For the love of Produce...

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Produce friends, what kind of vegetables do you like to mix with pasta? I want to do a butter/parmesan pasta mix with vegetables for lunch this week. Thinking of starting with broccoli florets for ease, but want to change it up because I have that a lot.

@RelCanonical Hi!

Oooh butter Parm- how about mushrooms and roasted Brussels sprouts?
    I love baby carrots with anything and butter! And some yellow peppers?

Autumn is imminent- a nice end of season pasta primavera - or I guess it would be called pasta l’autunno ☺️ - maybe some sliced squash, butter and onions!

Saw some awesome recipes here- https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.self.com/gallery/pasta-recipes-with-vegetables/amp

The one with orecchiette, greens, yam and pumpkin seeds look worth a try!

🥬

Oooh, I actually have some brussels sprouts, I'll give that a try. Squash sounds super good too! I love a good spaghetti squash, but any kind is delicious. I'm only avoiding onions because I don't want to smell up the office too much, lol. Thank you for the link!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited September 2019
    Produce friends, what kind of vegetables do you like to mix with pasta? I want to do a butter/parmesan pasta mix with vegetables for lunch this week. Thinking of starting with broccoli florets for ease, but want to change it up because I have that a lot.

Some I like:

Roasted cauliflower and garlic, especially with orzo, maybe add a little grated parm.

Black beans, sweet corn, red peppers, onions with pretty much anything.

Winter squash baked mac & cheese (moderate cheese works, some fromage blanc or plain Greek yogurt or ricotta can be a good add). Fresh sage leaves are a nice flavor touch.

With something thin (angel hair, thin fettuccine) especially soy or edamame and thin: Peanut sauce (peanut butter powder, chile sauce, rice vinegar, optionally other seasonings), either edible-pod peas or regular green peas, and add finely chopped sweet onions raw before serving.

ETA: The peanut version is good cold with maybe less/no chile sauce, maybe a little more vinegar, and thin-sliced cucumber in addition to peas.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited September 2019

@RelCanonical Hi!

Oooh butter Parm- how about mushrooms and roasted Brussels sprouts?
    I love baby carrots with anything and butter! And some yellow peppers?

Autumn is imminent- a nice end of season pasta primavera - or I guess it would be called pasta l’autunno ☺️ - maybe some sliced squash, butter and onions!

Saw some awesome recipes here- https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.self.com/gallery/pasta-recipes-with-vegetables/amp

The one with orecchiette, greens, yam and pumpkin seeds look worth a try!

🥬

Yum! All of your ideas sound good! And I don’t even like pasta. Lol
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member

A Sicilian classic is pasta a la Norma. Tomatoes and aubergine. I do the aubergines in the air fryer.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/jun/16/how-to-cook-the-perfect-pasta-alla-norma

If it is just veg/butter/parmesan I would do roast or stir fried green asparagus.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    i71fnzj47mkk.jpeg
    iboba04bc1vr.jpeg

Also a beautiful box of figs for just £3!! Baked figs and goats cheese and a huge salad with the stunning tomatoes and other bits and pieces I bought on my dinner menu now!

Might have to have some samphire as a starter because I’m not sure it’ll go with the figs too well! 😂

Curious...How big a box of figs was this?...(the amount you paid would be about $4 Canadian). My locale store sells for $1.00 (Cnd) each...ug
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    There’s 10 figs in the box. So that’s 30p per fig. I’d have to check but I think we’d normally pay around £1 per fig here, which is why I snapped up a box when I saw it 😋😋
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Oh I’d definitely usually pay a whole lot more! It must have been a special purchase or someone added a couple of extra zeros on the order form and they needed to shift them fast!

Right place, right time for once - there were only 3 boxes left in the stack when I grabbed mine! 😂
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member

Zucchini ribbons or noodles, spaghetti squash, and roasted or sautéed eggplant.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Kakiage to dip into miso soup and california hand rolls.
    altri23773ek.jpeg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    I finally found okra but it's frozen. Any easy tips on how to make it? I usually roast vegetables when trying them for the first time but am worried about the slime factor. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm hoping this will end up being another veggie I like.
  • Katmary71
    Thank you Tomek! I went through old posts but couldn't find it. I'll try roasting.
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Gotta love farmers markets.

n7pz8nolmkih.jpg

Where is this? I too live in the GTA so would love to know if it’s anywhere near me!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Thank you Tomek! I went through old posts but couldn't find it. I'll try roasting.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43720217#Comment_43720217

Thank you! I don't have an air fryer so I'll try roasting it. Do you make a lot of vegetables in the air fryer? I don't have a convection oven and don't eat a lot of meat so I'm not sure how much I'd use one.

Saw you mentioned roasting radishes, I'm going to make balsamic green beans and will throw a couple on to check it out!
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Kakiage to dip into miso soup and california hand rolls.
    altri23773ek.jpeg

OMG this looks amazing.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Playing with kale last night. Asian very green kale salad topped with miso cod fillet. Love it.

pn7zc1lu5mxa.jpg

Very green indeed! Beautiful and I bet very tasty!!
  • purplefizzy
    Playing with kale last night. Asian very green kale salad topped with miso cod fillet. Love it.

pn7zc1lu5mxa.jpg

Very green indeed! Beautiful and I bet very tasty!!

I try, with kale.
    Oh, how I try.
    One salad remains in my mind, when I legit enjoyed it.
    Spinach I love.
    Kale, man - we have our issues.

I keep trying!
  • purplefizzy

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43720217#Comment_43720217

Thank you! I don't have an air fryer so I'll try roasting it. Do you make a lot of vegetables in the air fryer? I don't have a convection oven and don't eat a lot of meat so I'm not sure how much I'd use one.

Saw you mentioned roasting radishes, I'm going to make balsamic green beans and will throw a couple on to check it out!

Air fryer and me? You must be new here or not read many options expressed by me on the topic of air fryers lol :)

Oven is all you need for any of your baking, roasting, broiling. It might only take 10 minutes longer.

Agreed on the oven.
    But I have really limited kitchen real estate.
    All veg in oven for me.
    Or grill if I can talk someone else into doing the patience-requiring parts. I do not excel at monitoring stuff.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Kale. Vile.

50% the same word. That’s all I have to say!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Hmmm ok, game on! Judging by your food photos and other food related posts I’ll trust your tastes far enough to give it a good shot!

I’m just about to go to the supermarket so I’ll grab a bag of Kale while I’m there. Everything else I have in the kitchen already.

I’ll report back!