Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

For the love of Produce...

1323335373840

Replies

  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,616Member Member Posts: 6,616Member Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    m0bs0tkcngjg.jpg
    ....a little carried away today shopping...it's all for me too lol!
    (I have no idea why the broccoli looks like it has white 'powder' on top?)

    You are safe here. Everything I see here with exception of mushrooms will keep in the fridge for couple weeks. Many meals can be had here. I would have a load of fun with this basket haha. Good call on buying proper garlic and not the *kitten* Chinese stuff that tastes vile. Next time buy couple more heads and roast them as you roast your veggies and make into dressing.
    Tip..... take the mushrooms out of those plastic tubs and place into a paper bag. They will keep much longer.
    edited August 7
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,616Member Member Posts: 6,616Member Member
    Someone placed this beautiful milk fed grilled veal chop on top of quarter of my fattoush salad and curried pumpkin pure.

    4z72zjbwf45p.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Posts: 3,614Member Member Posts: 3,614Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    m0bs0tkcngjg.jpg
    ....a little carried away today shopping...it's all for me too lol!
    (I have no idea why the broccoli looks like it has white 'powder' on top?)

    You are safe here. Everything I see here with exception of mushrooms will keep in the fridge for couple weeks. Many meals can be had here. I would have a load of fun with this basket haha. Good call on buying proper garlic and not the *kitten* Chinese stuff that tastes vile. Next time buy couple more heads and roast them as you roast your veggies and make into dressing.
    Tip..... take the mushrooms out of those plastic tubs and place into a paper bag. They will keep much longer.

    Thanks for the 'support'...lol!

    I plan on using the mushrooms in many dishes in the very near future...starting with a mushroom/egg omelette for breakfast...paper bag already instigated too:)

    Oh, and I actually did purchase more than the one head of garlic (4 actually...just can't see them) with that idea of roasting in mind...along with a few more of the onions(that you can't see either). Nothing beats roasting...noms
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 3,714Member Member Posts: 3,714Member Member
    lg013 wrote: »

    Too much butter in it has always made me feel sick. You just have to whisk it constantly when heating up to avoid a scrambled egg effect. It will thicken up a bit more, but if it’s too think simply add a tiny (less than teaspoon) of water in and mix...keep adding water to get it to the consistency you want.

    I used the technique of @Ig013 to made hollandaise in a ceramic bowl over a saucepan of simmering water on the stove and it was pretty easy. Less cleanup than the the blender method. I melted the butter in the microwave and used 45 g butter with the juice from three quarters of a lemon (that's what I had lying around), a splash of white wine and a shot of green tabasco and whisked in one egg yolk. It was a little bit too acidic for my taste so next time will use less lemon. Will also make it in a bigger bowl next time because manipulting a hot bowl to distribute sauce between little individual serving dishes was fiddly.

    Hooray for artichoke season. I also discovered there is no point in cutting off the top third of the artichoke (as most recipes specify) if your steaming vessel is big enough to fit the whole artichokes.

    lal9gf3i7zhq.jpeg



  • FocusOnNutritionHollyFocusOnNutritionHolly Posts: 8Member Member Posts: 8Member Member
    Wow your produce game is strong💪🏻🌱 I definitely need to try new produce. I just love my favorites that I don’t venture much lol
  • purplefizzypurplefizzy Posts: 398Member Member Posts: 398Member Member
    wqmeiac9q42k.jpeg

    I was on an Apple ban for a while. Too out of season, no good.
    Then, the honey crisps called. Sparkling at me from the shelf.
    Bought a few.
    Super thin sliced. Tonight, first one.
    Took a bite- nervous that it was gonna suck.
    It didn’t suck!
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,616Member Member Posts: 6,616Member Member
    wqmeiac9q42k.jpeg

    I was on an Apple ban for a while. Too out of season, no good.
    Then, the honey crisps called. Sparkling at me from the shelf.
    Bought a few.
    Super thin sliced. Tonight, first one.
    Took a bite- nervous that it was gonna suck.
    It didn’t suck!

    Where is the cinnamon / PB2 drizzle on these?????
  • purplefizzypurplefizzy Posts: 398Member Member Posts: 398Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    wqmeiac9q42k.jpeg

    I was on an Apple ban for a while. Too out of season, no good.
    Then, the honey crisps called. Sparkling at me from the shelf.
    Bought a few.
    Super thin sliced. Tonight, first one.
    Took a bite- nervous that it was gonna suck.
    It didn’t suck!

