Curiosity - resting heart rate

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,585 Member
    Options
    My resting heartrate is 48-50. It's definitely gone down since I lost weight and started exercising. According to my Fitbit I'm in excellent cardio health, I do some form of cardio every day. No clue what my BMI is, I'm 5'4.5 and 122lbs. I was having my blood pressure taken recently and she was more concerned about my pulse rate instead of my blood pressure being high (new problem).
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Mid to high 50s for me last few times I checked my blood pressure at home, I'm 29 (30 next week) and maintaining a BMI that hovers between 22.5-23, I currently work out about 5 days a week - but my resting heart rate was never super high (low-mid 60s) to begin with (highest weight put me around BMI 36, but I was pretty young at the time, too - late teens/20ish)

My blood pressure seems to sit around 110/70, sometimes dips to as low as 90/50ish... funnily enough I have such bad anxiety at doctors tho I always have to mention it because my heartrate and bp shoot through the roof! Like, 130+ beats per minute and almost double my normal blood pressure... yikes
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm an aberration to the rule of people disclosing less than 60 :)

All numbers from Fitbit (where resting heart rate is not the traditional first thing before you get out of bed thing)

Cardio fitness ranges from 50: to 54. Usually 50-52, supposedly pretty ok for my age :smiley:

Weight increasing HR > 66
    Weight stable HR 63 - 65
    Weight decreasing slowly HR <63
    Weight decreasing more rapidly HR <59
    Sick or upset.... 69-70
    Usual range 61 to 69

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    48 yo
    Female
    Bmi 29.9
    Rhr 55-56, but it fluctuates. I'm happy to see lower numbers, like 51, and it will stay there for a few days,then climb into higher 50s again. I think when i sleep well it improves. Also it was lower pre surgery few months ago, but hardly comes down like that anymore. I'm active, cyclist.
    Where do you guys get the cardio fitness score on Fitbit? I use charge 2 with hr, but don't see that score on mine?
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    52 year old male
    BMI of 25
    RHR of 40 over-night according to my smart watch
    Blood pressure of 115/70

I do cardio for an hour pretty much every day, mostly running

Edit to add - some of RHR probably is genetic. My mom is 79 and has never exercised and her RHR is around 60.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    RHR:45(most likely due to low thyroid function) heart holster test done(for other reasons) a year ago confirmed.

BMI: 27

Fitness: heavy weights 5 times a week, run 2-4miles 2-4 times a week, walking minimum 2-3 miles/day, multiple summer fall backpacking trips include 3-4 days at a time of 10-25miles/day.

ETA:

BP: 110/70
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    BMI is 23ish, rhr usually around 48. I just took it lying flat on my back after a nap and it’s 42 right now. I’m a runner and also a little hypothyroid which also lowers it.

When I was obese, with vasculitis issues caused by lupus, it was sometimes over 100, which is really uncomfortable, since your brain gets biofeedback from your heart rate and decides that if your heart rate is that high you must be running from a bear or something - trying to sleep with my heart rate that high I would constantly wake up from nightmares. I read an article recently about people who are afraid of public speaking, and by taking beta blockers which lower their heart rate, they don’t feel anxious when speaking. So the biofeedback can go both directions - if you are anxious it raises your heart rate, and if your heart rate is high it makes you anxious!

I have noticed that my heart rate is usually the first sign when I have a fever or am about to come down with something. The only problem is, if you tell a doctor, “Oh, and my heart rate has been elevated for a couple of days - it’s 60!” they will look at you like you are insane.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I must admit that I am surprised by many people here having RHR's that have them at elite athlete kind of level (under 60).

Me:
    48 yo female
    BMI 19
    RHR according to Fitbit 64-67
    @Lillymoo01
    There tends to be a bit of selection bias in these RHR threads where more people with low RHR will respond and people in the normal range will be less likely to.

Personal experience is that I used to think of low 60's as being an indicator of "good for me" fitness levels when I regarded myself as being quite aerobically fit (but 30lbs overweight). Playing squash several times a week plus strength training. 65bpm and over if life and work interfered and my exercise volume and fitness level dropped.

Then in my 50's I lost the excess weight and took up endurance cardio (cycling) and dropped 20% with 48bpm becoming my usual RHR.

What's your BMI and fitness level? - BMI around 25 and in the upper portion of excellent aerobic range for my elderly age demographic (60 YO)
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    BMI 19
    RHR 44
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I am surprised by many people here having RHR's that have them at elite athlete kind of level (under 60).

Me:
    48 yo female
    BMI 19

I agree with what @sijomial said about selection bias in this thread, i.e., that those with "better" RHR may be more likely to report in.

