WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• Darcey1965
    Options
    Barbie,
    I also look at Sept. as a new beginning each year, so I am just getting started with myfitnesspal and looking forward to sharing support back and forth with, especially, older women.
    I am 63 and want to get fit and healthy. I'm a religion writer and spend a good portion of my day at the computer, getting little exercise except when I stop to take the dogs outside to play. I need to get back on my elliptical, but need to take some weight off so my knees will cooperate.
    Thanks to all the ladies here for your inspirational comments, and especially Melva:flowerforyou: for inviting me to this forum!
    Darcey:smile:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Our plan was to go for a good long hike on the North Downs today. However, the torrential rain scuppered that idea and we plumped for a wet walk in Richmond Park instead. We were drenched to the skin, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Michele, I have been a vegetarian since I was 17 but DH and my children are meat eaters, apart from DD#2 who still eats chicken but no other meat or fish. I have always cooked different food for myself. In the 23 years that I have been with my husband (plus the ten years before that when we were best friends) he has never once cooked a meal for me - he says it's because I'm an 'awkward eater'. Rubbish - he's just making excuses. Still, he never complains about eating different meals ... he wouldn't dare.

If I had my way, I would have a totally vegetarian kitchen. As it is, I have a whole other cooking area for my food preparation. DH does like his meat though, and I don't feel as though I should force my ideals on to him ... so woe betide him if he ever tried to criticise my eating habits.

Tomorrow I start looking after my grandtwins while my daughter goes back to work for three days a week. I will have to leave home by six a.m. so I don't think I'm going to get much chance to get on MFP until the evening when I get home, although I will try to log on with my iphone.

Anyway, have a good week please.

Love
    Amanda x
  • imcountingcalories
    Options
    Bump!! :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Faye - Thanks for getting back to me. Vince is a year older than I am. He's on 5 different medications. I take one. I realize that two of them are for his heart. He did try to have an ablation a few years ago and his heart went into afib so they couldn't do the operation. But the cholesterol meds and the bp meds, if that were me I'd try changing my diet/lifestyle so that I didn't need those medications. But that's me. His parents lived into their 80's, my father lived into his 80's, as my grandmother, my grandfather lived into his 90's. Yes, he did smoke (not a lot), his meat was white with all the salt he put on it, he did drink (not a lot), but they also had a different lifestyle back then. Even when he was in his 90's, he'd walk down 2 flights of stairs to get oil for their stove. The oil can full wasn't light, either. Honestly, there are times when I do worry that Vince is not eating. I've taken food to him out in the garage. He seems to have this idea that you eat 3 meals a day and don't eat at all until you are hungry. That probably explains why he will have cookies, ice cream. When you're really hungry, you tend to choose foods that are convenient (ie: not healthy). I wish I'd thought to tell him how he's messing up his metabolism. I don't know what it does to his electrical system in his body. His father only lived into his 80's because he was on dialysis the last couple of years. My father didn't want to have dialysis, his feeling was "when God wants me, I'm going and no dialysis is going to stop it. If He doesn't want me, I'm not going. Besides, I'm 80 years old, what are you going to give me, 3 more years of pain from my arthritis? No thank you." I do hope you feel better fast

Julia - as a nurse, maybe you can answer for me about the metabolism/electrical correlation and if indeed there is one.

birdie - I hear ya about people not doing things healthily complaining about people who are. The only problem is that Jessica eats decently and I know (because we're paying her Y membership) that she exercises regularly. Do you know that I asked Vince today what he had for lunch (1:30) and he told me he hadn't eaten yet. Then...when he did get around to having lunch, what was it? Cookies and gatorade.

Melva - thanks so much for inviting Darcey.

I did an hour of training games on the Wii today and tomorrow since there aren't any classes held, I'll do a DVD at home.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • sl1mmy
    sl1mmy Posts: 185
    Options
    Hi everyone! :flowerforyou:

Thanks Barbie for the September Welcome!

I don't write a lot on the post but I read everything. Very inspirationnal. I can say that like many of you I gained a little weight recently. Not much. Just 1,2 pounds but how I don't like it. I don't know if I'm going to try to maintain or if I go back on track to lose. I haven't made my mind.

With September, all my leisure activities will come back. I already had bowling last Monday and my dance lessons will beguin the 13. :smile:

To those of you with healt issues I wish everything will be well.

Take care everyone !

