Stress Belly / Visceral Fat

I am very very slim, but today, I found out that i have an unhealthy Waist to Hip Ratio of 0.90.

Waist : 65-68 cm (depending on whether I breath out)
Hip : 72cm

It seems like I have what they call a "STress Belly" or "visceral fat" due to cortisol.
There was even in one time in my skinny life , when people thought I was pregnant.

Now, i don't look pregnant, but the WHR is still bad.

I don't feel that I'm in any stressful situation right now. But I was told that I have "hypervigilance", ie. underlying anxiety probably due to past trauma.

Does anyone know how to get rid of a Stress Belly?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2020

How do you know it's viseral fat due to cortisol?

• shepnic72
    shepnic72 Posts: 15 Member
    @QueenOfVines I feel your pain. I have always had a pot belly... only recently have a come to the conclusion that i have what you call a “stress belly” Our bodies go into self preservation mode when it is put under stress ,... something about too much cortisol 🤷‍♀️ It is hard fat to get rid of .... as i am unable to see my reg doc or my natural path I personally have started taking a supplement called thyro-smart ... it is supposed to help reduce the cortisol. Also, i was flowing the 21 day fix program plus walking daily ... as this puts my body in full blown stress mode i have switched to a 3 week yoga program ....so will see.
    I suggest a naturalpath doc when the things go back to normal ... i find med doc dont listen when it comes to stuff like this

PS i am not a doctor just a woman who struggles daily with her weight .... i have done my research and spoken to professionals... i am only offering my personal opinion.
  • QueenOfVines
    QueenOfVines Posts: 50 Member
    My Height is 156cm
    My Weight 45kg
    My BMI is 18.5. (almost underweight)
    My age 43 yr.

I have just retaken my measurements, and it's 68cm/72cm . so my WHR is 0.94.

way above the healthy ratio of 0.8.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    edited May 2020
    First of all, you've gone with 68 cm which was your original "lungs full" measurement. I read the wikipedia article as discussing an "empty lungs" measurement. The link below has detail instruction on how to measure.

MUCH more relevant, we now have 3/4 measures that say you have NO reason to be concerned about abdominal fat.

The Canadian Heart and Stroke foundation is listing waist > 80cm as the concerning point for women, with > 88cm as elevated. You are a LONG way away from that.

https://www.heartandstroke.ca/get-healthy/healthy-weight/healthy-weight-and-waist

The only measure that indicates a concern is the one that considers your hips, and others have commented on that.

IF HOWEVER, you do feel that your waist has recently increased beyond expectation I would urge you to get checked out by a doctor to rule out a myriads of less or more concerning issues that can all contribute to a larger than normal waist. At your current bmi abdominal fat, stress or no stress, is, as I've mentioned, hard to credit as a possibility.
  • melgreywolf75
    melgreywolf75 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello,
    Waist to Hip Ratio is one guide, but more accurate will be using the fat measurement machine. Besides blood test, CT Scan which is very costly.

Go get a good fat measurement machine, which will also give you an indicator of how much visceral fats you have. The Healthline website says below 13 is good. But my family doctor says below 15 (I think he is being kind to me).

Stay healthy.
  • QueenOfVines
    QueenOfVines Posts: 50 Member
    67yagxnxdj2d.jpg

Here is my pic... I don't think it's just small hip. I have a ball in front of me...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Also, this asks for the womb thread. I just can't find it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Also, this asks for the womb thread. I just can't find it.

This one, I'm guessing :smile:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

Explains when I couldn't find it <3 Thanks a lot.