For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Molokhia is more commonly called Egyptian spinach in the USA.
    I have grown it from seed in the past. It makes great wilted greens.
    https://migardener.com/store/99-seeds-by-category/vegetables/egyptian-spinach/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to list the jalapeno that was also in the soup. It added a bit of heat, not much.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Has anybody tried, or even see, the new Cosmic Crisp apples? I've been looking, but I haven't seen them yet.

I saw some at WF, so tried one after seeing them discussed on the thread.

Speaking only for myself, I'm underwhelmed. It tastes like a modern apple, and kinda like an apple that will keep for a year in cold storage.

I like variety in apples, but I'm not mostly a fan of some of the highly-touted modern eating-apple varieties, which seem to me to run to bland and over-sweet. For raw eating, I'd prefer something more tart and acid, though I admit I'll usually eat the apple that's in front of me (with prejudice against Macintosh or either color of Delicious).

It was huge, too: Most of the apples I eat are smaller, say 110-125g after coring but with skin. This was 225g, and from what I read, they're intentionally bred to be big. I'd rather the smaller, personally.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Root vegetables tend to be underrated, I think.

I have been eating turnips this week and am excited about the celeriac I'll have this weekend.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,586 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Rutabaga. Got one that was 900g after cleaned. Been eating it all week.
    100g = 40cal so whole thing was 360cal.
    I had it roasted in chunks, made baked fries and finally had it pureed. Excellent humble nasty looking vegg :)

I tried rutabaga for the first time last year, I used a mandolin and layered with apple and onions, it came out so good! I'll have to try fries and mashed.
  • amtyrell
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Root vegetables tend to be underrated, I think.

I have been eating turnips this week and am excited about the celeriac I'll have this weekend.

I have been growing and eating a ton of turnips and radishes this winter. Love me some root crops. Particularly when the only things still growing are root crops and lettuce
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I don't have anything growing, but will be hitting the green market tomorrow to see what they have (usually only eggs, meat, canned stuff, and apples and other produce that cellars well, but we shall see). ;-) I haven't made it there yet this winter.

I have to plant turnips and radishes next year, those would be fun to grow.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    When I had half a bulb of celeriac leftover from making Dutch pea soup, someone on this thread recommended this soup. We thought it was terrific.
    https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/family/celeriac-soup-with-chorizo-oil/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    For me a new way to prepare root vegetables. I was at a somewhat fancy restaurant on Wednesday and they made a hash brown out of finely grated parsnip. A little hard to see in the photo as it is sitting under the partridge breast. Incidentally the poached leeks finished in butter were a revelation too.
    tw14tz0mbwxs.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    For me a new way to prepare root vegetables. I was at a somewhat fancy restaurant on Wednesday and they made a hash brown out of finely grated parsnip. A little hard to see in the photo as it is sitting under the partridge breast. Incidentally the poached leeks finished in butter were a revelation too.
    tw14tz0mbwxs.jpeg

Wow!!! Parsnip hash brown.... must figure out how to recreate!
  • amtyrell
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    When I had half a bulb of celeriac leftover from making Dutch pea soup, someone on this thread recommended this soup. We thought it was terrific.
    https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/family/celeriac-soup-with-chorizo-oil/

I love garlic roasted celeriac if you are looking for more ideas
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    une4zh0itgnp.jpeg

I’ve never seen either of these before in the shops, so figured I’d ask!

I know Persimmons have cropped up here recently but how about the Chayote? Any ideas on how best to cook/eat it?
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    une4zh0itgnp.jpeg

I’ve never seen either of these before in the shops, so figured I’d ask!

I know Persimmons have cropped up here recently but how about the Chayote? Any ideas on how best to cook/eat it?

I stole this from shape.com : :)

You can eat all parts of the chayote (and probs should-remember the nutrients in that peel), which makes it versatile for cooking and eating. (If you remember the shrimp monologue from Forrest Gump-"you can pickle it, sauté it, grill it, bake it, roast it…"-the same goes for chayote.) Each method will bring out different flavors and textures. For example, grilling caramelizes the chayote due to its sugar content. It is low in sugar but still a fruit.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Basically sounds like I can just treat it like a lot of root veg or squash.

Also, thanks for the warning about the potential slime factor, that would definitely put me off if I wasn’t forewarned.

The taste will have to surprise me when I get to it because I have never seen a real life kohlrabi either, though I do have a vague idea of what they are!

I’ll start with slicing and cooking on the cast iron grill pan I think, to get a feel for it’s taste and texture.
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use chayote often - it is popular amongst us low carb eaters! I use it in place of apples in desserts like apple cinnamon crisp. I cut it in half and bowl it for about 10 minutes, slice it thinly, mix it with cinnamon and a bit of all spice, coconut oil, coconut flour, chopped nuts and put it in a shallow pyrex dish. I sprinkle chopped nuts, coconut flakes, a bit of flour and coconut oil on top and bake it until it’s bubbly. It has the perfect texture to replace apple and takes on the spicy flavor well. It creates a very easy yummy low carb treat
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Thank you both! Basically sounds like I can just treat it like a lot of root veg or squash.

Also, thanks for the warning about the potential slime factor, that would definitely put me off if I wasn’t forewarned.

The taste will have to surprise me when I get to it because I have never seen a real life kohlrabi either, though I do have a vague idea of what they are!

I’ll start with slicing and cooking on the cast iron grill pan I think, to get a feel for it’s taste and texture.

Kohlrabi is kind of like turnip. I really like it (it's good raw with a bit of salt, as well as cooked). I've never had chayote.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    The skin on a choyote, known as choko in Australia can be tough if it's not a nice young one so then I would peel it. The one in the photo doesn't look very young. They grow like a weed over here. In the depression they were very common apparently.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,586 Member
    Options
    Kohlrabi is awesome, just peel with a sharp knife! When I tried choyote I just stir fried it with other vegetables. It was good but I probably won't buy again unless it's on sale. It looked cool so I had to try it! With the baking persimmons my grandma used to make the best persimmon bread and cookies once they softened up.