3/27/20 244 lbs

March: - 6.2 lbs. :smiley:
  • kmiller2350
    kmiller2350 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Height 5'3"
    SW 210.8
    CW 195.0,

March was chaotic, hectic, stressful as I transitioned into working from home 4 days a week and dealing with the pandemic at home and work. I consider it a success to continue losing weight since snacking is a temptation. I have found that logging my meals on MFP before each meal and even each day is very helpful. I weigh my portions faithfully and am walking at lunch when weather permits.

My fur babies are glad that I am home. There are good and bad things about it, but I refuse to gain weight now. I am planning on seeing my co-workers again in ... a few weeks, ... months? several pounds lighter than before this started.

It's hard to lose weight given the stress we are all facing. I think for many people just maintaining and not gaining is a realistic goal. My goals for April are 5 more pounds, and comfortably fitting my size 16 jeans.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    @kmiller2350: I know all of us will have different responses to this; being controlling by nature, I am getting some of that worked out by diligent control of diet. Others will find it necessary to be gentle with themselves and just go for maintenance for a while. In these crazy times, sometimes all we can do is get ourselves and our families out the other side of the crisis.

I'm certainly having to get used to having Boyfriend working from home. He has a tendency to like to play his music with his office door open. Our musical tastes do not always completely align. And he likes to come out and get chatty at points, and that breaks my focus and distracts me from what I'm doing.

And of course the cats think that he is in his office to pet them and be entertained by their antics. We had to order some cat grass and pots because they have been grazing heavily on his lucky bamboo. It won't hurt them, but the poor thing is looking a little ragged, so I shut it away upstairs in the spare bedroom by the window. If I need to I'll just bring it down to help make his office look nice when we get ready to show the house, and keep it safe from kitties at all other times!
  • kmiller2350
    kmiller2350 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraFindsHerself, We know stress affects people in different wways. Added to that, people are stuck at home with fewer distractions and tough news everywhere. Staying focused on a healthy lifestyle has given the hubs and me something to focus on other than the steady stream of disconcerting news, and I am determined to keep my intake low and get out when I can. Now with weather warning up, my yard will give me plenty of reason to burn calories raking, shoveling, weeding, digging, planting... Many don't have that option, so I get that maintenance is a good goal for now. I

I have a similar challenge regarding distractions while working from home. The hubs is a chatty person, too. I am lucky to have an office door I can close but it doesn't completely solve the problem. While it is frustrating at times, I try to remind myself how lucky I am to be working from home and we are all still healthy.

You are showing your house ... for sale? I am curious about how people are seeing homes now and assume this pandemic has changed the process. Good luck.
    Options
    Well, we're not showing it til the shelter in place order is lifted. But we've had someone in to advise us on staging, and I am doing what he said to do. Things like touchup painting where the wall is scuffed, making sure that I have the closets empty enough to show their capacity, and getting things generally decluttered and prettied up.
  • VeggieMeg71
    VeggieMeg71 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

It's hard to lose weight given the stress we are all facing. I think for many people just maintaining and not gaining is a realistic goal. My goals for April are 5 more pounds, and comfortably fitting my size 16 jeans.

I totally agree! Not gaining is definitely a win in my book! Trying to hold on to as many good habits as possible, but now is not the time to strive for perfection.
  • eppen5
    eppen5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    2020 start Jan 1: 245.2

-12.4 pounds in Jan
    -8.6 pounds in Feb / Weight=224.2 on 2/28/20
    -6.8 pounds in March

3/27/20: 217.4

4/03/20: 216.2

Checking in/weighing in. I was happy to lose a pound this week because I know I'm getting a little sloppier with my eating. We're now in our 4th week of sheltering in place and although I do get out for a 3-4 mile walk every evening, the lack of social stimulation is definitely getting to me. Since we're in NYC I'm keenly aware that social distancing may be keeping us alive right now but it does raise a lot of anxiety and I'm trying hard to find constructive ways of dealing with that. I wish I enjoyed cleaning as much as I enjoy eating!!!

There is one sort of funny positive to all this though. I lost quite a bit weight in Jan-Mar before I really noticed it in how my clothes fit. Then all of a sudden (it seemed like overnight), nothing fit anymore. My pants were falling off my hips and my tops all looked like sacks. Unfortunately none of my "skinny" clothes fit yet either. However, with nowhere to go and nobody to see, I don't really need any clothes other than "go for a walk alone" clothes and my Netflix pj's! So I'm saving all the money I might have needed to spend on clothes if I were actually going to work or out to socialize. Maybe by the time we're set free again I'll be able to fit in the "skinny" wardrobe and I will have skipped over the whole awkward "nothing to wear" phase of this. Anyway, it's one little ray of sunshine right now.

