For the men who tell women to smile.....

Options

Replies

• OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    If they want to make me smile they should make me laugh and not just ask for a smile because when I humor them I’m giving them the fakest eat *kitten* smile and I don’t think that’s my most beautiful smile. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Every time this happens to me, I tell them to go eff themselves. I like to be left alone minding my business when out and about.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Options
    Woah. State an opinion on here, and all the disagrees can't have the balls to state thier case...ok then hahahaha.

Why am I not smiling right now?

I didn’t click disagree but i do.

What do you disagree with ?

If i am awake and clearheaded and up for that kind of conversation tomorrow I’ll discuss it with you.

I probably shouldn’t have said anything if I wasn’t up for the conversation but at the time I wanted you to know that not everyone who disagrees is a silent, angry sniper. We can see the same facts and still disagree and still respect other opinions.

So. I am still not up for this conversation. I. Am. Tired. I’m tired of arguing. Especially about things that don’t impact me directly. In hindsight I see I should have stayed out of this thread altogether so I apologize for getting involved.

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I hate when people do this. I can’t smile constantly.
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Reckoner69_lmao Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Well I hope everyone is smiling today
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    It's kind of like 'Hi, how ya doin'. Most don't wait for the answer or not really interested. It's a catchphrase. Smile, though your heart is breaking. I'll never forget a few years back when a loved one of mine died from complications due to WLS, weight loss surgery, while I was at work. I waited until I was in my vehicle and started sobbing my eyes out. I had my windows down for fresh air and a man pulled up beside me and said surely things can't be that bad for me to be crying that hard. I told him it was bad, really bad and I kept bawling for all I was worth. It's a catchphrase and not always helpful. :/
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I have a natural resting b face. I’ve literally always been that way. It’s not that I’m angry, mad, unhappy etc. it’s just how my face is. So I often get those lovely unwanted comments from random men to “smile”. Why do you guys do this? Why can’t a woman just be herself and not expected to walk around with a fake smile on her face? Also do you tell other men to smile as well? If not, why? I’m bored and genuinely curious 🧐

I don't ask someone to smile. But, if they do smile, I will compliment them for it. Depending on who it is, I might say something similar to "You have a great smile. It's a rare treat to see." But, that's not so much for randoms as it would be for someone closer to me.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    It's creepy old dudes I think that would do this

I'm an old dude and I dont do it , I could be creepy though
  • indigoblu74
    indigoblu74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A power frown timed right is everything. Totally underrated.
  • mehshell420
    mehshell420 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I got this all through HS. People telling me to smile more, or "why aren't you smiling", even had a teacher tell my parents I had a 'smug' look on my face. Just because I'm not smiling doesn't mean I'm not happy. 🙄
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a Bill Hicks bit...

"It takes more energy to frown!"

well...

"It takes more energy to point that out to leave me the *kitten* alone"...

I also have one of those faces in which people ask me "what's wrong"...nothing!!! Its just my neutral face ffs.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,623 Member
    Options
    I got this from someone here...and I thought well damn, I do have nice teeth, AND I spent a lot of money making em that way.

I personally feel we get easily offended by the simplest thing. Smile or dont. No one is coming at you cause they said smile more.

Smiling more is good for your health.

Smile people😁
  • PlentyofProtein00
    Options
    I got this from someone here...and I thought well damn, I do have nice teeth, AND I spent a lot of money making em that way.

I personally feel we get easily offended by the simplest thing. Smile or dont. No one is coming at you cause they said smile more.

Smile people😁

Lets see... To the selfie thread!

Wait till the quarantine is over.
  • GrumpySparkles
    GrumpySparkles Posts: 50 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I get this all the time, too. I tell them, "When I see someone worth smiling at, I'll smile". That usually shuts them up while they slink off with a pout.

Occasionally someone will persist anyway, at which point I will say loud enough for everyone around to hear, "I told you I'm not interested, you're so boring!" They leave me alone after that.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    Options

Smile people😁

Lets see... To the selfie thread!

Wait till the quarantine is over.

Lol what quarantine?

The one I've subjected myself to as a form of self love.