Niki :heart:
  • awynboom
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I am new to MFP and welcome the chance to connect with women, shall I say 'older', for we are as young as we feel. I'm 2 days in and feeling strong. I am taking several classes at our local Y. Daily exercise is a part of my routine, now that I am retired. The eating part is challenging, so keeping a food journal is key for me. I'm happy to have the opportunity to hear your stories and will jump in with my own comments in the future!

Good luck to all,
    Alice
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,
    It was great reading your words tonight. Michele....I can relate to the situation you have to deal with. There are times that I need to remind my husband that I am serious about doing this change. There are some times when I have no problem with "his goodies" and there are other times that I don't want to see them around because they call to me. He knows that somedays I just throw things in the garbage (betther there than in my mouth). I know that in all of this, it is great to have the support of your partner...but if you don't we have to know that we are doing it for ourselves. I really wanted my husband to come to the gym with me and after a year of trying to get him to consistently come...I stopped waiting and just got myself to the gym.

Today was a better day. I felt more on track that I have this past week between the hurricane and a sinus infection. I even got to our strength training class.

Have a good night!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    I found this recently and thought I'd share it with you. It is not exactly how I eat, but it is certainly a good list of healthy goals in eating.

A person who eats processed-free generally adopts the following practices:
    • Eliminates white sugar and white flour
    • Eliminates artificial sweeteners
    • Eliminates trans-fats and foods fried in unhealthy oils
    • Eats a variety of whole grains
    • Minimizes consumption of dairy products, with the exception of a daily serving of yogurt
    • Minimizes exposure to pesticides
    • Always eats breakfast and never skips meals
    • Reads food ingredient lists and avoids as many chemical additives as possible
    • Eats an abundance of vegetables and fruits
    • Incorporates legumes, nuts, and seeds into their daily meals and snacks
    • Cooks healthy meals
    • Packs healthy meals and snacks
    • Makes healthy choices when dining out
    • Drinks an adequate amount of water
    • Eliminates alcoholic beverages (or significantly limits it)
    • Stays within healthy portion guidelines, but does not obsess about calories
    • Has a healthy relationship with food and approaches it with reverence
    • Surrounds themselves with a social community supportive to healthy eating

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: the last one on the list validates how important it is for me to spend time with all of you on a daily basis.........too many of my face to face friends are not supportive of my healthy eating.
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michelle

I remember being on the other side. I was like Vince when I was still married to my ex. He loved to exercise, I hated it. He cooked healthy and tried to get me too also. I at that time preferred comfort food or the easiest and quickest thing to prepare. I had no control of anything in my life and it showed in how I took care of myself physically and mentally. I did eat whatever he cooked though, because it was usually good, but I simply was too exhausted to go through the trouble for myself. I also did tease him about eating like he did. Why? Because I was jealous that he could do it, and because I was afraid I woulld lose him if he started looking good to other women. It was purely selfish. But honestly, at that time in my life I was not mentally prepared to accept my condition (obesity) or the way I felt about myself in general. You know that saying, "When you're ready to do it, you have to do it for yourself and no one else." Well I wasn't there yet. And I resented my ex for being there already.

Fortunately, he understood that, and didn't hold it against me. But we did end up splitting up, but for entirely different reasons.

Maybe Vince isn't there yet. It took me 50 years to finally do it for myself. Both physically and mentally. Maybe, like my mom, he will never change. It's like she doesn't look enough into the future or realize there are other alternatives. Either way you can't force them (not that you were), but at the same time he shouldn't be making you feel bad either. Maybe he would just like you to eat something with him once in awhile to remember a time when you both did the same thing as a couple. Remember food can be a comfort thing and sometimes it's nice when you have a buddy along with you enjoying the same thing and making yummy sounds together:laugh: . I know this sounds lame and it is, but it's also true. It's kind of like that saying, "MIsery loves company". Well so do people who eat comfort food. Please don't get me wrong, I totally support how and what you do! I'm just saying maybe he misses sharing this with you and would like once in awhile to have you eat something he is eating at the same time. Maybe once in awhile it would be okay for you to do. Once in a great while that is. Or maybe you can suggest to him if you have what he is eating one night then he has to eat what you are eating on another night. Kind of getting him involved in it slowly. Maybe you two can cook together. That can be fun and kind of sexy too. Nothing like making out and kissing things that you taste off of each others faces or lips.:blushing:

At any rate Michelle, I agree with you and your rant. No one should put you down for what you are doing. You are doing something great and healthy and you are a wonderful and strong woman. You are a great inspiration to us all. Keep up the good work!:drinker:

Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • grabbit97
    Options
    I will get back on my bike one of these days. At PT on Saturday I was able to get on a recumbant bike and make the pedals go around 10 times, it was hard at first, but I did it. I have a long way to go before I can see myself get back on a bike... and ride outside, which I love to do.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Natalie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and in particular, Michelle,

My husband does not support me in my goals nor does he support our children. Mostly, everything is about him and up until a few years ago, we all lived in a very unhappy house.

