The significant other

Options

Replies

• andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If he's calling you a party pooper, that's like putting a guilt trip on you. Although I bet he doesn't mean to do this, appealing to a person's emotions to override a logical decision she has made for herself is along the lines of manipulation. Maybe bring up the point to him that you really want to be healthy and that it is very important to you. Ask him for his support directly.

Or, maybe turn the tables and appeal to his emotion -- maybe have a little fun and center in on his ego a little bit. Play up how he would be such a strong support, a hero protecting you from sugar temptations.... or maybe a competition (who can eat healthier on your day off together) ...but perhaps by advising you to appeal to his ego, I'm encouraging a little manipulation on your part. hmmm ..... :D
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Ladies the average man lives to be 75 and a woman lives to be 80. Unfortunately, men do not eat right or go to the doctor. I almost fell in the same trap but made a lifestyle change and lost 50 pounds. Be an example for your family and let your significant other eat whatever they want. Sad but true.

The truth is most men are insecure about their women looking fit and healthy afraid you might find someone else.

It may sound cold but put yourself first and get healthy. It's a great feeling!!

• AmazingStace
    AmazingStace Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My DH is so supportive, and he does encourage me on this journey. He isn't a picky eater, so I'm fortunate there. He has lost 15 pounds this last month without even trying, just by cutting out the fast food and eating a healthy supper because I'm cooking. He still drink his regular Mt. Dew, and he can eat pretty much anything he wants. It's frustrating sometimes. Like yesterday we went to a college football game, and he ate 3 hot dogs, a pretzel and drank regular pop. It was really hard for me to stick with one hot dog and water and then part of a pretzel. But I did it. I don't think he's eating in front of me like that to be mean. He was just that hungry. But I'm really happy he's supportive and on the "health" train with me.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    No S.O. but my worst enemy is my friends when I am out... but my secret weapon is Shakeology... I am not pushing it but it is only 140 calories for a serving and if I get sucked into eating something unhealthy that is loaded with calories I will have a day of 2 shakes instead of my normal one. Obviously I don't want to do that every day but every once in a while it is ok. Beyond that if I have a calorie blowout I just workout longer. If you do a workout that burns 600 calories then you should be ok with that additional 600 that you ate.
  • Katie3784
    Options
    Ugh, I get so frustrated by people who are so against eating well. While my hubby does not exercise or eat really consciously, he loves eating what I make for dinner, and he is actually the one who introduced veggies to me three years ago. I have trouble understanding people who do not work out and who eat junk all the time. I just could not imagine how crappy I'd feel if I lived that way, but I guess you can get used to eat. He needs to grow up and be more supportive of you.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bahaha. Well, my s/o isn't overweight technically and is in pretty good shape, but works out every other day and eats whatever he wants to. He's extremely supportive of my attempt to get healthier - if not, I don't know WHAT I'd do. All I know is that he can be a really bad influence but it's not his fault, it's MINE.
  • Taintedkitten
    Options
    Me and my partner are like this.

I find that if he wants to eat out for lunch or whatever, I'll take the healthier choices. So far this is working. He knows I'm doing this and is supporting me 100%. I'm very lucky he's being supportive, even to the point of hearing me talk about how many calories is in my servings! Haha. Or if I have some calories left, sometimes I will splurge (but not go over) with something a little bit naughty (but not too naughty!).

I cook dinner, and he'll eat anything put in front of him. He'll just have bigger portions if he feels like it. I usually cook enough for 2-3 days at a time as it works out more cost effective and just eat what I know I'm allowed. So I'm fortunate he will eat whatever I eat, though usually just more of it. He's got a very exercise intensive job involving a lot of heavy lifting and such so he can eat these things and still lose weight. He also works between 9-14 hours a day, so he burns a lot of calories.

Mind I guess it's easy for me because beforehand I was essentially starving myself, then eating like one or two big meals a day, which we know is not conducive for weight loss. With these calories I'm hardly ever really hungry. Sometimes I wonder how I'll eat them all!

