For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    I love those meals that are essentially warm dips for raw veg. We pulled a batch of nam prik ong out of the freezer to use up the leftover crudites from Tuesday's bagna cauda. I use an easy hacks recipe that starts with commercial Thai red curry paste. Most recipes call for making your own curry paste.
    https://importfood.com/recipes/recipe/201-spicy-pork-and-tomato-dip-with-veggies-nam-prik-ong
    95jt3nxqnd2p.jpg

• spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    My current favorite way to cook beets is to peel them, cut them into big chunks, and toss them in a slow cooker with some onion chunks, a little olive oil, and a seasoning blend. No liquid is needed. The beets are tender and sweet in about 3 hours, although slow cookers vary. The leftovers make great smoothies with yogurt and fresh ginger.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    edited September 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I've been thinking of going to Trader Joe's sometime soon. I've never tried an every day seasoning but love 21 Seasoning Salute on vegetables and eggs.

I'm having trouble making up my mind on how to make beets from my produce box. I'll preface this by saying I've never made them because the couple times I tried them they tasted like dirt, but want to like them! I'm either going to roast them or cook in the Instant Pot. Thoughts? Seasoning? I don't have most of the salad pairings recommended in recipes, no goat cheese, walnuts, or oranges. I have a few types of balsamic, apple cider, rice wine, and TJ balsamic and fig dressing. I have potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and butternut squash so roasted vegetables would work. Also have apples, lemons, pears, cauliflower, baby broccoli, onions, broccoli, spinach, peppers of all kinds, spaghetti squash, brussel sprouts, plus my daily salad stuff and frozen veg. I have enough stuff that I probably won't make them for about a week and will likely go to the store by then so I'm willing to pick up a few things. Thanks!

As a true experiment, I was thinking of chunking some up (cooked) and tossing them with some horseradish feta spread I got at the farmers market, plus some chickpea pasta. Maybe finely-chopped raw sweet onions, too. Could be a bad plan, but if it happens, I guess we'll see. ;)

Have you tried the classic 'Harvard Beets'? Basically just sweet & sour.

Good in pretty much any generic salad. Apples or pears and beets are good together, in salad or other dishes. 'Carpaccio' of beets is good (raw, ultra-thinly sliced) but you'll need some kind of dressing or dip. (Personally I'd try it with the fig dressing, but I like trying strange combos.)

I used to totally think beets were too ‘earthy’ for me too!
    I actually really like them raw, super thinly shaved. I throw them in salads.

But if they’re cooked I like them on top of greens, with fatty creamy stuff like goat cheese or blue & pistachios or similar. Balsamic dressing, I usually straight good balsamic, specifically a local golden balsamic that is naturally sweet. The fats from the cheese and nuts balance it.

Or golden beets, roasted in lemon-butter-garlic combo.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,018 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    <snip>

As a true experiment, I was thinking of chunking some up (cooked) and tossing them with some horseradish feta spread I got at the farmers market, plus some chickpea pasta. Maybe finely-chopped raw sweet onions, too. Could be a bad plan, but if it happens, I guess we'll see. ;)

<snip>

Selfie-quoting to say I tried it, and liked it (added some coarse-ground black pepper) . . . it did have an alarming pepto-bismol-pink color, though ;) :
    djyy43c7dfyg.jpg
    Side salad of fresh tomatoes, roasted eggplant, sliced sweet onions, cottage cheese, TJ 21 Seasoning Salute:
    ta9d18z3f9mp.jpg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    zgyb52ns1dov.jpg

currently craving.

Yum! @pancakerunner - agreee.... 😋 getting them nice and crispy is an artform too!!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I have a fantastic looking recipe for a Sri Lankan Beetroot Curry that I’ve been wanting to try for quite some time. Apparently it’s a very popular dish in that part of the world, which surprised me greatly. I think of beetroot as a temperate climate vegetable.

I got myself together a few months ago to make it, but when I mentioned it to my husband he made 🤮 that face...so it never got done. I made a beetroot and horseradish spread with the beetroot instead so all was not lost!

