How do you deal with the fear?

sofrances
sofrances Posts: 156 Member
edited May 2020 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I haven't yet reached my maintenance goal, but I'm having serious anxiety issues related to fear of putting the weight back on. Partly this is because I fear the health consequences of doing so (weight loss is not primarily about looks for me at this stage in my life, although I'll take looking better as a bonus :smile: ). Partly because I have read lots of depressing articles about how few people keep weight off, "metabolic adaption", microbiome changes associated with obesity, and all that stuff. Also because I lost all the weight once before, but then watched it creep back on over the years until I was heavier than ever (although I was never doing proper calorie counting at that point).

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    maybe it is good to have fear so we will be cautious. I dont know, I have the fear also but my weight is off, that is the main thing.
  • judy4bb
    judy4bb Posts: 1 Member
    Maybe you are giving it too much attention, could that be? I have the same issue this morning but when I saw your question--it's my own---I thought...well, she should un-invite this guest that is in her mind. Could it be more simple than we are allowing it to be? Today--just today--invite those things into your mind that work for you: is it drinking water, is it writing down what you'll eat (planning), is it going for a walk, is it trying a new food??? Then, at the end of the day evaluate IF that type of focus helped or harmed your health goals. Just a thought.
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    sofrances wrote: »
    Why wasn't it important enough to you to do something about it?

I didn't want to calorie count. It seemed like an unnatural way to live your life, I resented having to do it when other people didn't seem to have to (childish, but I was little more than a child) and at the time there either weren't any apps for it or I certainly didn't know about them. (I had lost the weight originally by basically starving myself on cuppa soups etc.). I spent years hoping for a way to lose and maintain weight without counting.

Now I have calorie counted for a bit, I realise that its not so bad. There's a geeky pleasure to it, even. I wish I had done it earlier, but wishing won't make it so.

I and many others maintain without food logging.
    (Not that there is anything wrong with logging for those that either like it or feel they need it.)

But I couldn't maintain without watching my weight trend and reacting when it starts to drift beyond acceptable limits. I bumped into my upper limit during the COVID lockdown and simply started to reduce my intake a little and my weight is coming back down again. Just thoughful / mindful eating.

Thanks @sijomial. i think calorie counting is for me for the foreseeable future, but its good to know its not the only option.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I go into "full logging" mode whenever I hit goal+5lbs. The rest of the time I just try to be sensable.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I haven't yet reached my maintenance goal, but I'm having serious anxiety issues related to fear of putting the weight back on. Partly this is because I fear the health consequences of doing so (weight loss is not primarily about looks for me at this stage in my life, although I'll take looking better as a bonus :smile: ). Partly because I have read lots of depressing articles about how few people keep weight off, "metabolic adaption", microbiome changes associated with obesity, and all that stuff. Also because I lost all the weight once before, but then watched it creep back on over the years until I was heavier than ever (although I was never doing proper calorie counting at that point).

Fear is only my enemy if I allow it to paralyze me or act irrationally. I am feeling the same fear but I am channeling it into further self improvement/education so that I am prepared, possibly over-prepared, when maintenance arrives. I also believe that a healthy amount of fear will keep me aware of my weight and habits. If I can maintain my awareness then weight gain is less likely to slip back into my blind spot.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    No "fear" here. Worry and concern perhaps but no fear.

FWIW, it sounds like you are just making yourself crazy thinking about things that aren't in the present.

The way to deal w/this problem IMO is to focus on your goal, stick to your plan and shut out the noise Success should be self- reinforcing.

Sounds like this will be easier said than done 4u but that's the only way you will be likely to overcome your "fear."

Good luck!

^^^All of this...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Why wasn't it important enough to you to do something about it?

I didn't want to calorie count. It seemed like an unnatural way to live your life, I resented having to do it when other people didn't seem to have to (childish, but I was little more than a child) and at the time there either weren't any apps for it or I certainly didn't know about them. (I had lost the weight originally by basically starving myself on cuppa soups etc.). I spent years hoping for a way to lose and maintain weight without counting.

Now I have calorie counted for a bit, I realise that its not so bad. There's a geeky pleasure to it, even. I wish I had done it earlier, but wishing won't make it so.

I and many others maintain without food logging.
    (Not that there is anything wrong with logging for those that either like it or feel they need it.)

But I couldn't maintain without watching my weight trend and reacting when it starts to drift beyond acceptable limits. ]/b]I bumped into my upper limit during the COVID lockdown and simply started to reduce my intake a little and my weight is coming back down again. Just thoughful / mindful eating.

This can't be more emphasized.

I rarely manage my weight. Other than when I purposely was trying to eat as much for health reasons, I literally just skim at my weight once a month or so.

If you have the experience of unexpected weight gain or loss, take more note of your individual weight. Looking at your trend will give some people a better understanding what is happening. Once you can see you are gaining on average, can stop taking a second serving at a meal or snack. If you are trying to gain weight, you might add a late night snack or glass of milk. Usually something you can put back without eating more than intended e.g., bag of chips, chocolate.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

Fear is only my enemy if I allow it to paralyze me or act irrationally. I am feeling the same fear but I am channeling it into further self improvement/education so that I am prepared, possibly over-prepared, when maintenance arrives. I also believe that a healthy amount of fear will keep me aware of my weight and habits. If I can maintain my awareness then weight gain is less likely to slip back into my blind spot.

Quoting the bolded parts for truth.

Fear can be good. It keeps us from doing stupid things that could hurt or kill us, right? Also, you can't be brave without fear. Otherwise you're just an idiot running into dangerous situations with no thought or judgement. same can be said about one's health.

But irrational or debilitating fear is not good. There's that line between healthy fear of something bad that spurs one to take reasonable action and pure psychosis.