    Where is the cinnamon / PB2 drizzle on these?????

    Cinnamon I’m working on liking. Usually it just tastes dusty to my pallet, probably because I always bought the dead cheap stuff. I’ve always been hardcore into fresh grated nutmeg where most folks use cinnamon. I did get a few decent cinnamons to keep trying. I remain open.

    PB2 can be dangerous for me. I actually but the straight defatted double roasted peanut flour, and add a bit of salt myself - I have a thing about sweetened nuts. Hate them. I LOVE the natural sweetness of raw nuts. But those, like the peanut flour- I’ll totally eat them when I’m not hungry, just because I want the ‘mouth party.’ I’ll eat peanut powder with a spoon, dry. No kidding. So I usually sort of avoid it unless it’s critical in something, like the sweet potato peanut stew I was obsessed with last year.

  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,616Member Member Posts: 6,616Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    wqmeiac9q42k.jpeg

    I was on an Apple ban for a while. Too out of season, no good.
    Then, the honey crisps called. Sparkling at me from the shelf.
    Bought a few.
    Super thin sliced. Tonight, first one.
    Took a bite- nervous that it was gonna suck.
    It didn’t suck!

    Where is the cinnamon / PB2 drizzle on these?????

    Cinnamon I’m working on liking. Usually it just tastes dusty to my pallet, probably because I always bought the dead cheap stuff. I’ve always been hardcore into fresh grated nutmeg where most folks use cinnamon. I did get a few decent cinnamons to keep trying. I remain open.

    PB2 can be dangerous for me. I actually but the straight defatted double roasted peanut flour, and add a bit of salt myself - I have a thing about sweetened nuts. Hate them. I LOVE the natural sweetness of raw nuts. But those, like the peanut flour- I’ll totally eat them when I’m not hungry, just because I want the ‘mouth party.’ I’ll eat peanut powder with a spoon, dry. No kidding. So I usually sort of avoid it unless it’s critical in something, like the sweet potato peanut stew I was obsessed with last year.

    So just to show you how similar we eat....
    Pretty much every day I get home from work and open the freezer and take out a slice of frozen banana and pop that in my mouth. Go to a cupboard and pop a square of Lindt 99% dark chocolate followed by a spoon of PB2 that sits just above it. And to top it all, pinch of chocolate covered toasted coconut chips.

    Yeap, mouth party right there.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,616Member Member Posts: 6,616Member Member
    Last night this happened.
    6000191272324.jpg

    plus

    Mina-Harissa_large.jpg?v=1487173740

    plus

    the_smart_oven__64953.1354800389.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on&imbypass=on

    1hour atr 425F covered then 15min uncovered.
    Ate the whole thing with a tahini sauce.
  • can111can111 Posts: 58Member Member Posts: 58Member Member
    You guys are killing me :) where the heck do you all live? I have never heard of:
    Kabocha, celerac, jackfruit, mulukhiyah, dragon fruit, Ottolenghi. Are you sure you aren't making some of this up?
    Where i live there are the basics: carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, greens, asparagus, squash, green beans, snow peas, brussel sprouts, cucumber, bell pepper, spinach, mushroom, turnips, cauliflower, broccoli.
    I like any veg, maybe with exception of turnips, but maybe I just haven't discovered a good way of cooking it! Rock on you good cooks!
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 3,714Member Member Posts: 3,714Member Member
    Speaking of Ottolenghi, I made the easiest recipe I've ever seen from him. The mango ice cream that involves blitzing a tin of mangoes, a tin of coconut cream and juice of a lime or two together in the food processor and bunging the whole thing in the freezer.

    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/06/yotam-ottolenghi-summer-al-fresco-feast-recipes-pork-vindaloo-slaw-mango-ice-cream
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Posts: 1,141Member Member Posts: 1,141Member Member
    can111 wrote: »
    You guys are killing me :) where the heck do you all live? I have never heard of:
    Kabocha, celerac, jackfruit, mulukhiyah, dragon fruit, Ottolenghi. Are you sure you aren't making some of this up?
    Where i live there are the basics: carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, greens, asparagus, squash, green beans, snow peas, brussel sprouts, cucumber, bell pepper, spinach, mushroom, turnips, cauliflower, broccoli.
    I like any veg, maybe with exception of turnips, but maybe I just haven't discovered a good way of cooking it! Rock on you good cooks!

