Well this is a little embarrassing

So I’ve been doing mfp for almost 3 weeks it’s been a breath of fresh air to me to finally understand more about weight loss. I’m 10 lbs down which is great and I’ve never felt so determined before. But since starting I’ve been suffering with constipation. I wondered initially if it’s because I started suddenly so I was eating lots and now I’m aiming for 1500 calories a day. I’ve been walking and running. Eating porridge, fruit and veg and drinking lots. I have nuts some days and occasionally a coffee. I just wondered if anyone else has suffered anything similar. I would really like to not have to keep using medication and get my diet right for me but I feel like I’ve accidentally cut something out that was well helpful.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Are you eating enough fibre, drinking after the workout and especially eating enough fat? Fat keeps things moving (it's also important for your brain function and lots of other things).
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,098 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm wondering if you haven't upped your fiber intake too much/too quickly? Is your diet very different from what you ate before (porridge, fruit, veg)?
  • ivegotthis20
    ivegotthis20 Posts: 6 Member
    Looking at my stats some days I hit my fibre goal and other days I’m under. I think I’ve been so worrying about the calories. What’s the best low cal fibre additions I should make?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,098 Member
    This might be useful:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/22-high-fiber-foods#section7

PS: I am constipated on occasion - I find eating some prunes works for me.
  • yirara
    Most of the database entries are user generated, and it's very possible that people have not been adding fibre. Thus you might actually be over by a lot, which might also cause constipation.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    How is your fat intake? fat gets the bowels moving I find...
  • ivegotthis20
    ivegotthis20 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks everyone! I’m so determined like never before to lose the weight and I think I’ve been doing quite well so I really don’t want this to derail me!
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    As a short term fix (until you sort out the balance), try black coffee towards the start of your day. It'll help keep things moving and won't stop you from sleeping if you take it early enough.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    OP, this happens to me, too, when I start counting calories to lose weight. So you are not alone. Like you said, going from lots of food to ~1500 calories worth is a drop in volume for sure. You've got some good advice....hope it works for you.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Chronic constipation is the bane of my life, so I sympathize greatly. Increased activity triggered a bout of it for me for a few weeks; changes in your diet or routine can definitely cause that. I also don't like taking medications for it because it seems to mess up my body's routine, so I try for natural methods when I can. Upping your fat intake, making sure you are well hydrated, and getting enough fiber is highly recommended. Certain foods can also help: prunes, apples, bananas are some foods that help. Coffee works for some folks. If you need something more, miralax does work well for milder cases and is a lot gentler than laxatives.
  • mrvivinwales
    mrvivinwales Posts: 36 Member
    I was having a similar problem up until 12 months ago, then I started having a Chia pudding with berries on top for my lunch every day and everything changed after researching fibre I realized I wasn't having enough fibre for a man it should be around 38g, a woman, about 25g a day, apparently on average people are only having about 15g a day hence constipation. To make my chia pudding I use 3 dessert spoons of chia seeds 120ml of full-fat milk, 100g of berries.
  • yirara
    I have to say that I poop less when I work out a lot, and the consistency is different. I guess it has something to do with mild dehydration, especially because I mostly work out in the evening and might still sweat in bed.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    If coffee and a run doesn’t help you I don’t know what to say 😐 (other than, I’m almost jealous)

Maybe with time your body will just adjust to your new diet. Eat plenty of green things and get your water! Well done!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Here’s a very gentle yet effective remedy. First thing in the morning, drink a big glass of warm water. As warm as you can comfortably stand to drink in one go. Zero calories and no chemicals, and it’s never disappointed me yet.
    I also second the thoughts above, that in an effort to cut down calories you may have upped your fiber and decreased fat intake too quickly for your system to handle. A quarter to a half of an avocado a day may restore the balance for you - it did for me in that situation.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Looking at my stats some days I hit my fibre goal and other days I’m under. I think I’ve been so worrying about the calories. What’s the best low cal fibre additions I should make?

This may not be the best approach. Or even a good one. Yes, a calorie goal is important, but without the proper balance of nutrients, especially, carbs, fat, & protein, hitting a calorie goal is pretty much useless. One of the great things about MFP is that if used to plan meals and not just track the numbers, the user can find a good balance. For me, that's meant lower calorie intake and a 25 pound loss since Christmas, last.

As to the constipation, both soluble and insoluble fiber can help chase it away. But, there must be sufficient water intake to make it work right. Whole grains, beans, and greens are considered high fiber foods and a great source for it along with a base of about 60 ounces of water per day. More if you've been exercising - more exercise and sweat means the body needs more water.

• AstridNova
    AstridNova Posts: 1 Member
    Coconut is a laxative - some coconut water or prunes. Probiotics should help you. You can also try some yoga specifically for that issue, get your bowels moving. It could be something you’re eating is causing you to become constipated - even an intolerance, or maybe something like bananas. Warm water in the morning should help too.
  • aglaw
    aglaw Posts: 1 Member
    Sounds like you are getting fiber from fruits and veggies. Drink lots of water. Magnesium deficient? There is a Calm magnesium drink. I notice my magnesium levels are low when I get muscle cramps and twitches, especially my eyelid twitches and calf cramps up when I'm overstressed, lol. It also makes you go #2! Good luck!