What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• sweet116061
    sweet116061 Posts: 17 Member
    StargazerB wrote: »
    I don't like sushi

What do you not like about sushi? I hated it because of the seaweed...until I found out you can get rice paper instead!! It tastes just like rice and not fishy 😁 I get cooked shrimp and crab rolls. Delicious!!!
  • lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    StargazerB wrote: »
    I don't like sushi

What do you not like about sushi? I hated it because of the seaweed...until I found out you can get rice paper instead!! It tastes just like rice and not fishy 😁 I get cooked shrimp and crab rolls. Delicious!!![/quote

There are many many kinds of sushi without seaweed. Not just maki. Maybe give Tamagoyaki, nigiri, Inarizushi a try. I have never seen rice paper used to wrap sushi.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Deep pan pizza is gross. Pizza crust is the worst part of pizza - much better as thin and crispy as possible
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    Unpopular opinion: detroit style pizza is the best pizza. Come at me.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Unpopular opinion: detroit style pizza is the best pizza. Come at me.

I agree!
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Pasta, pizza, risotto, and breads do not make you fat---it's the quantities and the heavy sauces.

Quantities, yes. Also... glucose overload from carbs. Also inflammation from processed oils. I disagree that it is the heavy sauces (if made with quality fat).

I think snowflake954 is exactly right. The issue with certain so-called carb-based dishes people frequently eat is the calories (and a surprising amount of those cals are from fat if you think of them as "carb" dishes). For example, people think of pasta dishes as "carbs" (and indeed in many restaurants the serving size of the pasta itself is nuts), but more often a majority of the cals are from the fat in the sauce. This is especially true for white sauces, but at a restaurant (and for some people when home made) you may well be getting fat from cheese and butter or olive oil or heavy cream not to mention higher fat meat.

My most common ways of making pasta (56 g or less) is (1) with lots of veg, shrimp (or other lean meat) and a limited amount of olive oil with the only other fat a little feta or, in the alternative, olives or pine nuts or other nuts/seeds, and (2) with a tomato-based sauce with a bit of olive oil, lean ground beef and lots of veg, and in either case I get a meal that has nothing like the macros or cals as some of the most popular pasta-based restaurant meals.

Unless "processed oils" is supposed to include olive oil, I don't even get why that would be associated with pastas (let alone risotto, bread, or a well-made pizza). Pizza (a good one, not some mass market chain) typically uses olive oil, IME, and pasta will use olive oil or butter depending on the dish. Risotto, of course, calls for butter, and most bread doesn't include any fat until you add butter or dip it in olive oil.

Re my pasta meals, there are no ill-effects such as inflammation or "glucose overload," nor are the cals higher than my normal meals (and thus no weight gain unless other food eaten throughout the day causes me to go over my cals).

I will say this: there is something to be said about the ingredients used and preparation. I can only speak for what I see here in the US, but I do believe that a diet high in carbs and omega-6 fats creates hormone imbalance and insatiability, which leads to weight gain.

pasta + olive oil + protein + full fat feta? Sounds perfectly balanced. But that's not the case for majority of people (at least here in the states) who are eating pasta with sauces made with vegetable oils, tomato sauces with sugar, etc.

You know Lemur...right about now I really miss that fantastic thread done by the body builder with perfect blood work that ate junk food as an experiment, documented it and found out that IT MADE ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE and he got ripped over a couple of years. People used to argue that it wasn't possible, but he had the pics and the blood work results. He was surprised himself.

@DVDgzz.

His eating record is also here, in great detail, along with an after-ish profile photo:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141807961&p=822484731#post822484731

The first post on that thread gives a verbal summary of his starting point.

To be fair, I think it was more than "a couple of years". The thread at Bodybuilding runs from 2012 to 2018, and says what his Insta account is.

There is (or at least used to be) a general-participation thread around here (i.e., not his deleted thread) with a before-ish photo of him as . . . well, let's just say, with a higher body fat % by a good bit, and what appeared to be less muscle mass, besides. But he's been at this stuff a long time.
    (ETA, Before-ish pic is here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43824947#Comment_43824947 )

Mostly just after-ish pics on his profile page here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/view/106195216

Gotta keep it in proportion, though: He works out, and is active in daily life, in major, major ways, while eating pizza, strawberry marshmallows, cinnamon rolls, sweet cereals, fast food, and all that stuff. Also - and as a consequence - he has a TDEE that lets him "waste" a lot of calories, while still getting basic adequate macros/micros. Most of us schlepping around eating mostly sweetened cereal and Taco Bell will not achieve similar results.

