I want to die of produce jealousy rn.
    All of the Lotus Things I have not had.
    And grilled things!
    So. Jealous.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    summery79 wrote: »
    @acpgee Do you think I should have cut the lotus root thinner for (air) frying? It’s going to be a bit of a mess now that I’ve put them in the marinade but I want them to turn out well!

I actually don't know, as the only time I had lotus root was in a restaurant. I would air fry a single chip and then decide if you need to slice the rest of the batch thinner.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    So... dragon fruit. It was underwhelming. Don't know if I got a bad one but... it's pretty bland. It was a white fleshed/pink skinned one. Does it make a difference?

Hopefully the broccolini for a stir fry later this week is better!
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    We were really happy with the lotus root! I did end up cutting it to about 1/4”, then air fried at 380F for 15 min (flipping/switching position of trays halfway through). Finishing touches were a drizzle of hoisin and a sprinkle of sesame and scallions 👌🏽
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @Athijade I agree that the white dragonfruit is bland. (It’s so pretty though!) I usually mix it with other fruits in a salad when I serve it. I’d love to find the ones with the pink inside sometime!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    @Athijade I agree that the white dragonfruit is bland. (It’s so pretty though!) I usually mix it with other fruits in a salad when I serve it. I’d love to find the ones with the pink inside sometime!

The ones that are bright pink inside do have more flavour. Not tons of flavour though. It's kind of "floral" tasting.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »

The ones that are bright pink inside do have more flavour. Not tons of flavour though. It's kind of "floral" tasting.

Thinking I may just skip trying another sort based off of that. Not worth the money for me (the one I got was over $5).
  • acpgee
    Options
    We don’t usually have sweet potato because I am not crazy about them. Bought a bag when I just needed one for a dessert. What is your favourite thing to do with sweet potato?

Here’s a picture of the dessert by the way. Vanilla ice cream, miso caramel sauce, roasted black sesame, candied ginger, dehydrated spiralized sweet potato.
    ode70fhrvgch.jpeg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @acpgee I love baked sweet potatoes served with bbq-style beans or in a red curry-style sauce with other vegetables.

That dessert looks so beautiful!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,228 Member
    Options
    I bought some garnet yams yesterday. They are orange sweet potatoes that, for some reason, are called yams. I am eating them for lunch right now. I thought about cutting them into wedges, but the one I cut up was too big, so I cut it into about 0.75" cubes (a couple cm). I ended up with 454 grams of vegetable, and I tossed with 11 grams of good olive oil and mixed by hand. Once coated, I added some salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Into a 425-degree convection oven for 20 minutes, stir, put back in five or more minutes until they looked right.

I love 'em!

It was a big enough potato that I decided not to roast the broccoli I have too. Maybe for supper. I have three more big garnet yams, a half dozen red potatoes, and a sack of organic russets.

I haven't yet decided what to do with the cabbage I bought. Organic and fifty cents a pound. I might just make a cabbage salad. Shred the cabbage, add lime juice and wine vinegar, a little bit of sunflower oil, salt, pepper, thin sliced onion, and some hot chilies. Mix well and let sit at least a couple hours.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    @acpgee: What a beautiful dessert, and it sounds so good!

I'd never heard of miso caramel (backwoods provincial that I am ;) ), but I love miso with my naturally-sweet Winter squash. I see that there are a bunch of recipes online for miso caramel. Is there a particular one you like, or tips you might have?

Thanks!
  • acpgee
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @acpgee: What a beautiful dessert, and it sounds so good!

I'd never heard of miso caramel (backwoods provincial that I am ;) ), but I love miso with my naturally-sweet Winter squash. I see that there are a bunch of recipes online for miso caramel. Is there a particular one you like, or tips you might have?

Thanks!

Here's the recipe I used for miso caramel sauce. A bit more intriguing and complex than regular salted caramel. You can use coconut cream to make it vegan and even more asian tasting. That ice cream dessert re-creates something I once ate at a yakitori restaurant. A great way to serve ice cream after an asian meal. We plan to try leftover sauce on pancakes with banana.

https://food52.com/recipes/18618-miso-caramel
  • acpgee
    Options
    Thinking of other uses for miso caramel sauce. It would probably be a fantastic replacement for sweeteners in baked bean recipes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @just_Tomek Your food always looks amazing. I'd pay for that dish!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »

This is why I never go out to eat. When I go out its for something I have absolutely no clue how to make, nor ingredients available to try :)

And thank you.
    just_Tomek wrote: »

This is why I never go out to eat. When I go out its for something I have absolutely no clue how to make, nor ingredients available to try :)

And thank you.

