COVID - 19 ... Our New Reality

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This has zero impact on my diet or exercise. I'm eating the same way I've been eating for the past seven years...if anything, my wife and I have been doing some more experimenting with recipes and whatnot since we have more time being home. My normal exercise consists largely of road cycling, mountain biking, and hiking and I continue to do those things...actually I'm doing more than normal since I no longer have a two hour commute and more time in my day.

ETA: if anything, this pandemic is making losing my winter fluff easier than it usually is...I'm not chained to a desk all day...and spring is just gorgeous here and being outside is wonderful. That said, I live in a rural village just outside of Albuquerque with plenty of space and not too many people around in general...I don't know how I would handle being in a large and crowded city. Albuquerque isn't even all that big, but I'm happy as hell I don't live in the city proper. I do have to cross city lines to get my grocery shopping done, but that's it...other than that I'm hunkered down on my property and riding bikes a lot.

Me too! I would say my only struggle with COVID-19 is finding things to do so I don't boredom eat. I love thrift shopping and can't right now, so I have to find other things to do to fill that time. I've also been getting some more exercise as well because of extra time, and it gets me out of the house to hop on my bike and explore town a little. The lighter traffic has made it easier to do so.

My two boys (10 & 7) have me covered on the not getting too bored thing...never a dull moment...lol
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    GoalGal50 wrote: »
    As we are all now affected by COVID-19, how does this sabotage your progress or does it?

A. What are you doing maintain your calorie count?

B. How are you compensating for your normal excercise routine?

C. How many pounds (gained) are you willing to allow yourself in this pandemic?

A. Continuing 2log @thing I eat.
    B. No chg; @thing I need I have @home.
    C. Zero.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No impact. I am still logging/continuing to maintain and making sure I get exercise in, even while working from home. It's a bit easier to get exercise in as I can jump on my exercise bike or treadmill at any time and not have to feel like I am forcing myself to in the evenings after I would normally get home, when I'm more tired. And, our work wellness team has even added virtual work out classes in the mornings 2 days a week that I am taking advantage of.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I've found that between reduced motivation (planned running races canceled) and having everyone at home (homeschooling 3 kids, my job, husband's job) and associated chaos, PLUS general anxiety about the whole situation, I'm doing good to maintain my weight at this point. Which I'm fine with--I was previously within 10 lbs of goal, and within a normal BMI, so I'm counting this time as my "maintenance practice".

A. I'm still doing pretty good at logging, but have skipped a few days or parts of days. I definitely do better when I do log. I'm allowing myself to have up to 2100 calories, which is pretty much maintenance for me, up from 1600 when I was trying to lose 1 lb per week.

B. Exercise has not been affected. I'm still able to keep up with running on our greenways outside, and we have a treadmill at home. I also have a treadmill desk for when I want to get some extra steps in while working. I already have some weightlifting equipment at home, and was doing StrongLifts, but I haven't been as motivated for that lately.

C. I had previously gotten down to a single reading of 135 lbs, but pretty much an avg of 136.6 or so. As long as I can maintain under 140 lbs during this stay-at-home time, I'll consider myself maintaining, and be fine with that. I've been at 139 lb for the past week, which is about 3 lbs up, but stable now.

ETA: I worked from home already, so that part has not changed for me. Also, my 3 kids go to a hybrid school, so they were 2 days at school and 3 days at home, so some of that was the same. But having them home everyday, and also my husband now working from home, has added some chaos and also more "snacking" for some reason.
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Most people life hasn't changed and I feel the exact opposite. I like my office because I can't get food other than what I bring. My husband buys a ton of junk and I fall prey to it 100%. I have what I call control self control. I can do it when I pack lunch, but it just being in front of me is so hard!

1. I'm still trying to meal prep and eat what I know I need to in my calorie counts. It's hard when he drops off a few girl scout cookies at my desk when he wants.
    2. I have started daily burn. Personally I like it.
    3. Don't want to gain any and trying to overcome the need for food. I have to fit into normal pants again at some point.
  • Dunegirl15
    Dunegirl15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks were shaky, but things improved once I created an at-home schedule for me and my 3 year old. I am better with daily structure even if it is artificial.

A. I moved my calorie goal to maintenance for now. The extra calories help when I’m stressed about work at the hospital and keep me from flying off the rails. I don’t need to lose right now, just make it through.

B. Exercise program hasn’t changed much other than timing. Thank goodness for naps and YouTube videos.

C. As for weight, I’m adopting a maintenance range of +/- 5 pounds. If I lose, great. If I gain just a few pounds, no sweat. I can handle that.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    I made a goal to stay at maintenance.

I’d just started recomp last month, so I cut calories back by 20%.

I’m walking or running 2-3x a day, using the extra walk to make up for the two online class per day that are not as challenging, and burning half the calories, I’m used to.

I find it very soothing to hear my usual instructors, and am SO grateful they have pooled together to make the effort. I totally understand they can’t make it more challenging for liability reasons (i.e. goobers at home trying stuff without supervision).

I’m also painting, cleaning, moving, washing, dusting anything that doesn’t sit still, experimenting with new recipes to see just how lo-cal can I go. I’ve finished painting two floors and have two buckets of paint left for the third. After that I may go knocking on doors and begging neighbors “Paint your house? No charge! But stay six feet away!” just to stay sane, in motion, and off my *kitten*.

After frustratingly slow loss since the holidays, I’m down six pounds in less than three weeks. SMH. Didn’t expect that at ALL. I’m a pound from goal today and have to reevaluate. New goal, more chill time, or more food? I’m happy, but it’s just really freaking me out.