I also think the idea that only elites have RHR under 60 is a little overblown.

Most community stats (i.e. general population research) seem likely to include only a small number of dedicated recreational athletes who do reasonably-large volume cardiovascular workouts regularly, let alone formal training (that targets things like improved CV response quite specifically).

Even at the doctor's office (where I've usually dashed in after running late, and they check my HR immediately 🙄), they often read me at 60, and it passes completely without comment or discussion. When I set off the bradycardia alarms at the outpatient surgery center (HR < 50), the staff were unperturbed (except by the need to keep responding to the beeping monitor when it happened again), so I suspect it happens with moderate frequency among people who don't have "problem" bradycardia.

HR range is also IMU quite genetics influenced (though consistent activity can lower RHR, of course). Those genetically on the low end, who work out or even train, might well hit 40s/50s at quite sub-elite levels. (<= speculation, not facts).

Personally, I reported earlier at high 40s/low 50s. I'm being less active in this isolation period, and am running RHR mid 50s, sometimes even high 50s some days. (I'm still around BMI 22 now, 131.4 at 5'5" so BMI 29.1 this morning, and age 64.)

Like @PAV8888, my RHR trends up in periods of over-maintenance eating, and in my case a bit higher after meaningful alcohol consumption, like a couple of glasses of wine the night before; then it comes back down into whatever my then-baseline rates are once my routine returns to normal.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Male, 56
    RHR 57 (Not an elite athlete, just a heart attack survivor.)
    BMI 26.4 and steadily dropping.
  • vkrenz
    vkrenz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Female, 55
    BMI 36
    12/26/19, when I got my fitbit- RHR was 65 average
    lost 34 pounds since then
    RHR 61 average now
    I walk everyday at a very brisk to very, very brisk pace and always get at least 15,000 steps to 20,000
    I do body weight exercises every evening

I feel ALOT fitter and stronger since the beginning of the year.

I am wondering what is better? I know for cardio heart health a low resting rate is better. What other opinions do folks have? My goal is losing more weight. I have 46 pounds to go at least
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Me:
    48 yo female
    BMI 19

I agree with what @sijomial said about selection bias in this thread, i.e., that those with "better" RHR may be more likely to report in.

I also think the idea that only elites have RHR under 60 is a little overblown.

Most community stats (i.e. general population research) seem likely to include only a small number of dedicated recreational athletes who do reasonably-large volume cardiovascular workouts regularly, let alone formal training (that targets things like improved CV response quite specifically).

Even at the doctor's office (where I've usually dashed in after running late, and they check my HR immediately 🙄), they often read me at 60, and it passes completely without comment or discussion. When I set off the bradycardia alarms at the outpatient surgery center (HR < 50), the staff were unperturbed (except by the need to keep responding to the beeping monitor when it happened again), so I suspect it happens with moderate frequency among people who don't have "problem" bradycardia.

HR range is also IMU quite genetics influenced (though consistent activity can lower RHR, of course). Those genetically on the low end, who work out or even train, might well hit 40s/50s at quite sub-elite levels. (<= speculation, not facts).

Personally, I reported earlier at high 40s/low 50s. I'm being less active in this isolation period, and am running RHR mid 50s, sometimes even high 50s some days. (I'm still around BMI 22 now, 131.4 at 5'5" so BMI 29.1 this morning, and age 64.)

Like @PAV8888, my RHR trends up in periods of over-maintenance eating, and in my case a bit higher after meaningful alcohol consumption, like a couple of glasses of wine the night before; then it comes back down into whatever my then-baseline rates are once my routine returns to normal.

Self-selection bias may be one of the keys, but I think the other is exercise. My RHR on day 1 of my diet was 84 but that was the absolute minimum and it wasn't unusual for my HR to be over 100 or even 120 with any involvement of stress, alcohol, caffeine, or light, normal physical activity, like carrying groceries or going up a few stairs. It's a main reason I got started in the first place - couldn't stand being so out of shape and felt exhausted from the simplest physical tasks.

My RHR plummeted from 84 to around 70 within a few weeks of starting cardio, even when I was still well over 300 lbs. So it wasn't particularly weight related; I'd lost maybe 5 or 6 lbs when my RHR initially plummeted. More interestingly, perhaps, in January this year due to travel and then illness I had 2-3 weeks when I couldn't work out & my RHR, now in the mid 50's climbed back up to mid 60's. Within days of starting cardio again, it settled back down in the mid 50's. So apparently, at least with my body, RHR is highly contingent on regular exercise and adapts quickly to whether I'm doing it or not - 1 or 2 weeks.

So, I'm as sure as everyone else that losing weight brings RHR gains, but I think consistent cardio is where the huge upside is for RHR improvement, at least in my case.