I'd love to hear how you all are actually dealing with food now. Are you cooking more? Cooking healthier? Trying new things? Or are you relying more on prepared foods? We're definitely cooking more but I'm not sure it's really healthier since we have fallen back on comfort foods. For me that means more carbs--something I've was limiting up 'til now.
  • celticck77
    celticck77 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Total March loss: 11 lbs (March finished weight 235)

Apr. 6: 233
    Apr. 14:
    Apr. 21:
    Apr. 28:

I allowed myself a few drinks recently and found that I am bloated in the morning when I weigh in. Oops Either I cannot drink the day before weigh in or stop drinking for now. I do not drink much but enjoy a glass of Whiskey now and again.
    Options
    eppen5 wrote: »
    I'd love to hear how you all are actually dealing with food now. Are you cooking more? Cooking healthier? Trying new things? Or are you relying more on prepared foods? We're definitely cooking more but I'm not sure it's really healthier since we have fallen back on comfort foods. For me that means more carbs--something I've was limiting up 'til now.

Not a lot has changed for us. From November through January, my boyfriend was home and not working. He had weight loss surgery and can't do much in the way of bread and pasta and too much fat, and I can't do most vegetables. Girlfriend can do both the carbs AND the veggies, so she gets both.

So I made a low-carb breakfast casserole weekly that Boyfriend and Girlfriend eat warmed up in the morning (I can give a recipe if desired) and I have my English muffin with butter and sugarfree jam and tea. Ever since I had my kids I cannot eat heavy in the morning.

Then I cook a simple lunch, and what we have for lunch is on a weekly rotation; chicken quesadillas on Monday, hamburgers on Tuesday, chili con carne or ham and beans on Wednesday, pulled pork with bbq sauce on Thursday, Friday is refrigerator cleanout lunch, Saturday is hot dogs, and Sunday is usually various vaguely Mexican-flavored things and beans and cheese rolled into a large tortilla. We call them Mexi-wraps.

Dinner is on a five week rotation. Yes, I plan my menus five weeks ahead. It's very easy and then you don't have to think about it, you can get the meat out to thaw ahead, cut some veggies for tomorrow when you're doing them tonight, etc, and no one says, "Oh, spaghetti AGAIN?!" This week is as follows;
    Tonight was beef marsala with onions and mushrooms, orichette pasta for us girls, and steamed asparagus with butter and cracked black pepper and fleur de sel, and garlic toast.
    Tuesday night is cashew chicken and steamed white rice or cauliflower rice.
    Wednesday night is our special night, and we're doing egg drop soup, hot and sour soup, char sui pork with Chinese mustard to dip it in, vegetable fried rice/cauliflower fried rice, egg rolls, and crab rangoon. And yes I am making it all from scratch. (Well, the crab rangoon filling's made; it makes a vast quantity and freezes nicely. And the egg rolls are left from last time and are in the freezer. I have to make my own because I can't eat cabbage.)
    Thursday night is spaghetti and meatballs, with pan-seared zucchini chunks and garlic bread. He eats his red sauce and meatballs on the zucchini chunks and doesn't miss pasta.
    Friday night is beef hard-shell tacos with Mexican rice and beans. Girlfriend has tooth issues and so she gets soft tacos.
    Saturday night we are having lamb/beef gyros on pita breads with lettuce and tomato and onion and tzatziki sauce, and probably some chips. I need to use up that gyro loaf.
    Sunday night we are having chicken-fried steak with sausage gravy, biscuits, hash browns, and eggs as desired.

But I genuinely adore cooking for an appreciative audience. And a lot of that is sitting in the freezer precooked or with some of the ingredients pre-made. I cook up hamburger with flavorings for tacos and freeze it; it nukes quickly when wanted. The sausage for the gravy is cooked in the freezer. The meatballs were baked in the oven then frozen. Same for the gyro loaf; it makes like meatloaf, and when I rewarm it we'll get two meals out of one loaf. I'm used to hurting far more when I stand, so I've learned to precook and sit a lot during preparing it.

