For the men who tell women to smile.....

Options
1235»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    This is incredibly annoying and a turn off. My natural face is serious. I can’t constantly smile. I think this is a horrible pick up line because it assumes something is wrong with the person not smiling.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options
    I think I have the opposite problem. I get people asking me what I’m smiling about when I don’t even realize I am. 🤷‍♀️
  • MrAcavano
    MrAcavano Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    For the most part men, especially men of my generation, were raised by women, taught by women, and cared for by women. Since we were babies we have sought the approval of women for our safety and our self worth. It’s a subconscious drive to gain approval that has persisted into adulthood. A smile is a sign of approval and thats why it’s inverse makes men so uncomfortable. I think for the most part this is where the request comes from. Not a need to control or dominate but the need for approval and to abate discomfort. Is that women’s problem? Of course not. Is it pathetic? A little.

Has anyone ever tried responding to a smile request by saying “it’s gonna be alright little guy”. 😀. That might help some men feel better and do some growing up.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options
    MrAcavano wrote: »
    For the most part men, especially men of my generation, were raised by women, taught by women, and cared for by women. Since we were babies we have sought the approval of women for our safety and our self worth. It’s a subconscious drive to gain approval that has persisted into adulthood. A smile is a sign of approval and thats why it’s inverse makes men so uncomfortable. I think for the most part this is where the request comes from. Not a need to control or dominate but the need for approval and to abate discomfort. Is that women’s problem? Of course not. Is it pathetic? A little.

Has anyone ever tried responding to a smile request by saying “it’s gonna be alright little guy”. 😀. That might help some men feel better and do some growing up.

:) it'll be alright little guy

Like that?

Haha...good points.
  • MrAcavano
    MrAcavano Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    MrAcavano wrote: »

:) it'll be alright little guy

Like that?

Haha...good points.

Perfect. I feel better already 😁