For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    Ham and pea risotto garnished with some pea shoots I grew on the balcony. Hubby assembled a side of store bought roast peppers with mozarella.
    fjknwx1gyrj5.jpeg
  • acpgee
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Two days ago I skipped the artichoke. Yesterday I tried something different. I cut off the points, pulled of the lowermost leaves, and quartered them. I tossed them with olive oil, salt, dried chipotle, and garlic, and I put 'em on some parchment paper.

In the oven 20 minutes. They were more than "half baked," and I turned them each onto their other cut side.

In for another eight minutes, and they sure look crispy.

Tasty, though! I was really surprised that the "choke" part (that fuzzy crap I usually scoop out after I eat the leaves and get just to the heart) kind of just melted into tasty goodness. Not fuzzy at all!

Next time (as in maybe today) I might just cut in half and leave cut-side down. I might shorten the roast time a little if I quarter them again. I think my patch might be mutating. I see some of the globe shaped flowers on main stalks that have elongated flowers lower down. Odd indeed. They all have a purple tinge on them, so I'm thinking the elongated ones are Violetto. It's possible, I suppose, that some are hybrids that seeded in since I do leave a few flowers to open each year. They are really pretty. Bees and hummingbirds love 'em. But I don't think there's room in the patch for new plants; they just keep getting BIGGER AND BIGGER so I divide them every few years.

Thanks for the tip about roasting. I am especially intrigued that the roasted choke was edible. Makes me tempted to try carciofa alla giudia which I love but have never attempted because I was daunted by trying to remove raw chokes before deep frying. This is a famous dish from Rome's Jewish ghetto.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

(snip)

Tasty, though! I was really surprised that the "choke" part (that fuzzy crap I usually scoop out after I eat the leaves and get just to the heart) kind of just melted into tasty goodness. Not fuzzy at all!
    (snip)

Purely speculating, I wonder if the freshness of the artichoke might contribute to willingness of the "choke" to soften, i.e., maybe starting out less dried-out?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,125 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snip)

(snip)

Purely speculating, I wonder if the freshness of the artichoke might contribute to willingness of the "choke" to soften, i.e., maybe starting out less dried-out?

Totally possible. I cut it off the stalk, brought it in, and started cutting it up within two minutes. I will rely on someone else to try it with a store-bought flower. I plan to keep eating mine as fresh as I can. In fact, I might have TWO tonight - one of each variety. I would for sure roast again. Last taste test said I know which ones taste best steamed. Bonus of roasting with a little olive oil - no butter needed! Maybe instead of olive oil I'll rub the cut side with some bacon fat. Hmmmmm......
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2020
    I defrosted a stewing chicken and yesterday made some broth with it, as well as cooking it. Made a chicken and veg soup for dinner tonight with the results -- carrots, parsnips, and broccoli (based on what I needed to use), plus onion and garlic, and of course the chicken, broth, and seasonings. Not sure if I've used the veg together before, but refrigerator triage. Waiting for it to cool and will report back.
  • lemurcat2
    Also made another big order from my favorite farmers' market. They are delivering from a combination of farms. I didn't need eggs, but got seasonal veg (but including some hot house stuff, as they have cherry tomatoes and I haven't even planted mine yet), meat, and -- because why not? -- soap.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    @mtaratoot I'm definitely going to search through your posts next time I get artichokes, the store had them 4 for $5 and I was real tempted but had take-out tonight and didn't want them to go bad (I'm the only one who'd be eating them). Love the idea about roasting! My favorite appetizer my family has is artichokes that have been boiled/steamed in lemon water then halved and cleaned, stuffed with garlic, then brushed with olive oil and grilled. I'm not embarrassed to say I'm usually full from pigging out on them by the time dinner comes around. Roasting would be the perfect solution as I don't want to get coals going just for myself.
  • mtaratoot
    Update on the experimental artichoke adventure.

I took an average sized elongated flower and a small Globe yesterday.

csm5ccy5ancm.jpg

I cut off the top, trimmed the points, and cut them in half.

u8tcf0caqcr9.jpg

Drizzled olive oil on the open side and seasoned with salt, garlic, and dried chipotle powder. I put them cut side down on a tray.