• eppen5
    eppen5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Dinner is on a five week rotation. Yes, I plan my menus five weeks ahead. It's very easy and then you don't have to think about it, you can get the meat out to thaw ahead, cut some veggies for tomorrow when you're doing them tonight, etc, and no one says, "Oh, spaghetti AGAIN?!" This week is as follows;

Wow Alexandra. I cut out your meals from the quote but I am super impressed. Your meals not only sound delicious but there is so much variety. I really don't have any excuse for not being more inspired in my meal planning since I certainly have enough time these days but somehow it still seems to end up being spaghetti or stir-fry most nights. And lunch is usually "open the fridge and stare until something catches my interest". I need to study your plan a little more.
  • celticck77
    celticck77 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great non-scale victory: I fit in a smaller size jeans!!!!! Thankfully I still have three pair. My original jeans in December had gotten so tight I was going to have to go up a size. Instead I went down one!! They are a little snug but that will change as I go. Any other non-scale victories out there?
  • angeloup50
    angeloup50 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Weigh in
    4/7. 201.4

Gained a little since last week. Need to move around more!
  • angeloup50
    angeloup50 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Your meal plan sounds delish. Would you be willing to share the gyro loaf recipe?
    Options
    angeloup50 wrote: »
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Your meal plan sounds delish. Would you be willing to share the gyro loaf recipe?

Here is the gyro loaf recipe. I use lamb and beef for flavor; if you are trying to drop fat, you could sub ground turkey for one or the other.

Two pounds ground lamb
    Two pounds 90/10 ground beef
    2 tablespoons dried diced onion (because it incorporates better, but you could also very finely dice one whole fresh onion)
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary.
    (Or, as I do, you can just add garlic and onion and Penzey's Lamb seasoning, about 3 tsp. per pound of meat.)
    This quantity of meat makes two loaves; if you only want one, halve the quantities.

Run this through the food processor to get a tacky, thick paste, then let it rest covered one hour or up to overnight. Press it into a bread pan, taking care not to leave any air pockets, and bake it in a water bath at 325 degrees, til the meat measures 165 on a meat thermometer.

Take out the pan(s), pour off any fat, and weight the meat down with a brick wrapped in foil or similar weight. I use a second bread pan that nests and two quart jars full of water, myself. Let it cool under weight. Now you can wrap it and freeze it. (This technique also makes meatloaf that doesn't crumble.)

When you want to eat it, thaw it out and slice thin slices. Fry them to get crispy edges. Ghee was suggested, but I do fine on an electric grill with a spray of cooking oil.

Eat in pitas with all the fixin's.

It looks imposing but honestly the taste is worth it, and if you make sure that you have counter space over to one side for it to cool under weight, it won't get in the way of the rest of your life while it does that.
    Options
    eppen5 wrote: »

Wow Alexandra. I cut out your meals from the quote but I am super impressed. Your meals not only sound delicious but there is so much variety. I really don't have any excuse for not being more inspired in my meal planning since I certainly have enough time these days but somehow it still seems to end up being spaghetti or stir-fry most nights. And lunch is usually "open the fridge and stare until something catches my interest". I need to study your plan a little more.

If you would like I can send you a private message detailing how I make the plan.

My first husband liked variety and would. not. eat. the same thing or the same kind of thing in the same week. My five-week meal plans came out of having to cope with that. And I realized, hey, I like variety too!
    Options
    celticck77 wrote: »
    Great non-scale victory: I fit in a smaller size jeans!!!!! Thankfully I still have three pair. My original jeans in December had gotten so tight I was going to have to go up a size. Instead I went down one!! They are a little snug but that will change as I go. Any other non-scale victories out there?

My corset fits well enough I can consider sleeping in it now! I have a ton of loose skin on my front and it would be nice if I could get it shrunk enough to not need as extensive an abdominoplasty when I hit goal weight. Also, I seriously cleaned out my closet last week. I don't have a ton of clothes but then I don't need them, I'm losing weight.

• ladycopnh1
    ladycopnh1 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Apr. 7: 243
    Apr. 14:
    Apr. 21:
    Apr. 28:

Total April loss:
  • ladycopnh1
    ladycopnh1 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight: 271
    Total January loss: -9
    Total February loss: -10
    Total March - 8

Apr. 7: 243
    Apr. 14:
    Apr. 21:
    Apr. 28:

Total April loss:

After A big loss last week I expected to gain this week, It didn't disappoint but I can handle 1pd gain. too many sugar filled ice teas. I've been right out straight working around the house and I have been slacking off on charting my food intake, and by the time I come in for the night my foot is hurting sooooo bad I can't even think of exercising. Does anyone have one of those cubitts ?
  • takera16
    takera16 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Life has been in a complete upheaval since I last checked in. Trying to jump back on the plan but it is hard being alone most of the time. Hope everyone else is doing well and staying healthy!
  • SweetRollz
    SweetRollz Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hello All, 👋
    I'd like to start the challenge! I have a 100 pounds to lose. I'm currently not working due to the Coronavirus and the first week home, I gained 8 pounds LOL, I decided then I was not going to use this as a vacation and instead use it to exercise and better myself.

Start Date: 03/28/2020 287
    Current Weight: 04/08/2020 281