Me too! Yum!!! I've not noticed tofu noodles here in Australia. If anyone has seen them let me know where please. I've only seen the plain shirataki ones.
  • acpgee
    Options
    The smoke detector went off while I was preparing the salad.
    xxcvomq2aal6.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I am curious about experiences, preferences, and recommendations for roasting vegetables.

Do you vary the temperature based on what you're roasting? What guidelines do you use?

If you have a convection oven, do you prefer to roast with or without the convection? My convection oven allegedly lowers the temperature if you use the fan so you don't have to.

Or do you choose a different mode for different vegetables?

As much as I like to cook, I didn't come around to roasting vegetables until maybe three or five years ago. My ex used to make roasted roots, and I was an easy convert. She had a gas oven, non-convection. I have no idea what temperatures she used. She used Pyrex.

I tend to use sheet pans with parchment paper. I tend to use convection. I tend to mostly set around 425F, irrespective of what I'm roasting. I tend to cut small potatoes into quarters, large potatoes and sweet potatoes into .6 - 1.0 inch pieces (1.5-3 cm). I vary the herbs/spices depending on what I'm cooking. I tried a garnet yam cut in wedges yesterday; I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.

I've been pretty good at timing when I want to do something like broccoli and potatoes in the same oven - just get the spuds cooking five minutes while doing final prep on the broccoli; they come out about the same time and both crispy.

I'm thinking about roasting some cabbage. It will be a bit of an experiment. I'll make a second pan with potatoes. No reason to cook rice if I've already got a hot oven and a sack of russets and a few red potatoes.

I love to roast beets. So yum. I haven't roasted rutabaga yet; probably soon. I'm thinking parsnips would be great. What am I missing that I should put on my list next time I venture out to risk contamination and get some fresh produce?

Sometimes I fill one tray with tempeh. Yum.

In a few short moths, there will be LOTS of ripe artichokes in the back yard. Reckon I should par-cook them, then slice them in half or quarter, and roast. By then it may be too hot to run the oven, so charcoals may be the method.

h1ht0p5w6w9l.jpg
    j3k5b6nnthjh.jpg
    jsp94nkvdxqo.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    The cabbage turned out surprisingly well with my "standard treatment." Took half the cabbage and made wedges about .6" thick. I should have made fewer thicker wedges; next time.

I flipped them over halfway through; hard to keep 'em together. Very interesting combination of crispy and crunchy and savory. I tossed on some garlic and caraway. Maybe I'll cook the other half tomorrow, and two more potatoes. If I want any more caraway, I will have to brave the grocery, so I'll pick a different flavor unless I find a secret stash. I bet I have one. If not... Maybe dill.

6gab1icr2evx.jpg
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @mtaratoot I’ve just recently started roasting vegetables. I like white potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, and I put apples, pears or peaches with them. 400 to 425, no convection. I cut them in bigger pieces than you do. Small potatoes in half, smaller baking sized potatoes in 6 or 8 chunks, apples in 8 to 12 wide slices, cabbage pretty thick.
    I have tried and tried broccoli. I’ve burned it.ive made it raw. But I’ve never made it taste good. I love broccoli. I don’t see how I could make it taste so bad.
    I’ve thought of parsnips, will probably try them someday.
    Yours looks really good!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,571 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    The cabbage turned out surprisingly well with my "standard treatment." Took half the cabbage and made wedges about .6" thick. I should have made fewer thicker wedges; next time.

I flipped them over halfway through; hard to keep 'em together. Very interesting combination of crispy and crunchy and savory. I tossed on some garlic and caraway. Maybe I'll cook the other half tomorrow, and two more potatoes. If I want any more caraway, I will have to brave the grocery, so I'll pick a different flavor unless I find a secret stash. I bet I have one. If not... Maybe dill.

6gab1icr2evx.jpg

Great idea with the cabbage, I bought one because it was a great price and I'll probably make egg roll in a bowl, if any is left over I'll try roasting it.

I prefer roasted vegetables for the most part, I don't have a convection oven so that's not a factor, I usually roast 400-425. I love balsamic vinegars on roasted vegetables, I have a cherry balsamic and it's great on brussel sprouts. For Thanksgiving I roasted sweet potato, turnip, carrots, brussel sprouts, onion, mushrooms, pepper, and beets with balsamic, garlic, and some olive oil and fresh herbs. I have an herb garden so I try to use what I can as well as a bunch of spice blends and singles.

@corinasue1143 Parsnips are great roasted, I'm going to do them with some purple carrots and onions. As far as broccoli it's easy to burn, I used to burn it too so I check it after 10 minutes. I recently followed a recipe for roasting it with a little sesame oil, I usually use olive and it tasted so good I'm on a sesame oil kick now.