It has been interesting to see all the people here whose RHR is below 60, in fact well below 60. When I first took my pulse at night and saw numbers like 52, 54, etc., it scared the s***t out of me - bradycardia, as any website would tell you. But of course, as anyone can see in this thread, losing weight and regularly exercising make 60 a meaningless metric. I don't know where some cutoff would be where it's time to check in with the doctor, but if you're dieting and working out, probably 40 ish I imagine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »

Self-selection bias may be one of the keys, but I think the other is exercise.

(snip)

So, I'm as sure as everyone else that losing weight brings RHR gains, but I think consistent cardio is where the huge upside is for RHR improvement, at least in my case.

(snip)

Oh, absolutely. I didn't think that was even a question. :)

Training (exercise) works. Lowering heart rate is an accepted, standard example of a training effect, both lower RHR, and lower rate for any given exercise intensity.

My RHR was already low when I was obese, because I was very active. I didn't start paying attention at the beginning of becoming routinely active (in my mid-40s), but I was still improving fitness when I did start paying attention (using first-thing-in-AM readings from an old Polar HRM, at first), and definitely saw a gradual drop as fitness increased, without any weight loss happening at all. It was a meaningful indicator for me, at times when I was actually training (not just being active, but doing a periodized training program). I stayed obese for a decade while very active, and often saw AM RHR in mid-40s to low-50s at a class 1 obese BMI.

My RHR didn't drop more, at least not appreciably more, from weight loss.

My point was that you can see improvements (from weight loss, exercise or both), down below 60 even, without being elite - that <60 being an indicator of elite fitness is kind of unrealistic. Those numbers are achievable at much less than elite fitness levels. At the same time, if someone's HR range genetically happens to run high, they might be quite fit, but with RHR over 60. Changes in RHR with fitness increase are probably more meaningful, in that way, than absolute RHR.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

(snip)

(snip)

Training (exercise) works. Lowering heart rate is an accepted, standard example of a training effect, both lower RHR, and lower rate for any given exercise intensity.

My RHR was already low when I was obese, because I was very active. I didn't start paying attention at the beginning of becoming routinely active (in my mid-40s), but I was still improving fitness when I did start paying attention (using first-thing-in-AM readings from an old Polar HRM, at first), and definitely saw a gradual drop as fitness increased, without any weight loss happening at all. It was a meaningful indicator for me, at times when I was actually training (not just being active, but doing a periodized training program). I stayed obese for a decade while very active, and often saw AM RHR in mid-40s to low-50s at a class 1 obese BMI.

My point was that you can see improvements (from weight loss, exercise or both), down below 60 even, without being elite - that <60 being an indicator of elite fitness is kind of unrealistic. Those numbers are achievable at much less than elite fitness levels. At the same time, if someone's HR range genetically happens to run high, they might be quite fit, but with RHR over 60. Changes in RHR with fitness increase are probably more meaningful, in that way, than absolute RHR.

Is there where I should add that I am a high cardio person, like average over 20,000 steps a day level of exercise and still my RHR according to my Fitbit is higher than 60? Shrugs. I know I am fit and healthy and that is more important anyway.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the mid 80's per my fitbit. From actually taking my pulse without the fitbit, I think it is closer to the high 70's to 80bpm.

Back when my thyroid disease was untreated, it was in the 40s.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I always thought that my RHR was normally high. Before the advent of activity trackers, I never really paid attention to my RHR. It was something that I would maybe check randomly and just rely on whatever it was during my annual physicals or regular doctor visits.

So, I had my quarterly doctor visit yesterday. Pulse was 72 which has always been in that range whenever I see the doctor. Incidentally, my blood pressure was unusually low.
  • lilac12321
    lilac12321 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BMI 21ish
    RHR 50
    I’m an athletic 26 year old girl.
  • thecleanerleon
    thecleanerleon Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    M/33/188cm/90kg/BMI 25.4

Average resting HR 54, drops to 40's at times, recorded with a polar chest hrm.

Currently also trying to establish my heart rate variability (HRV) with EliteHRV and the polar hrm, need to build a baseline, and then it can help inform when to rest. Early tests have me at around 60 HRV score.

My goal is to be back down to around 80kg where I should see all vitals improve
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

(snip)

(snip)

Is there where I should add that I am a high cardio person, like average over 20,000 steps a day level of exercise and still my RHR according to my Fitbit is higher than 60? Shrugs. I know I am fit and healthy and that is more important anyway.

I do not know that much about this stuff. I assume that mine being 47 is only a good sign because it was 55 before significant weight loss and activity improvement. I would think the same thing if it was 75 and now 67.