What's on your mind?

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Realizing that dying my hair may no longer be an option. I'm in my mid-thirties and have been having increasingly more gray/silver hairs pop up since I turned 30. Those hairs are 100% resistant to ALL dyes, even permanent ones.

Can a person more savvy than I am about the ways and biology of hair explain to me why this is? Even my non-gray hair is very resistant to dye now. It will color, but even if it's "permanent" dye, it slides off the hair follicle in like.. two weeks.

To be clear, I'm not concerned about "going gray". I just accept that it's gonna happen, but I'm a bit bummed about not being able to play with color anymore. It's become a waste of money and time. :(

Are you using box dyes at home? Do you dye more often than once every 6-8 wks? If so, you have probably blown the cuticles and the hair will not hold the color. It will basically just bleed and wash out. It's probably best to not color, keep it trimmed and let your hair heal for a while. Maybe try a couple of conditioning treatments to help smooth the cuticles again.

I have used box dyes, vegetable dyes in bottles and have had my hair professionally dyed (which was a gorgeous red). Doesn't seem to matter what I do anymore.

And 6 - 8 weeks? Yikes, I dye my hair maybe once every 6 months? Haven't for a year now because the color fades so fast or doesn't take like it used to.

What kind of conditioning treatments would you suggest? Do you think doing a clarifying shampoo/conditioner say once a month would help at all?
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Realizing that dying my hair may no longer be an option. I'm in my mid-thirties and have been having increasingly more gray/silver hairs pop up since I turned 30. Those hairs are 100% resistant to ALL dyes, even permanent ones.

Can a person more savvy than I am about the ways and biology of hair explain to me why this is? Even my non-gray hair is very resistant to dye now. It will color, but even if it's "permanent" dye, it slides off the hair follicle in like.. two weeks.

To be clear, I'm not concerned about "going gray". I just accept that it's gonna happen, but I'm a bit bummed about not being able to play with color anymore. It's become a waste of money and time. :(

Are you using box dyes at home? Do you dye more often than once every 6-8 wks? If so, you have probably blown the cuticles and the hair will not hold the color. It will basically just bleed and wash out. It's probably best to not color, keep it trimmed and let your hair heal for a while. Maybe try a couple of conditioning treatments to help smooth the cuticles again.

Thank you - I’m having similar issues

Yeah, It's very frustrating. I had a stylist do this to my hair twice by using the wrong developer. I couldn't have my color fixed for like 3 months. Conditioning treatments really help.
  • KosmosKitten

Pretty much why I started bleaching 😬

Hey, if I thought my hair could handle it, I'd totally rock platinum silver or like really light lavender.
  • GymGoddessGoals

I have used box dyes, vegetable dyes in bottles and have had my hair professionally dyed (which was a gorgeous red). Doesn't seem to matter what I do anymore.

And 6 - 8 weeks? Yikes, I dye my hair maybe once every 6 months? Haven't for a year now because the color fades so fast or doesn't take like it used to.

What kind of conditioning treatments would you suggest? Do you think doing a clarifying shampoo/conditioner say once a month would help at all?

IDK if you are only dying once every 6 months, do you have oily hair? How often do you shampoo?

https://ulta.com/oil-control-shampoo-with-nettle?productId=xlsImpprod14811397
    This is a good shampoo for oily hair. My daughter uses it pretty regularly. They have a really good dry shampoo also.

I can recommend a couple of conditioning treatments at different price points.
    https://ulta.com/keratin-healing-oil-intensive-hair-masque?productId=xlsImpprod18081015
    This is the one I use but it's also the most expensive.

https://ulta.com/nourishing-repairing-3-in-1-mask?productId=pimprod2015314&sku=2563012&_requestid=5264234

https://ulta.com/raw-shea-butter-deep-treatment-masque?productId=xlsImpprod16681015

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

Hey, if I thought my hair could handle it, I'd totally rock platinum silver or like really light lavender.

I think you'd rock both.. but I see you with Lavender🙂
    Fortunately for me my daughter is a hairdresser or I'd probably be bald 😃
  • KosmosKitten

IDK if you are only dying once every 6 months, do you have oily hair? How often do you shampoo?

This is a good shampoo for oily hair. My daughter uses it pretty regularly. They have a really good dry shampoo also.

https://ulta.com/keratin-healing-oil-intensive-hair-masque?productId=xlsImpprod18081015

https://ulta.com/nourishing-repairing-3-in-1-mask?productId=pimprod2015314&sku=2563012&_requestid=5264234

https://ulta.com/raw-shea-butter-deep-treatment-masque?productId=xlsImpprod16681015

Yeah, my hair gets oily fairly quickly. I shampoo every third day and usually condition once a week otherwise it feels just.. ugh. I can't tolerate how it feels when I don't. I'll give these a try and see how they do.

Thank you for the suggestions!
  • KosmosKitten

I think you'd rock both.. but I see you with Lavender🙂
    Fortunately for me my daughter is a hairdresser or I'd probably be bald 😃

:lol:

Sadly, all my hairdresser family/friends live several states away, otherwise I'd pay one of them to do it. Too hard to process my hair to that level of blond/platinum to do that on my own. I'd end up bald, also. :lol:
  • GymGoddessGoals

Yeah, my hair gets oily fairly quickly. I shampoo every third day and usually condition once a week otherwise it feels just.. ugh. I can't tolerate how it feels when I don't. I'll give these a try and see how they do.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Yeah, if your hair is really oily you may try that shampoo and wash your hair a little more often and see if that helps the oil build up. This is most likely the cause for the color retention. If you need a recommendation for another clarifying shampoo at a different price point let me know.
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    I'm struggling trying to keep my daughter's wedding moving. We still have time (wedding is June 26th) but it's seriously breaking my heart that she may not have the wedding that she wants.

I hope you can pull Hera off. My bff just finished cancelling her daughter’s wedding which was also in June. She actually didn’t lose all of her deposits. She got lucky. Good luck!
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    edited April 2020
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    Because it’s throwback thursday,
    Simpler times, grandfather and I in downtown Hot Springs, AR in 1966.

f9kbazb75jg5.jpeg

great photo M! what a lovely memory <3
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    ANZAC day
    Thank you to all those who suffered and lost their lives for freedom. ❤️

jch0imhuojsf.jpeg

Absolutely this.. 🙂
  • mommabear4315
    I wonder how hot is it going to be tomorrow and how much yard work I can do?
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    I feel sure we’ve been lied to.
    I resent it and it makes me unbelievably angry. 😡🤬
  • mommabear4315

Well I see it as if we we were lied at least I got to spend some quality time with my family. I do so much needed. So out of the darkness there is some light. Our family had bonded closer together. We have also all become alcoholics rofl!!!!
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member

Well I see it as if we we were lied at least I got to spend some quality time with my family. I do so much needed. So out of the darkness there is some light. Our family had bonded closer together. We have also all become alcoholics rofl!!!!

Alcoholics - true story
  • mommabear4315
    cowsfan12 wrote: »

Alcoholics - true story

Sooooo TRUE STORY!!!!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2020
    That i'm ready to leave work for the day. It was a LONG boring day!

Me, too! 9 more minutes.