I’m unexpectedly having shoulder surgery next week so maybe I’ll make it my plan to cook it for myself as soon as I’m up to it, because it’s never left my mind since then!
  • AnnPT77
    If y'all with the beets are starting from whole beets with tops, definitely eat the greens (separately from the roots if you wish), as long as they're still reasonably fresh and tender. Beet greens (IMO) are among the tastiest of greens. They don't really have the earthy taste that the beet roots do, but have a heartier, richer flavor than a lot of other greens.

Just saute or prep as you would any other cooked greens. I'd suggest going simple (fat, salt, pepper, maybe a little plain vinegar or light broth, that sort of thing) so you can understand the flavor profile before starting to season them up.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    zgyb52ns1dov.jpg

currently craving.

Yum! @pancakerunner - agreee.... 😋 getting them nice and crispy is an artform too!!

Yes! Topped with bacon... perfect.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    Tried out a Chinese stir fry with seitan in preparation for vegetarian house guests arriving next week. It's pretty good, although I will probably only use it when feeding vegetarians. I think I will keep a tin of that stuff in the pantry in order to be able to whip up a quick vegan stir fry with veg.
    9773wjnxi2i2.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2019
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Curry and sockeye. Yes. A lot of yes.

<snip image, for length.>

For the sake of the vegetarians among us - OK, me, because I know you're a good cook (<== understatement) - could you be a little more specific about what's in that curry?

Thanks!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,550 Member
    Thank you all for your beets responses! I'm still unsure what I'll do with them but will think on it a bit.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Not sure why I hadn't found this thread before. Love it! Working through from the beginning, and I am sure it will be a resource to go randomly pick a page and find something fun to cook.

I had a “windfall” today. Not actually windfall fruit, but somehow my figs are getting ripe, and the dehydrator is full of Asian pears, Italian prune plums, two kinds of figs, and tomatoes. I keep cycling more through as I get capacity.
    jdfzqlqwpb8e.jpg

A couple weeks ago on my way back home from my shift at the aquarium, I decided that since we haven't changed the time back to standard yet, I had plenty of daylight to go to the forest. We had about a half inch of rain in the valley the couple days before, and a lot more over on the coast and in the coast range. We hadn't had a lot of warm weather after, but since I was already in the area, I'd go stomp around. I only found one lobster, and it already had been harvested (just the rotten bits left behind). I found no boletes. But I did get my limit of Golden Chanterelles.
    mfmflwc296bf.jpg

Maybe not the typical produce, but I'm not typical either :wink:

....and that is why I'm very envious of your 'finds'...you don't know how lucky you are! I'm sure those fresh, ripe figs tasted like heaven :p
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member

Welcome, and insert mushroom envy HERE.
    My neighbor forages and brings me lions mane sometimes - I usually just do roasted with salt, garlic and olive oil - wow.

The best thing about produce, IMO, is that there is no typical. I’m so excited that mainstream markets are branching beyond sad ‘red or green’ apples and iceberg.

Tonight, eating golden kiwis straight to the face. 4. I’ll figure out a proper meal shortly. But sometimes you just have to stand over the sink and slurp juice as it runs down your arm.
    I’m classy like that.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,156 Member
    <snip>
    But sometimes you just have to stand over the sink and slurp juice as it runs down your arm.
    I’m classy like that.

I work in water conservation. I joke in some presentations regarding water efficiency of hand-washing versus machine washing that eating over the sink is best. It saves water because you have fewer dishes.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    On a hike yesterday, we went past a number of blackberry bushes, a cider apple tree, and a field of ripe maize ready for harvest.

<burp>
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,156 Member
    Marion berries were delicious this year; by now they are all ready for fall and next summer. I love how the cores just fall out, and the thorns aren't as nasty as the invasive species we have all over the place around here.

zki6qz81a8bz.jpg

Raspberries are still producing....

3fnzixc1w9l7.jpg