5a71k5y5x0eh.jpg

I also sliced a big ol' onion, tossed that with olive oil, salt, and pepper. And more chipotle. Put them on a different pan and roasted everything 20 minutes, tossing the onions once during that time. Check everything and put them back in another eight to ten minutes.

08pfso39d3yp.jpg

Plate...

s9g494m28zv2.jpg

And enjoy!

234ddn884bml.jpg
  • acpgee
    Lots of veg for dinner. Vaguely mediteranean salad made from last night's veggie sides. Chicken lok lak is a great way to eat salad. Traditionally this Cambodian recipe is made with beef. For a vegan version I would replace the meat with seitan.
    whw5vmz26j6m.jpeg
    4lyjlurm0zdy.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Vaguely med salad.
    osps9qcv9q4v.jpeg
  • lemurcat2
    Today's dinner is flank steak with a mix of roasted sunchokes and cauliflower, plus some asparagus cooked in a cast iron skillet.
  • lemurcat2
    I love watercress. Watercress soup is good too (there are many different versions).
  • lemurcat2
    I had some chicken to use up (I cooked a stewing hen and ended up with a ton of tasty broth and some chicken). I made a second chicken soup with the chicken, using the veg I had on hand that seemed to work: onion, garlic, carrot, parsnip, and green pepper. I decided to add potatoes cut small as my starch this time, and then thyme and chives from the herbs I have growing on my back porch. It made about 2 servings, so I have one leftover.

Current veg I have that I need to use pretty soon are some brussels, so will be doing something with them today or tomorrow. I'm also expecting a delivery from a group of farms that normally attend my favorite green market, but now are delivering. In addition to veg (I forget exactly what I ordered, will report when they come), I'm getting some meat and some soap.
  • acpgee
    Vietnamese canhis one of my favourite simple things to do with watercress.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-make-vietnamese-canh
  • acpgee
    I grew corn shoots on the balcony and they are pretty prolific but unfortunately I am not that crazy about their taste when raw. Going to use today's harvest for canh.
    g979rvhebj1e.jpeg
    9a236tg06ud4.jpeg

• annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    I have been lurking here for quite a while, and learned a lot. I remember a discussion a while back of what to do with kitchen scraps, other than for composting. I tried to search, but couldn't find anything. Please help me out as I have a large bag of assorted vegetable scraps in the freezer. I need to use them as I need the room for other things now. Thanks in advance
  • mtaratoot
    annk18 wrote: »
    I have been lurking here for quite a while, and learned a lot. I remember a discussion a while back of what to do with kitchen scraps, other than for composting. I tried to search, but couldn't find anything. Please help me out as I have a large bag of assorted vegetable scraps in the freezer. I need to use them as I need the room for other things now. Thanks in advance

Simplest thing is to make broth.

Put everything in a pot and cover with water. Simmer SLOWLY. Watch for foam at first, and you can scoop it out if you want. Let that cook an hour or so, then let it cool and strain. You can freeze some broth if you want to keep it longer. Use it for SO MANY things to add flavor and umami when you might otherwise just use water. Not for cooking pasta, but for cooking rice, making soups, or anything you ADD water to.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    @mtaratoot Those are great tomato plants! I tried growing Berkeley Tie-Dye years ago and never got any tomatoes but it's for cooler zones than I'm in. Sungold is one of my favorite smaller tomatoes, I have a couple growing right now and they did great when I originally grew them.

On the subject of tomatoes I have to share this. I'm in a gardening group on Facebook and someone posted a picture of their tomato plants wondering why some of the leaves at the bottom were a little yellow. They're in huge grow bags and are the size of pine trees. It's a beginner's gardening group. They aren't tomato plants but the biggest marijuana plants I've ever seen, the size of professional growers! Someone must've played a joke on this guy, the comments are hilarious, one of the best was that he's growing some serious Purple Haze tomatoes! Either that or he was kidding around, they have to smell funky if nothing else!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I grew corn shoots on the balcony and they are pretty prolific but unfortunately I am not that crazy about their taste when raw. Going to use today's harvest for canh.
    g979rvhebj1e.jpeg
    9a236tg06ud4.jpeg

@acpgee - these look lovely! What a wonderful view! 💫