I just ate an entire box of cereal

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    No reason to feel stupid, I'm a athlete and have done that or something simular 500+ times in my lifetime.

As goofy as this sounds, sometimes you're dehydrated and your body doesn't stop craving things until you hydrate. In this case part of it could be the milk/P.P.

Regardless. I really wouldn't sweat it. I've sat down and ate a 4000 calorie pastry a couple months ago. If your active and training, your body will get the itch to fuel itself what seems unreasonable at times. Just log and move on.

My suggestion is to add some other food with your cereal. Perhaps some sausage, eggs, or hashbrowns with cheese.

Your body weight is fairly low depending on what sport so it's not going to be detrimental in most cases. I'm probably more than twice your age and 6'3" 236lbs and would seem skinny if I was still playing TE in football. Keep things in perspective and don't beat yourself up.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Best way to stop (at home) is to not have unhealthy food in the house. Having said that, one bad meal will not bust your diet.
  • 99JT
    99JT Posts: 59 Member
    edited March 2018
    Your trying to bulk up and worrying about eating a whole box of cereal??? As long as you hit your minimum fat and protein it doesn't matter what you eat even if you went way over your calories it shouldn't be a big deal I did this a lot when I was a runner I'd come home have a snack and end up finshing all of whatever I was eating and never gained a pound. Also if you're hungry on a bulk chances are your not eating enough.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Don't stress. I had a hard time adjusting to food in college. I grew up on a DASH diet, and the greasy food my house served made me sick. I pretty much lived on cereal, milk, Power Bars and Maalox (because I was lactose intolerant). I played competitive soccer and spent several hours at the gym. Maybe I would've performed better if I ate a better diet, but I did fine.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    I loooove cereal. I could eat a whole box in one sitting, too. What helps for me is pouring the bowl and then walking away and eating it somewhere else. If I eat the bowl with the box right next to me, I'm definitely bound to pour more.
  • glennburke
    glennburke Posts: 1 Member
    I just did this on purpose, for breakfast I had a whole box of frosted shreddies for my carb re-feed day. 400g carbs, because prior to that I'm under 200g carbs every day. In hindsight it was a bit too much because it made me so full and tired, probably should have spread it throughout the day, but I wanted it. There's nothing weird about eating a whole box of cereal if you usually restrict carbs, that's just balance, it restores your leptin hormone
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Old thread but I was super curious to know which cereal would be interesting enough to eat an entire box of.

Alas, I remain none the wiser 😔
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Old thread but I was super curious to know which cereal would be interesting enough to eat an entire box of.

I reckon I could eat a whole box of granola. Or Frosties. Or coco pops. I don’t find it filling at all and quite tasty. Just wish I was bulking but I’m not.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    What kind of cereal!!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited May 2020
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Cinnamon Toast Crunch would do it for me. :)
  • lizziehunter25
    lizziehunter25 Posts: 1 Member
    I love cereal! Especially if its froot loops
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    wallyr1 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Are you trying to gain weight? Does this happen often? Are you restricting any types of foods, like cereal? Were you stressed or bored?
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Were you very hungry? Perhaps you are restricting too much at certain times per day? Not fueled before your workouts? You need to tell us more about your training, goals and life style.

Are you trying to gain weight or not?

Lifestyle:
    6’0
    175lb
    College rower.
    Workout 6 days a week on water . Lifting about 5-7days.

I AM trying to bulk. I really wanna put on mass, My frames large and I have a lot to fill up.I had my calories at 3,000. But that really doesn’t seem to be enough, because even at 3,000 I still end up hungry some nights. I think I need bring them up.

I did get in the habit of being pretty restrictive with my diet. So I’m trying to slowly reincorporate cereals, cookies, etc into my diet. I just find those foods super easy to binge on. I wasn’t stressed or bored I was actually pretty hungry. I weighed out the first scoop but it really didn’t fill me up so I jusy kept eating and fell into a trance and ended up jus eating the whole box. Sure I feel pretty bloated but not so uncomfortable like I’m gonna throw up. Usually I’ll just skip breakfast/lunch the next day after a binge like this and I’m back on track

Should I increase my cals past 3000? If so, by how much? 3200? My goals to gain 3lb or so every month for a while. I’m pretty fit, but I really don’t have that much muscle, so I’m figuring I’m still in my first year of actual lifting with a meal plan and weight goal.

You probably need to eat more . - You are young, and active - lifting weights and rowing. You said you are trying to bulk up - so increase your cal intake untill the scale goes up. Don't do it all at once - add 500 cals per day, stay at that level for a couple weeks, and see what happens, increase if needed. Be sure to get 175 gms of protien , 75 gms of fat, and the rest carbs, and eat your veggies.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    no worries unless you do this every day. When I was your age and playing sports, I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted with tons of calories. In fact, I needed to eat at least 4-5K worth of calories or I would lose weight....if you find this to be a problem day after day , then seek some help.
  • CherylAW1586
    CherylAW1586 Posts: 10 Member
    Gainz train right there 🚂💪🏽
    Keep cereal for post work out meal.
    Your body will inhale the calories
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Gainz train right there 🚂💪🏽
    Keep cereal for post work out meal.
    Your body will inhale the calories

Not sure I understand what you mean. My resistance training sessions burn around 150 to 200 cals if I ate a whole box of cereal I would be far over my carbs and probably have a too high surplus ( depending on what else I’d eaten). No way I would do that on a regular basis.
  • CherylAW1586
    Time carbs around training.
    Body utilises better.
    High carb and sugar after training spikes insulin.
    Insulin is also anti-catabolic (prevents muscle protein breakdown). On top of that, insulin increases the activity of certain enzymes (such as glycogen synthase) which trigger glycogen formation in your muscles, enhancing performance, muscle size, and recovery.
  • CherylAW1586
    Plus the guy is wanting to bulk and put size on.
    Carbs=growth
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    Wrong thing to read while very tired!

155g and 723 Cal of granola later (which not even 10% of the MegaSized 1.8kg box) I will report that putting it away and eating it 30g at a time and getting up and opening it the box again and weighing another portion, and sitting down to eat it and.... well. It didn't hurt to do all that!

Curious: if the OP is trying to bulk and, OVERALL, they're not gaining too fast... why is it bad to overeat the cereal?