For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Roasted and grilled vegetables are my favourite. I roast courgette, broccoli, parsnip, squash, tomato. i will have to try cabbage. I use the air fryer at 200C which is essentially a small, well insulated convection oven that doesn't heat up the kitchen in summer.

I use this site for timing guidelines
    https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-roast-any-vegetable-101221

For cherry tomatoes I use this easy recipe from River Cafe Simple. You do need to prick each tomato with a fork to prevent explosions.
    https://zabars.typepad.com/recipes/2018/04/recipe-for-slow-roasted-tomatoes-with-thyme.html

For sweet root vegetables I sometimes use a glaze with something sweet (honey, maple or pomegranate syrup) something hot (sriracha, sambal or harissa), something acidic (lemon, lime or vinegar) along the spirit of this recipe
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/harissa-and-maple-roasted-carrots-51255090
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited March 2020
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    The cabbage turned out surprisingly well with my "standard treatment." Took half the cabbage and made wedges about .6" thick. I should have made fewer thicker wedges; next time.

I flipped them over halfway through; hard to keep 'em together. Very interesting combination of crispy and crunchy and savory. I tossed on some garlic and caraway. Maybe I'll cook the other half tomorrow, and two more potatoes. If I want any more caraway, I will have to brave the grocery, so I'll pick a different flavor unless I find a secret stash. I bet I have one. If not... Maybe dill.

6gab1icr2evx.jpg

Wow I need to try cabbage like this! I've never had it cooked but this looks so good.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Another happy veggie roaster here. I don't have much new to add except that

* by experimentation, I've figured out that I like cabbage better roasted in slices vs. wedges (thought it was harder to control the ratio of cooked interior vs. overcrisped edges), usually about 1/2". They don't fall apart when slicing as much as I would've thought. I usually leave the core in, or wait to cut it out after slicing. (The latter because I love eating the raw core, not because it won't roast well :) ).

* I'm a sloppy and imprecise cook, generally. If I'm roasting lots of different veg at the same time, I just start cleaning/cutting with the longer-time-roast ones, throw them on the pan into oven when done, start the next veg. I keep each veg in a separate pan region, not mixed. Then I manage desired doneness on the back end. If I want them all hot at the end, I just put the early-out ones back in for the last 5 minutes to reheat. Lazy, sloppy, lazy. ;)

Sometimes I've tossed a few walnuts in on top of the veggies for the last maybe 10 minutes, since also tasty toasted.

One of my favorite simple meals is roasted cauliflower, orzo (I now use chickpea orzo for the extra protein), with some home-grated parmesan and salt/black pepper on it. Not very colorful ;) , but so satisfying, to me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    @just_Tomek - I like the idea of lining a baking pan with cabbage leaves. I have this crazy idea for stuffing/dressing. Nah. Wouldn't work.

I cooked the other half of the cabbage, but this time with carrots instead of potatoes.

@AnnPT77 - I cut slices rather than wedges, but since it had already been cut in half, I ended up with ribbons. Lots of delicious crispy ribbons!

It looks absolutely AWFUL in the image, but the taste? Well, you can't have any because -- social distancing.

lhu0q8lcwo85.jpg
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    You see awful. I see flavor. Next time make enough for me too, please.
  • mtaratoot

Oh, sorry. I meant the picture looked awful. In person it looked delicious. And it was.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    Cabbage used to be one of the few vegetables I didn't care for aside of in tacos as a kid. I should've known when I fell in love with brussel sprouts that things might've changed! I've been eating red in salads and just bought my first head of green cabbage, a big honker because it needed to be three pounds to get the sale. I'll definitely be checking out this thread for ideas and times to cook it!

@acpgee Thought of you today, there was an Indian grocery store I'd never noticed on the way home from grocery shopping and I dropped in. Finally found dried peas to sprout! I'll probably make something with them too and the black chickpeas. If any of you need dried beans, legumes, or rice this was a small store and there were a couple aisles of it. No rice, bags of beans, and most bean/legume bulk bins were empty at American grocery stores. People are hoarding those $5 bins of spring greens/baby lettuce, spinach, kale, and bagged lettuce too, I got the last two power green mixes and one of the only heads of lettuce.
  • acpgee
    @Katmary71 I am having the same experience with ethnic grocers in London.

For people confronted with empty mainstream supermarket shelves, I am finding the ethnic grocer's still well stocked. Haven't seen toilet paper for two weeks but the Bangladeshi supermarket had facial tissues today.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Oh, sorry. I meant the picture looked awful. In person it looked delicious. And it was.