Part of the reason I put on this weight though, aside from my injury, is because when we were going out, he had a lot of junk food so I just followed spending so much time with him and it became a habit. I have stopped this now. He's actually grateful (saving money in the long run also!).
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Since I do most of the cooking she doesn't have much choice :-D

Yup, If he doesn't like whats for dinner, he's free to makes something else.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Since I do most of the cooking she doesn't have much choice :-D

Same here, but my hubby usually has seconds and I don't. I cook healthy for everyone, 90% of the time, and sometimes we have a fun meal. :)
  • sharonus
    Options
    My husband used to complain when I asked if I could go downstairs to use the treadmill. One day, I asked him to give me his hand and I held it and said, "I would just like to thank you for being so supportive." I said it as if I was being serious, and he got my point. After that, I tried to make sure I got home from work a little earlier so that he wasn't the only ones with the kids until late, I skipped some workout days if it would force him to do the entire bedtime routine with the kids, etc. It obviously depends on your situation, but I did try to make sure I was focusing on how it affected him and tried to do what I could to minimize that.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I get so frustrated by people who are so against eating well. While my hubby does not exercise or eat really consciously, he loves eating what I make for dinner, and he is actually the one who introduced veggies to me three years ago. I have trouble understanding people who do not work out and who eat junk all the time. I just could not imagine how crappy I'd feel if I lived that way, but I guess you can get used to eat. He needs to grow up and be more supportive of you.

Since I only buy 100 whole grain breads, brown rice and now rolled oats for oatmeal (the kind you have to boil for 5 mins) and so now he eats it bcuz it is all thats there. And I make the oatmeal for me and serve him some. The added fiber has gotten to him this week. (he has not made the connection to his increased regularity ;) )
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    My OH would probably be classed as underweight. He is 6ft 1, and has a waist around 30 inches! Since we moved to Australia he exercises SO MUCH, but even before that he could eat whatever he wanted and not put any weight on! He is training for Triathlons now and is always hungry.

I meal plan and cook, so he eats the same food as me but just bigger portions. I don’t really have a sweet tooth so I don’t mind him having chocolate or ice cream in, it doesn’t really tempt me.

The issue will be if he ever prepares dinner he will give me the same portion size as him, and I will have just come back from the gym and be so hungry, and I will really struggle to leave literally half! Also weekends he will want to eat out, go for drinks etc! But I do try to exercise lots and lots through the week and do 2 classes Sat am so I can live a little on the weekends!

He’s pretty good, but would definitely rather I didn’t have to diet!!
  • wickedkitty
    wickedkitty Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My husband and the crap-tastic comments he'd make about my weight are part of my motivation to lose the weight I've gained after having our children. While I've just started on my journey, he is always trying to get me to eat things that I've cut out like candy and soda. When I decine, he has the audacity to ask why not, a little won't hurt!! I'm not giving in and sticking to my guns. You should too. You've worked so hard to get where you're at, if you aren't comfortable straying from your diet don't do it. But at the same time you have to be realistic, the chances that you won't ever have another icecream in your life is slim to none. Maybe schedule a little date with your husband for a frozen yogurt after you meet a goal you've set for yourself. I'm confident that if you keep setting a good example for your man he will eventually follow suit. Good luck!!
  • JJasMyself
    JJasMyself Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That is one of the reasons why after my last relationship ended I have decided to go solo for a while. There are a lot of things I want out of my life and getting myself back in shape and healthy is one of my top priorities. So I just decided I don't need to be in a relationship right now until I get my life in order. I do however, live with my dad and he keeps all kinds of junk food in the house and he'll even by me some little treat thinking it's a healthy version just because it says "made from real fruit juice" or something like that on it. He's starting to get a better idea of what healthy is now. He has never really had to be too concerned with it because he's mailman and walks for 6 hours a day while carrying his 40lb sack of mail so he can basically eat whatever he wants and not gain weight.

