I need help, I will starve myself before I let myself back slide.

13»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I'm just going to link this article one more time - Beths_Angels, take a minute to read this -

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

I had a read of it when it was first posted but your not getting what i'm trying to say. What I get from that is do all what I am doing but don't weigh myself cos they can lie. NO how to do it, no why 1200 is bad, no how much exercise. Your telling me that i'm doing everything wrong and not telling me what to do to fix it.

Okay, sorry.

Here's a great thread from the stickies:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

..and...
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

AAMOF, read all those sticky posts (the ones that say Most Helpful at the top of each forum.) Here's the list from General Health and Fitness:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    "MFP gave you that calorie goal with the intention that you would also eat back the additional calories you're burning through exercise. "

Does it matter that much if i'm only losing 2 pounds a week, I can't be that under if i'm not losing more than that can I.

Only?!? Hun, you really need to sit down and think of what you're doing. 2lbs per week is the absolute maximum, and that is for seriously obese people, not for people who are overweight. You seem to have some serious disordered thinking about food. I would consider talking to your GP about it and seek help.

I really am trying to do it healthy that's why I was aiming for 2 pounds a weeks. All the youtubers and bloggers said 2 pounds was healthy so I thought that was what i should be doing, same with the 1200 cal limit. I thought I was doing it right. I asked my GP about it when I started and they gave me a booklet that said my BMI was too high and lose weight. Its hard to get information that isn't conflicted or just saying lose weight with no information of how.

Don't get your information from blogs and youtube. People lie about weightloss, and people promote unhealthy things. 2lbs per week is by no means healthy for your weight. And 1200 calories is too little for small children. You need to eat more and adjust your expectations.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,034 Member
    edited April 2020
    As for how much exercise: that really is up to you :smile:
    But the idea is that you aim for the same deficit (see guideline) whether or not you exercise. So you should eat more on days you exercise because you are burning more calories. For example: I eat around 1800 calories on days when I don't exercise, which gives me a 275kcal deficit. On days when I run, I usually burn about 500 calories more, so I will eat 2300 calories those days to reach that same deficit of 275calories a day (which amounts to 0.25kg weight loss per week, the weight loss rate I have selected). The tricky part is estimating how many calories you burn while exercising.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I'm just going to link this article one more time - Beths_Angels, take a minute to read this -

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

I had a read of it when it was first posted but your not getting what i'm trying to say. What I get from that is do all what I am doing but don't weigh myself cos they can lie. NO how to do it, no why 1200 is bad, no how much exercise. Your telling me that i'm doing everything wrong and not telling me what to do to fix it.

If you are currently overweight you need to set MFP to lose 1 pound per week. Eat that calorie goal plus a portion of your exercise calories. You should not only weigh all your food on a food scale but also make sure that you verify the MFP entries you use against a nutrition label or the USDA site. Also, make sure you do not miss any calories like cooking sprays, condiments, and supplements. You may not have to record everything forever but you should for a short time to make sure your calories are as accurate as they can be. Then if you do not see the value in counting mustard you can decide to skip it.

Trust the process daily. Trust the bathroom scale occasionally.
  • Beths_Angels
    Beths_Angels Posts: 19 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

If you are currently overweight you need to set MFP to lose 1 pound per week. Eat that calorie goal plus a portion of your exercise calories. You should not only weigh all your food on a food scale but also make sure that you verify the MFP entries you use against a nutrition label or the USDA site. Also, make sure you do not miss any calories like cooking sprays, condiments, and supplements. You may not have to record everything forever but you should for a short time to make sure your calories are as accurate as they can be. Then if you do not see the value in counting mustard you can decide to skip it.

I have a few bits to read but its been surprising hard to get information, not cos information is out there but more there is too much of it and alot of lies. I'm doing my best to go the healthy way cos in my younger days I wouldn't and it wouldn't last. This time i'm going healthy without being hungry. I think thats why I didn't pick up on the eating more cos I just didn't feel hungry. Drinking water for the first time in 30 plus years kinda helped with that.

If you look on the first page it has a week by week breakdown of my weight. I started at 13,11 and obese and am down to what was 12,4 but the water weight pushed that to 12,8. So overweight now but was obses when i started.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I have a few bits to read but its been surprising hard to get information, not cos information is out there but more there is too much of it and alot of lies. I'm doing my best to go the healthy way cos in my younger days I wouldn't and it wouldn't last. This time i'm going healthy without being hungry. I think thats why I didn't pick up on the eating more cos I just didn't feel hungry. Drinking water for the first time in 30 plus years kinda helped with that.

If you look on the first page it has a week by week breakdown of my weight. I started at 13,11 and obese and am down to what was 12,4 but the water weight pushed that to 12,8. So overweight now but was obses when i started.

I did look at it. I even ran your rate of loss which came to a little over 2 pounds per week which was a little fast for someone already close to the overweight category. It is definitely time to slow that down now and shoot for 1.

There is a lot of misleading information out there. There is a lot of money to be made if you can convince enough people there is a shortcut or trick to losing weight. For the most part if it is new and innovative it is garbage. If it points to a rat study it may be good if you have a pet rat that needs to lose but, at best, unproven if it can work for you. Losing weight comes down to eating less and moving more but that is not really sexy enough for most blogs and websites.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    I was going to tell you it's likely water weight due to muscle repair from your new workout, but I see you found that on your own. :) If it makes you feel better, anytime my muscles hurt from a new exercise, my scale stops moving for awhile. It eventually drops again when my body gets used to the exercise.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    "MFP gave you that calorie goal with the intention that you would also eat back the additional calories you're burning through exercise. "

Does it matter that much if i'm only losing 2 pounds a week, I can't be that under if i'm not losing more than that can I.

Only?!? Hun, you really need to sit down and think of what you're doing. 2lbs per week is the absolute maximum, and that is for seriously obese people, not for people who are overweight. You seem to have some serious disordered thinking about food. I would consider talking to your GP about it and seek help.

Echo this