y'all...

You can make flour tortillas without yeast and they can be used like flatbread for a sandwich. If you're at that point before you can find yeast, it may be worth a try (although I don't think anybody doesn't like a nice pot pie!).

Awwwwww thank you sweet lady! I'm doing it!!!
  • kshama2001
    @LenGray
    @just_Tomek
    @mockchoc
    @kshama2001

Thank you again y'all...

Sure, with pie crust you can indeed make savory pies like chicken pot pie. No yeast required for empanada dough either: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/empanada-dough-230786

empanada-dough.jpg

You can also make tortillas without yeast. I use the recipe in my Joy of Cooking.

Hopefully you already have rolling dough dialed in. I struggled for decades until I got one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HK2DNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41zigKi7MsL._AC_.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Also, Irish Soda Bread if you have bicarbonate of soda and/or baking powder.

Super simple way to make tasty no yeast bread to tide you over - great with soups, chillis etc and fine for a rustic style sandwich too!

I made Irish Soda Bread yesterday!
  • One toilet paper roll goes a long way if you regularly take at least two tablespoons of Metamucil each day.

#nowipeturds
  • LoveyChar
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @LenGray
    @just_Tomek
    @mockchoc
    @kshama2001

Thank you again y'all...

Sure, with pie crust you can indeed make savory pies like chicken pot pie. No yeast required for empanada dough either: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/empanada-dough-230786

empanada-dough.jpg

You can also make tortillas without yeast. I use the recipe in my Joy of Cooking.

Hopefully you already have rolling dough dialed in. I struggled for decades until I got one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HK2DNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41zigKi7MsL._AC_.jpg

Love, love, loving this! Thank you!
  • LoveyChar
    Also, Irish Soda Bread if you have bicarbonate of soda and/or baking powder.

Super simple way to make tasty no yeast bread to tide you over - great with soups, chillis etc and fine for a rustic style sandwich too!

I do have baking powder!!! Thank you, you have no idea how grateful I am!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    We didn't stockpile anything. We do most of our normal grocery shopping at Costco, so we pretty much always shop in bulk and have a well stocked pantry. We also have a refrigerator in the kitchen, one in the garage, and a stand alone freezer in the garage that are always pretty well stocked.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Pepsi Max and sugar-free gum. Good thing that there is plenty of both of those on the shelves and they were on special. I did also buy a 2 kg bag of rice when I would normally only buy one. I also bought a whole kg of tomatoes rather than just a couple as it was cheaper that way. Other than that it has been business as usual with my shopping. I always have a few weeks supply of everything but fresh produce on hand anyway as I shop to special.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I didn't go overboard. I usually have enough groceries for 2 weeks (buy an extra can of beans here, some trash bags there...) so I just went for a grocery run to double-down on essentials.

Probably the main change was buying things to make bread with (since bread doesn't last long with us) and extra tea/coffee in case we get stuck in the house.

I'm also baking bread soon for the first time and it does not look easy.

It's not as hard as you think! :D The suggestions in the thread are pretty great ways to start ^_^

I learned how to make bread as a kid and then started doing it as a hobby about two years ago when I got interested in herbalism and started making my own herb butters and jams. ^_^

It is in Australia as I haven't seen flour on the shelves for over a week!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    My staples are all out of stock in all stores and either out or hiked up in price online. :( Tumaros wraps, palmini, canned pumpkin, PB2 chocolate, etc)