I’m worrying all the muscle I’ve worked so hard to build has fled my body in three weeks and I’ll go back to the gym as a quivering mass of jelly.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    1) Been doing this system for 2 years. It would be harder to deviate than to just do what I do.
    2) Still getting it done except strength training which I have yet to compensate for.
    3) If I get sick I wouldn't care if I gained a couple of pounds if the extra food energy helped me get over it faster. Otherwise I see no reason to gain weight right now. If someone I cared about got sick and needed me I would switch to maintenance temporarily but still no reason to gain.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    So far I have maintained my weight and some weeks I have lost. My issue is the weekend with binge drinking out of boredom then with that comes the bad eating. During the week I am controlled and continue exercises through Zoom video conferencing and running. It took me some time to adjust to the new normal. I did go through a bout of anxiety and depression but now I think I have a good handle on it. So I am finally now feeling back to my normal self.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    As we are all now affected by COVID-19, how does this sabotage your progress or does it?

I'm in a fortunate position, in that this isn't a huge change for me. I'm retired, and live alone. I'm lucky enough - in these circumstances - to be an introvert, contented with my own company for loooong stretches of time, with plenty of hobbies, and adequate hobby supplies already. I'm also without immediate family of any sort (so I'm not worried about them), and am not an anxious personality type generally, which is another happy accident.

The only real changes are that I don't have my preferred face-to-face social life; I can't start on-water rowing as usual when the weather eventually warms enough because the rowing club boathouse has closed; my spin class isn't happening; I can't (or won't) go out to certain public places just to have fun; and I'm trying to grocery shop as infrequently as possible rather than once or twice a week (I'm in 2 risk groups, 60+ and also may have very early/mild COPD). Oh, and routine monitoring and tune-up medical appointments are off the table (probably I average 1-2 a month, normally, for various reasons); plus on a similar note my massage therapist isn't practicing.

That stuff is all pretty much "lack of luxuries", not actual problems. The only thing that concerns me is the medical stuff, things that are useful/desirable but not emergency.

I understand and am sympathetic that this is very difficult for many people, and will create major roadblocks.

As far as your questions:

A. Counting, cooking at home (which I mostly do in normal times) and probably staying at my (calorie-banking so slightly sub-true-maintenance) goal more consistently than I was with more eating-out and social options. Since late last fall, I've been working to ultra-slowly lose a few vanity pounds (like a pound a month or less), and the loss rate has picked up a bit since isolating.

B. I'm not conpensating for exercise, at least not sufficiently. Because I eat exercise only when I do it, it makes no short-term difference to weight management. I usually slack off a bit at the end of Winter every year, because I'm tired of machine rowing, and on-water season is coming; this year, it isn't. Spin classes are cancelled, and I haven't replaced them. I'm doing a little machine rowing, and some outdoor walks occasionally (still not great weather here), but I need to be tougher on myself about frequency and consistency, particularly since just (today) getting reports saying my osteopenia has worsened, and it looks like is actual osteoporosis in some areas. Sigh.

C. I don't think gain is going to be a problem, unless something major changes. Without my eating-out meals that usually spend some of my calorie bank, I'm more likely to lose a little faster than I'd prefer, unless I prevent it. (I hope it's not mean or taunting to say that! :grimace: )

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

I live in the epicenter in NYC and everything here has changed for me. My hubby just got over CV and it took the full 14 days.

Everyone is home in our small co-op and there is very little space with so many people.

I plan on counting calories again once I can actually catch my breath and workout again. I ordered some dumbbells and a bench but it's on backorder.

I'm actually maintaining in weight. When I'm stressed I have little to no appetite. But drinking makes up for that haha

I'm in NYC too. The mall I used to go to now is a mobile testing site.

So far I'm working from home. All I hear are ambulances all day, other than that it's eerily quiet. Several of my friends are first responders or in the medical field, so I worry. 2 have CV. I'm glad your husband is recovering.

I've made up for less activity by house or treadmill walking for my 10000 steps. I do Beachbody or YouTube weight training workouts. I just started watching calories again with the goal of maintaining. Every few days I try on my jeans, dresses and work clothes to make sure things are okay.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have never been overweight or really had a problem with over eating.

I lost my job due to covid 19 which was fairly active and am now at home all day and am finding I’m getting so hungry during the day!

When I was working I would just get a small 20 minute break in the day and was never really hungry and was moving around the whole time so never had a chance to snack.

Plus obviously I can’t go to the gym where I used to go 5 times a week and have started home workouts.
    I am just trying to be more mindful of what I’m eating and trying to walk more.

I would be happy to just maintain my weight or even lose a kilo, I may have to adjust my intake as I go. I’m trying to take it one day at a time.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Fewer walks, more time on the glider.

Also, with fitness stores shutting down right now, I'm a little concerned about what to do when I'm ready for heavier dumbbells. The shipping on 80lbs of iron (a pair of 40s) is going to be high. For now, though, I'm ok with the 35s and hopefully by the time it becomes an issue, things will be settled down enough for the stores to reopen.

Look around on E-Bay stores. We got a 60 lb weight vest with $5 shipping. The seller used the postal service's "if it fits it ships" mailing method. They jammed it in a box duct taped the heck out of it.

I saw the same vest from another vendor with $30 shipping charge.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I need heavier dumbbells too. I was hoping I had at least 20# ones, but finally went and got mine out of the garage and the heaviest I have are 15#. I was talking to my sister last night about it, and both of us were wondering if it would be possible to order more or if the shipping cost would be prohibitive. I'd love to have a variety of heavier ones. Will have to look into the options.