For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Hooray. Pomelo's are back in season. If you make this recipe don't bother deep frying the shallots yourself. You can buy them ready made in asian supermarkets. Or just use the ready made deep fried onions from the regular supermarket that people use on Thanksgiving green bean casserole.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut#
    i93wh5etfb7b.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Ditto skip deep frying the peanuts. You can toast roasted peanuts in the same dry skillet used for roasting the coconut flakes.
  • acpgee
    Options
    The regular dried peas which I bought for growing shoots germinated badly. They are being made in Dutch pea soup. Found some old fashioned marrow fat green peas at the health food store so will try planting those on a window sill.
    krt97tdld9yd.jpeg
    zkb1kenq16zb.jpeg

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    What veggie sides are people planning for Christmas? I've got a family member who can't digest brassicas so a lot of classical accompaniments for goose like braised red cabbage and roast brussel sprouts are out. Any seasonal ideas not involving the cabbage family would be welcome.

@acpgee @lemurcat2

I saw these veggie sides and I can’t wait to make them! (I’ll be in Germany for Christmas so I won’t be cooking, but I’ll be making them before then just for fun!)

My fav is the Romanescu “Christmas trees” in Parmesan snow! Haha!!

Next is Parsnip and carrot bake. Then 🇫🇷 haricot verts amandine / almonds, olive oil garlic and lemon..

ks2dsvmz2j72.jpeg
    16e28s9tzuhi.jpeg
    geupoc1aud9o.jpeg

Recipe request? These are stunning.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Completely vegan Buddha bowl. And by bowl I mean a tub. Also made falafel for the first time and leftovers are lunch today. Heaven. Me happy you jelous lol

aqbxkxn9q191.jpg

your 'Meatless Monday' vegan bowl looked yum...but this one you made a while ago is also just so perfect...Monday or Wednesday or Saturday...or..
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,591 Member
    Options
    What veggie sides are people planning for Christmas? I've got a family member who can't digest brassicas so a lot of classical accompaniments for goose like braised red cabbage and roast brussel sprouts are out. Any seasonal ideas not involving the cabbage family would be welcome.

@acpgee @lemurcat2

I saw these veggie sides and I can’t wait to make them! (I’ll be in Germany for Christmas so I won’t be cooking, but I’ll be making them before then just for fun!)

Next is Parsnip and carrot bake. Then 🇫🇷 haricot verts amandine / almonds, olive oil garlic and lemon..

ks2dsvmz2j72.jpeg
    16e28s9tzuhi.jpeg
    geupoc1aud9o.jpeg

Those look so good, I can't decide which I'd want to have first!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    The regular dried peas which I bought for growing shoots germinated badly. They are being made in Dutch pea soup. Found some old fashioned marrow fat green peas at the health food store so will try planting those on a window sill.
    krt97tdld9yd.jpeg
    zkb1kenq16zb.jpeg

I guess the good thing is if the seeds don't germinate they're still something you can use so they don't go to waste! I'm going to try this once Christmas has passed. I broke out an old Aerogarden I was gifted and got it started tonight, wonder if the light is bright enough to put a tray of microgreens next to? I have a grow table I built for heirloom tomato seedlings, might have to clear it off to experiment.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

I guess the good thing is if the seeds don't germinate they're still something you can use so they don't go to waste! I'm going to try this once Christmas has passed. I broke out an old Aerogarden I was gifted and got it started tonight, wonder if the light is bright enough to put a tray of microgreens next to? I have a grow table I built for heirloom tomato seedlings, might have to clear it off to experiment.
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    krt97tdld9yd.jpeg
    zkb1kenq16zb.jpeg

I normally plant dried peas and fava beans sold for cooking for shoots. Cheaper than buying seeds. And a lot cheaper than buying shoots. This was the first batch that didn't germinate well. Don't know if it was because I normally use marrow fat peas (dried in the field and left to mature longer than regular peas). I also only normally plant shoots in summer out on the balcony, so being late in the season might be the problem too.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Last minute decision to hit up the random *kitten* Thursday afternoon farmer's market, yielded a romanesco, a big old beet, some bok choy, a garnet yam and some cilantro, too many heirloom tomatoes and too many strawberries, and stopped at a store and rounded out the haul with some leeks, a small turnip, and an acorn squash. I already have some onions and carrots and zucchini and stuff so tomorrow I'm going to roast a bunch of stuff as prep and I'll be eating bowls through the weekend. Pics as and when!

I have a made up dressing of sun dried tomatoes and walnuts that will dress a couple, and will whip up some others for variety.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

@acpgee @lemurcat2

ks2dsvmz2j72.jpeg
    16e28s9tzuhi.jpeg
    geupoc1aud9o.jpeg

Recipe request? These are stunning.

@purplefizzy thanks!! - I got the recipes here:
    https://www.brit.co/christmas-sides-recipes/

So far - the Romanescu was a hit! Looked pretty too. ☺️
  • Safari_Gal_
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hey produce fam — I’m on Instagram quite often and I’ve been really inspired by some photo blogs for vegetables, recipes, etc — any you follow? 🥬🍇🌾🌿
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    Produce fam! I’m going on winter break early — going to hideout in the Alps for a bit! 🧳 Going to take a break from MFP — this is the thread I will miss the most! You inspire me!!

Have a wonderful Winter! Happy early Christmas and New Year!! See you in January!
    ⛄️
  • acpgee
    Options
    I had to make "vegetable leftover management" soup tonight. I defrosted the roast squash puree I was not crazy about (too sweet). Tonight I generated leftover roast celeriac I wasn't particularly fond of (too stodgy).

Fried off two onion halves found in the fridge (half a red one and half a white one) with a chopped celery stick. Tossed in the vegetables I wasn't crazy about with a half sad tomato found at the bottom of the vegetable drawer. Boiled with a couple of stock cubes. Immersion blended. Tossed in a handful of split lentils and boiled some more.

Then I thought about condiments that would make this mixture palatable to me. Thai red curry paste and lime did the trick. When I serve this soup for lunch tomorrow will use the typical Spanish trick of garnishing with fresh mint for brightening up stodgy soups and stews.

Moral of the story is to think out of the box for "leftover management" vegetable soup. Mustard, horseradish sauce, ranch dressing powder, curry pastes can all make boring leftover pureed veg taste exciting.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I like your name for it! I call it ‘Back of the Fridge Soup’!

Favourite seasonings for me include harissa, curry paste, citrus and miso paste. I’ve usually got some cooked beans hanging around, so they go in too.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,286 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I’m traveling and in dire need of a proper sized salad...
    but was super inspired by a GF crispy buffalo cauliflower app. Seasoned rice flour, oven fried, very small florets for extra crispy goodness. I will be trying this at home.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    Y’all would be proud of me.
    Hotel room produce hacking.

Microwave sweet potato topped with hummus, avocado, some nuts.
    Jicima and carrot raw appetizer served in styrofoam coffee cup.
    Apple and candied ginger dessert.

Definitely not slumming it, your meal sounds amazing! Well, maybe not the styrofoam coffee cup part but the actual meal!