What Is Your Biggest Regret?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Not going to med school. I’m only 23 but looks like everyone has their career path already in this metropolitan town.

imho

it only looks like that.

most folks in their 20's are trying to figure things out.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd. But, I don't really have any regrets. Sure, I've made some bad decisions or actions. But, none that I really regret.

To me, every decision or action I've done has made me who I am. Good, bad and quite ugly. Learn from them and move on. Even the shittiest of situations we can learn from and we may be able to find a bright spot so it isn't as bad as it may seem.

Not odd at all. I used to be regretful of things, but realized (like you have) that those decisions, actions and consequences all have led to where I am now. They've been informative, even if some of them were extremely painful in the moment.
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Not going to med school. I’m only 23 but looks like everyone has their career path already in this metropolitan town.

If it's a desire, don't worry about comparing yourself to others. And, if you really don't want to take on that challenge, forget about it & move on. 23 is very young to begin anything.

I've changed professions several times... now over 40, I'll have to do it again, once we're allowed out & about with the masses. I'd rather view it as a new path rather than an obstacle. The latter makes it too hard.

Good luck!
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Now I'm giving it a real go in a fresh environment with fresh voices. Having a clear mind space would only take me so far when I was surrounded by constant, unyielding negativity. I came to this place with the hope I will spend my time with positive people and voices.

Good for you. Seems like you're on the right path. Good luck!
  • GettinLean19
    GettinLean19 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd. But, I don't really have any regrets. Sure, I've made some bad decisions or actions. But, none that I really regret.

To me, every decision or action I've done has made me who I am. Good, bad and quite ugly. Learn from them and move on. Even the shittiest of situations we can learn from and we may be able to find a bright spot so it isn't as bad as it may seem.

Me too. I wouldn’t call myself an optimist necessarily but i can always find an upside when things are bad
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I almost regretted something but then my friend reminded me—-no regerts

Did you know that just one Avocado contains 19mg of Oxalates ?
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Buying Champman Ice cream... a Canadian brand that sux. My fatass still keeps eating though, because it’s better than nothing ...

Regrets because I hate putting calories in my body that I don’t fully ENJOY.

& I’ll keep making that same regret till the tub is done.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Buying Champman Ice cream... a Canadian brand that sux. My fatass still keeps eating though, because it’s better than nothing ...

Regrets because I hate putting calories in my body that I don’t fully ENJOY.

& I’ll keep making that same regret till the tub is done.

You're only a buck 20...Dont call yourself that, you're going to make me worry about you... 💕
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    I think saying you have no regrets is either a semantics thing, meaning you wished you did things differently but dont regret......or a case of you have lived in a bubble your whole life and never did anything outside of your comfort zone or took a chance......or you are flat out lying to look a certain way to compensate for not actually being that way......
  • GettinLean19
    GettinLean19 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    I think saying you have no regrets is either a semantics thing, meaning you wished you did things differently but dont regret......or a case of you have lived in a bubble your whole life and never did anything outside of your comfort zone or took a chance......or you are flat out lying to look a certain way to compensate for not actually being that way......

Ive always dreaded/hated the question because I can’t ever think of anything I regret. Very possible I’ve lived in a bubble though
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Reckoner69_lmao Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

Ive always dreaded/hated the question because I can’t ever think of anything I regret. Very possible I’ve lived in a bubble though

...quite possible that you’re one of those people who view your life as a present-tense thing, and realize that who you are now is how you’ve been shaped by experiences, and maybe you know that 1) changing the past is a futile thought and 2) the grass on the other side of the fence is the same color anyway.

I wouldn’t sweat it. To regret something you gotta spend time looking at it. What’s done is done.
  • bojack5
    Options

...quite possible that you’re one of those people who view your life as a present-tense thing, and realize that who you are now is how you’ve been shaped by experiences, and maybe you know that 1) changing the past is a futile thought and 2) the grass on the other side of the fence is the same color anyway.

I wouldn’t sweat it. To regret something you gotta spend time looking at it. What’s done is done.

Thos who dont examine the past are destined to repeat in the future.
  • bojack5
    Options

As with anything im sure there are outliers that truly have no regrets, its entirely possible that you are one of the few with really no regrets.....
  • bojack5
    edited March 2020
    Options

Think what you will. In hindsight, could I have made better choices at the time? Absolutely. But, you can't go back and undo things. You can't take back words said, or actions done (or not). So, why dwell on them? Make the best of what happened, including apologizing or making amends if necessary, and move forward.

Wishing you did things differently is pointless, IMO. You have no idea what could have happened had things of unfolded differently. Maybe it would have turned out better. Maybe it would have reoccurred at a point later in life. Or, because of those actions, other negatives happened. Could be not as bad, or significantly worse. We have no way of knowing, so why bother? What if, or could've/would've/should've, thoughts more often than not lead to dwelling on subjects.

That being said, there was a time where I had a regret haunt me for years. It took a long time, and conversations with many people to work through it. In doing so, I realized that regretting and dwelling on things is not healthy. Acknowledge the mistake, learn from them, take corrective measures if possible and move on. This doesn't mean that I don't feel remorse for if I did wrong to others.

I do not believe in the fallacy of the predetermined outcome. But i do not think regret is bad, i look at it as an examination of a wrong decision learned from.

I do not agonize or even worry about decisions i have made in the past.....but i can be completly honest when looking at them and say yes, i made a bad decision there....noted....learned something.....all good. And if asked would i have done it different, yes....but fully ok with not have and learning from it. I consider recognizing this as regret and being self aware of flaws.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Options
    I think it is right and just that i feel sorrow over the things I’ve done that have hurt people. It doesn’t mean I dwell. It doesn’t mean I haven’t grown. It does mean that I acknowledge and take responsibility for some things that can’t be repaired.

Other people get to the same place by other roads.
  • bojack5
    Options
    I think it is right and just that i feel sorrow over the things I’ve done that have hurt people. It doesn’t mean I dwell. It doesn’t mean I haven’t grown. It does mean that I acknowledge and take responsibility for some things that can’t be repaired.

Other people get to the same place by other roads.

Yup
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Reckoner69_lmao Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

I’ll take that for every good surprise I’ve ever had