Yeah, I just can't figure out to do good food photography (and also always forget in the rush to eat). Tomek is great at it.
  • mtaratoot
    @just_Tomek - Thanks. Yeah, super tasty. Needs no sauce, although a splash of balsamic might really make it pop.

This is how I have gained 2.5 pounds the last couple weeks. Well, maybe stress was involved, too. And bagels.

I picked up a couple kind of beets and some sweet potatoes to add to the mix this weekend and next week as well as another head of cabbage and some broccoli. I think the sweet potatoes roast better than the garnet "yams." The waxy potatoes seem to do better than the russets, so maybe I'll just make jacketed potatoes with the russets.

I have a friend in the organic industry, and there's plenty of fresh produce. I don't want to get too much to make sure it doesn't rot, and I am optimistic I'll still be able to buy it in the coming weeks.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited March 2020
    @just_Tomek - I like the idea of lining a baking pan with cabbage leaves. I have this crazy idea for stuffing/dressing. Nah. Wouldn't work.

I cooked the other half of the cabbage, but this time with carrots instead of potatoes.

@AnnPT77 - I cut slices rather than wedges, but since it had already been cut in half, I ended up with ribbons. Lots of delicious crispy ribbons!

It looks absolutely AWFUL in the image, but the taste? Well, you can't have any because -- social distancing.

lhu0q8lcwo85.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!! This looks incredible omg! Did you put anything on it before cooking? You mentioned before just spices?
  • mtaratoot
    @Noreenmarie1234 - Mostly the same basics as anything I have been roasting, but I do switch up some of the spices/seasonings.

Always oil. I don't know why, but I used sunflower on the cabbage. I usually use olive.

Always salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Usually garlic (typically powder so it sticks to the vegetables, but sometimes a bunch of cloves, too).

Always some kind of chile. Smoke cayenne is one of my favorites. Sometimes smoked paprika. Sometimes hot cayenne.

For the cabbage, I added a generous amount of whole caraway seeds. They go really good with cabbage.

For potatoes, I go cut some rosemary from the yard and chop it up and toss it in.

I'm wondering what I might experiment with for the sweet potatoes and garnet "yams". For winter squash, sometimes curry powder.
  • mtaratoot
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Bake sweet potatoes whole then cut, squeeze and make miso butter. Put a spoon on the flesh, let is all melt in.

Just equal amount of miso and butter.

I am pretty sure I've done almost this exact thing or actually EXACTLY this. Umami from the miso. Sweet and starchy from the sweet potato. Fat from the butter. I'd probably add some crushed red chilies.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I'm completely on board with all the miso love showing up in this thread recently, but wish that folks would say what type of miso. Don't be coy, okay? ;)

For me, mostly white miso with the sweet things like Winter squash, sweet potatoes (still a little umami undertone in it), but the darker misos (Hacho, Mugi, dark, red, whatever names - though there are nuances in there) for more of a full-bore umami and rich (non-sweet) experience.

Miso is under-appreciated in the US, IMO.
  • mtaratoot
    I've used red miso for garnet "yams" and white miso for sweet potatoes, unless I'm having a rose wine in which case....

I think the darker miso is going to give you more flavor to stand up to the more dark colored potatoes; you can go either way for the pale fleshed sweet potatoes depending what flavors you want. Or make a blend.

It's ALL good with a Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.
  • acpgee
    I normally just have white miso in the house. One of my favourite uses is roast aubergine. Cut an aubergine in half and score a diamond pattern deeply without penetrating skin. Coat cut side with a half and half mixture of miso and mirin. Bake 25-30 minutes at 200C. The classic recipes contain honey but just mirin is sweet enough for my taste.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    That sounds good, I'll try that when I next get an eggplant.
  • acpgee
    Griddled romaine drizzled with ranch.
    9ue5sz0euzee.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    -Sharing the miso ❤️...
    Also, variously:
    -Roasted carrot soup (not usually into carrots, this was great..) topped with shredded fennel & cilantro.
    -Coconut mastery... (pry, don’t cut..)
    -sexy AF cauli. Roasted for dayz.
    -snack dinner, my style. Hummus, Greek yogurt+tahini+spices ‘dip’, roasted radish (honestly I don’t think I like them raw.. I love roasted or daikon spirals in broth.)
    5pvsk6ofgj30.jpeg
    x5w31grkiyg8.jpeg
    tb5z1wkpo5bi.jpeg
    m2gjtehifnxt.jpeg
    46d372kr050y.jpeg

Love the sexy AF cauli 😉 hehe