    I found kabocha, dragon fruit, and jack fruit at an Asian market. I bought kabocha because Purple fizzy posts it, I love winter squash and have to try it! I've never heard of mulukhiya, what is it?
  • icemom011icemom011 Posts: 816Member Member Posts: 816Member Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Speaking of Ottolenghi, I made the easiest recipe I've ever seen from him. The mango ice cream that involves blitzing a tin of mangoes, a tin of coconut cream and juice of a lime or two together in the food processor and bunging the whole thing in the freezer.

    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/06/yotam-ottolenghi-summer-al-fresco-feast-recipes-pork-vindaloo-slaw-mango-ice-cream

    We make our own mango ice cream. Very easy, just frozen mango and almond milk as needed, depending on the amount of mango used. It goes into Vitamix and buzz it for a little on medium high until smooth. It comes out like a soft serve, could be frozen, but then it would need to be left out or sit in the fridge for a bit to soften so it's scoopable. So this is vegan version, sometimes we add some fresh mint to it for a minty twist. Adding half a banana makes it even creamier. If you want, any milk could be used, or cream. Depending on how many calories you have left for dessert, lol.
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 3,714Member Member Posts: 3,714Member Member
    There were cheap cherries at the green groceers. Unfortunately they were sold out of globe artichokes. Love the summer for produce goodies.
    qvzk36qaxpol.jpg

  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 11,576Member Member Posts: 11,576Member Member
    Today's fruit: The aprium, an apricot/plum cross analogous to the pluot, but favoring the apricot line somewhat more. Skin is velvety, flavor a bit more tart than an apricot. Also bought some fresh brown figs. Got a good haul at the farmers market earlier in the week, but more pedestrian choices: Eggplant, lemon cucumbers, green bell pepper, a beautifully rich and ripe canteloupe (we mostly call them muskmelon here), lacinato kale, and mixed small vari-colored heirloom cherry/plum/pear tomatoes.

    925chv726cbd.jpg
  • lg013lg013 Posts: 213Member Member Posts: 213Member Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    lg013 wrote: »

    Too much butter in it has always made me feel sick. You just have to whisk it constantly when heating up to avoid a scrambled egg effect. It will thicken up a bit more, but if it’s too think simply add a tiny (less than teaspoon) of water in and mix...keep adding water to get it to the consistency you want.

    I used the technique of @Ig013 to made hollandaise in a ceramic bowl over a saucepan of simmering water on the stove and it was pretty easy. Less cleanup than the the blender method. I melted the butter in the microwave and used 45 g butter with the juice from three quarters of a lemon (that's what I had lying around), a splash of white wine and a shot of green tabasco and whisked in one egg yolk. It was a little bit too acidic for my taste so next time will use less lemon. Will also make it in a bigger bowl next time because manipulting a hot bowl to distribute sauce between little individual serving dishes was fiddly.

    Hooray for artichoke season. I also discovered there is no point in cutting off the top third of the artichoke (as most recipes specify) if your steaming vessel is big enough to fit the whole artichokes.

    lal9gf3i7zhq.jpeg



    Nice! I ate one today! I will try adding white wine in as I haven’t done that before—I should have mentioned I LOVE tobasco and lemon juice (both acid and vinegar make me happy)—my boyfriend also prefers less lemon juice.

    I also usually just spoon it out of the large bowl right away as the pour can be messy. God bless artichokes!
  • lg013lg013 Posts: 213Member Member Posts: 213Member Member
    I made this recipe from MFP:

    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/lemon-coconut-protein-no-bake-bites-recipe/

    Taste like delicious cookies (kinda like a fig newton but better)...they are a perfect pick me up on a tiring day!
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 3,714Member Member Posts: 3,714Member Member
    Harvesting more of the fava shoots.
    zpzrjvko070h.jpg
  • EvamuttEvamutt Posts: 1,556Member Member Posts: 1,556Member Member
    4z2ywhq16uwa.jpg
    I made spaghetti squash in our instant pot but it came out too mushy but it's still good plus there's so much of the cucumber salad I made with those miniature cucumbers we're been having some with every meal. You can eat the skin, had a ground turkey patty with it, it was good
Sign In or Register to comment.