We do a combination of some of the the things others have mentioned he'll eat whatever I cook and if he doesn't like a particular healthy item he'll just eat more of the other stuff. If he cooks or wants to order pizza then he'll let me know a head of time so I can eat accordingly.

Now that I've lost a noticable amount of weight he's trying to get back down to what he calls his playing weight. He only has 5 lbs to lose.

As for him ordering pizza when you've already cooked. That's just plain rude. I don't know how you can tolerate it.
  • muskiemama
    Options
    Going through this tonight with my fam. They want pizza so I'm compromising. They can have their pepperoni pizza and I'll fix myself a lean cuisine pizza. That way I won't feel deprived of the joys of pizza and still not blow my program.:)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks I'm a bit OCD with the scales and doesn't understand why I need to weight everything. We share the cooking, but Jem does the lion's share. I know how he cooks and I've a good idea of quantities so I can usually work out the Calories give or take and as I'm usually about 100-150 under each day, I don't stress too much. Well I do for about 10mins and then I've usually forgotten about it.

I don't nag him about losing weight... his belly is beer, booze and crackers n cheese... but at 6'2" he looks a regular guy from behind and 8-months gone from the front/side :laugh: I'm dishing up smaller portions and that's not a problem. If he's hungry and want's more he'll fetch himself second helpings. He also puts a smaller portion on my plate and I don't eat what I don't need.

This is my choice to loose weight because I was getting dangerously near to the point that I could not function within normal parameters... e.g. being unable to find clothes that fit me in the stores, getting very breathless doing simple tasks, finding it ackward to manoeuvre in tight spaces, not being able to fit into tables with fixed seating :cry:

I want to be fit by the time I'm 50. Perhaps when he sees my transformation, he might joing me for his 60th :bigsmile:
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive of me but he hasn't changed his eating habits. I usually tell him what I'm having for dinner and if it's something he likes then he has it too, otherwise he just orders a takeaway or cooks himself some burgers or something :ohwell: He hasn't cut down on his beer either, despite continually saying he's going to. He doesn't really do much exercise, although he has started coming for a brisk 20 minute walk with me during our lunch break (we work together).

It's not like he particularly needs to lose weight, although he might need to soon if he doesn't make a few changes to his lifestyle. I won't nag him about it though - he's an adult and can make his own decisions and I would have been devestated if he'd ever hassled me about my weight. If it becomes a health issue I suppose I might talk to him, but it doesn't affect how attractive I find him at all.
  • Zoe2901
    Zoe2901 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hubby eats what i cook so overall firly healthy and some cheat days but exercising is another matter all together i have been trying to encourage him but he isnt interested really, he did one day of the shred with me and he reckons he is still ching four days later so im on my own with the fitness part.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have always eaten very different diets. He eats like an 11 year old, basically. I do all the cooking, so I've learned to basically make two different dinners, one for him, one for me. It kind of worries me how much Pepsi he drinks (Sorry, Lorina!) but he's a grownup. He does need to lose about 40 lbs, but that's his thing, I'm not gonna force anything on him.
    FORTUNATELY, he is very supportive and would never try to sabotage me. He's respectful of what I choose, and never makes comments about it. If he did, I'd perceive that as a pretty major problem worthy of evaluating.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    my husband ihas a serious appetite, but never gains and children are skinny. they eat healthy with me, and then eat more stuff, good and bad, on top of it. Each time i try the "diet thing" my hubby tries not to tempt me with crap, and then i eventually fall off the wagon after about a week. NOT THIS TIME. He must know i am serious, as because we share the cooking, and sometimes i refuse to eat what he makes (like greasy burgers that are so fatty they burst into flame when cooking on the bbq...) he has asked me to make more detailed menus so that he doesn't "sabotage or starve" me. :-)