When I turned 55 my DD printed and gave me an article on how deadly certain things become for women over 55. That is the year I joined MFP.

After that I got lectured by my son's therapist about how my hubby's poor attitude was effecting both kids and everyone else in the house. Now, I do what I need to to for me and the kids. I keep the door open by inviting him, but if he doesn't want to do something and the kids and I do, we go without him. Same thing for food. I try to cook for everyone, but if he doesn't like what I cook, he's old enough to fix something else to suppliment what I cook.

It may sound harse, but it has brought peace and happiness to our house more than trying to keep him happy on everything.

Jeannie
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :smile: Just finished reading "When Food is Love" by Geneen Roth. Read it in one sitting. A gripping book.

:heart: Spent the last week with daughter and grand baby!! Sooooo enjoyed it. He is most adorable and lovable and kissable.

:heart: Rebel (with new motto): Loving myself just the way I am :heart:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Had a skype call today from my daughter. I got to see the baby bump. It really sunk in that she is pregnant and that I am really going to be a grandma. I start my new plan tomorrow. healthy food, two hours of activity, lots of water and no alcohol during the week. i can get back on track. I know I can.
  • AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I went back to work August 1. I'm a school secretary, and the beginning of the school year is pretty stressful. Lots of long hours. So I found it very hard to get to the gym, but I have turned that around this past week. Lost a pound a week anyway, just by meeting my calorie goals.
    I'm feeling a little stuck around 159-160 lbs. right now. I would like to get to 155 by the end of September. Then I will feel like I am safely away from the 160s for LIFE!
    Good luck to all of you on your September goals! Enjoy the cooler weather!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

That is a great list of behaviors, Barbie..Thank you.

Today was the first day of my husband's vacation. We drove about an hour away and took my cousin to lunch. I made good choices (grilled chicken, baked potato and broccoli). Tomorrow I have blood work (checking cholesterol and Vit D)...hopefully I will see improvement. Tomorrow night I begin a new Weight Loss Challenge...it is really nice that this program runs in 8 or 12 week cycles. It definitely feels like a new beginning.

Hope all is well with everyone.
  • cathys01
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

There are so very many posts to catch up on and so many people to say hello to. I am so glad to see some familiar faces back, you were missed. To the newcomers, welcome.

To those of you, that are losing such great amounts of weight, that is amazing, keep it up!! I am not losing at all, just staying the same, but at least I am not gaining.

I am on 2 weeks holidays from work and I am so glad. My DH and I leave for our cruise on Saturday, which should be great. We need time to reconnect after a very busy, demanding year that we have both had.

I love reading your posts, Ladies, you give me such pause for thought. There is such wisdom in these posts.

I will go for now but I will talk to you later. Take care of yoursleves.

Love, Cathy xx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Hey, Alice. Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Sally - Vince is the samew way about the gym. I remember when I worked at the Y, one night he had to pick me up. I didn't want to leave until the last member left, so I told him he can just sit in the lobby. Do you know that he wouldn't even do that much? He sat in the car! Good lunch you had there.

I've been trying to get in more veggies. Tonight I had a big salad with okra, butternut squash, radishes, crookneck squash, an egg white, a piece of chicken. I've found myself lately going food shopping and looking to see what veggies are on sale. That's a good sign, at least for me.

I roasted some chickpeas tonight. Someone on another board told me about it. I did put some red pepper on them, next time I think I'll just leave them be.

chicklet - I don't know if I gave you the wrong impression. I don't eat EVERY meal differently from Vince. I may give him a dinner roll while I have a sweet potato. Yes, there are times when I do have a different meal from him. Like tonight, I had my salad (boy, am I stuffed, good time to make the dip that I'll take to Mexican Train dominoes tomorrow night) while he had a frozen dinner. Truthfully, this was the first time in a lllllooonnnnggg time that I totally forgot to preplan the meal which is why I resorted to a quick dinner for him. I hear ya, he might like me having the same thing he's having. But on the other hand, there are times when I'd like him to have the same thing I'm having, and that doesn't happen. I like things with flavor (a bit of spices), Vince won't touch anything that even remotely has flavor (spices). He won't touch tofu (talk about bland!).

Rebel - love your new motto

I did a Jari Love Ripped to the Core DVD today. Tomorrow, I'll go to the Y and use the stairmaster, then go to a taichi class.

Just made a spinach and crab dip to take with me tomorrow night. Pretty tasty, I must say.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • randylevy
    randylevy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I have been looking for a support group on MFP that I can relate to. I turned 50 in July and unlike some of my friends having crises, I have embraced it. I gladly refer to myself as a "Golden Oldie." Funny thing is, I've never been more motivated in my life to get fit, get healthy, have stamina and really truly live my life to the fullest.

There was a time where I was resigned to being fat. I told myself and my family that instead of being Fab at 50, I was going to be Fat at 50 and I was just going to have to accept it. Then something happened. As so often we do things for our kids, I realized I had to make another effort or my kids would wind up just like me.

My daughter and I joined the Quick Weight Loss Program in February. It is very expensive, extremely structured and provides daily nutritional counseling. It works, but it is a roller coaster ride of ups and downs and you most likely wont reach your goal weight by the time your weeks are up and they want you to buy more weeks. I refused and I turned to MFP.

I LOVE this program. I have lost at least a pound every week since I've been here (which is almost 2 months). In February, my goal was to lose 50 lbs; I am now down to 19. I am hoping to achieve this by Christmas or in my case Chanukah.

I love the food database and the tools. I am just starting to use the community boards. I've taken on a few fitness challenges this month. This is from someone who has been very sedentary her whole life so this is a big change for me. Most I do Leslie Sansone's walking videos on Exercise TV. I have done the Family Walk, One Mile, Two Mile and the Cardio-Slim Program.

My goal is to do the C25K program by the end of the year. So that's a little about me. It would be really wonderful to share my challenges and successes with all of you. Please feel free to friend me and let's get to know each other.

Thanks. Now I must go prepare lunches for the kids and husband and get ready for work tomorrow. Wishing you all a wonderful day tomorrow.

Randy.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I feel like today is the official "Changing of the Guards" in terms of Seasons. :flowerforyou: Something about after the Labor Day weekend, here in the states, that routines, temperatures, clothing, activities and projects ....take on a new look.

I am a little discouraged today because, although I've been with MFP since Aug 14, 2009, I still have some bad eating habits and am over my calories for the last 4 days.

This journey we are on is nothing less than an ONGOING journey and we keep learning and growing even (or should I say.....ESPECIALLY) when we are struggling.

Losing the weight is pretty much why we all started with MFP but the longer you are working out your day to day choices, you realize that there are ALWAYS new things to learn and areas grow in. NO ONE EVER GRADUATES FROM THIS PROGRAM.....WE JUST KEEP SUPPORTING AND HELPING EACH OTHER IN THIS LIFE LONG JOURNEY.

I have made many good choice but there is one area that I struggle in. I started having a glass of wine with hubby everynight instead of getting into ice cream and cookies. It turned into a lovely habit of spending quality time with him. :love: HOWEVER, I now have 2 or 3 glasses....sometimes more each evening and I know this is too much.:noway: (And that's the main reason why my calories are over most days.) :angry: I don't want to totally cut out alcohol social reasons, but I definitely need to cut way....way back.:ohwell: I don't care about drinking during the day, but evenings have become a little too consumed with drinking. I need to find some replacements for drinking so much wine. I tried diet soda but that makes me gassy. I hate tea and can't drink coffee after breakfast. I have trouble sleeping and the wine has helped me relax, so I sleep better.....which makes cutting it out even harder. Besides water, tea, coffee and diet soda....are there any other non-caloric....or low calorie choices. Just looking for advice.

BirdieM:flowerforyou:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

Kathy – If you can post pictures of your yard and gardens. I’d love to see them. (said wishfully thinking of the day when I have water and can start planting again)

Jeannie

My gardens are not very big or very impressive. There's an HOA that is pretty strict here and that limits what we can do (I really hope that when my son buys a house that it is in an older neighborhood or somewhere else without an HOA! Some of them--well, you might as well have a landlord instead of own your home, it seems to me!) Mostly I just took out all the old irises and lilies and moved some shrubs and other plants. I guess you could see all the work I did if I had any 'before' pictures but as it is, it just looks like an ordinary front yard garden!

We are getting our summer now that September is here! Forecast calls for the warmest weather yet this year for the next week or two! Maybe I'll get a few vegetables after all!