But still. :lol: Interesting.

hey, good for him! but for the 85% of the population that is at a metabolic disadvantage, wouldn't say this is recommended. Also think it is worth noting he didn't comment on his hunger levels and how he felt physically/mentally.

I think the biggest issue in the US is that people eat constantly, non filling foods (high fat more than high carb if you look at the SAD numbers). And people eat a lot at desks, in the car, not in family meals, and in a lot of the US aren't active. If people are into fast food (I never was), that's a lot of cals without a lot of sating options.

I don't think it's the carb percentage, which is the same or lower than many places which have far better weight numbers. The focus on carbs vs nutrients is, IMO, just a money-making scheme by some (like Fung) which hurts those who ideally would understand how weight loss works.

I'm a nut for good nutrition because I think it's valuable, but I know I could lose or gain eating low or high nutrition meals. (And also low or high carb.)

This I agree with. Ultimately I think it is the lack of satiety from low quality fat sources and processed carbs.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @pancakerunner You wouldn't believe the things I've been making with this pancake mix. Crepes and cookies and pancakes and sandwiches and brownies....the sky is not the limit.

xdsptzw2z4xq.png
  • holly8312
    holly8312 Posts: 38 Member
    Raw tomatoes are a slimy abomination
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    holly8312 wrote: »

Tomatoes from the grocery store, yes. Fresh picked off the plants in my garden, no.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    holly8312 wrote: »

Tomatoes from the grocery store, yes. Fresh picked off the plants in my garden, no.

Only you have to beat the squirrels to them...!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Chicken breast over thighs anytime.

Yes, I'm one of those, too. I generally prefer white meat to dark.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I prefer white meat too (with both chicken and turkey), but roasted with the bones and skin over boneless, skinless breast any day. (The latter has its uses, but the former is delicious just roasted with a bit of salt and pepper.)
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    The white fungal rind on camembert and brie is the best part.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

What kind of monster are you?

I can't remember the last time I used chicken breast for anything. Thighs have so much more flavor.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Tomatoes are stupid.
    Ketchup is an abomination.

Mushrooms are disgusting and ruin every dish.
  • pancakerunner

I can't remember the last time I used chicken breast for anything. Thighs have so much more flavor.

I am indifferent. Breast with skin on/bone in is alright.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

My opinion (possibly unpopular), is that chicken breast lacks its own inherent flavor. And, yes, I have had it properly cooked, but even when moist and juicy, it tastes like nothing to me. If it has skin on it, I taste the skin. If it has seasoning, sauce, breading, etc, I taste those elements, but nothing in the meat itself.

I think it's fine as an element in a dish...like tofu, it takes on the flavor of whatever you pair it with. But, if I'm just grilling or roasting some chicken, it's gotta be thighs for me.

I'm the same with turkey...on Thanksgiving, when everyone's going after the breast meat, I'm just piling my plate with dark meat.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

My opinion (possibly unpopular), is that chicken breast lacks its own inherent flavor. And, yes, I have had it properly cooked, but even when moist and juicy, it tastes like nothing to me. If it has skin on it, I taste the skin. If it has seasoning, sauce, breading, etc, I taste those elements, but nothing in the meat itself.

I think it's fine as an element in a dish...like tofu, it takes on the flavor of whatever you pair it with. But, if I'm just grilling or roasting some chicken, it's gotta be thighs for me.

I'm the same with turkey...on Thanksgiving, when everyone's going after the breast meat, I'm just piling my plate with dark meat.

You are right for chicken (or any animal) that is grown commercially. There is a big difference in taste when it's a free range animal. A lot depends on what they eat. It's the same for farmed fish. The flavor is much less than wild caught fish. However, free range costs much more to raise so most couldn't afford it. I grew up on a farm. As another thought, the type of soil can change the taste of vegetables. We get tomatoes grown on Vesuvius and volcanic soil gives excellent flavor. Another example are Bronte pistachios which are also grown on volcanic soil. Sometimes the grocery store will have carrots or potatoes that come from another country and are grown in sand--no flavor and full of water.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Raw meat in any form is disgusting.

Why?
    Did you ever have a properly made steak tartare or carpaccio?

I have tried both of those at nice restaurants and I stand by what I said. Disgusting. Sashimi is vomit inducing. Raw meat is also dangerous. I learned this in parasitology class and in my medical practice.

Maybe take that course again and pay attention? ;)

I got an A+ in that class. I stand by what I said.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    So I am throwing in a curve ball on the chicken. LOL

Chicken is gross. Meat is gross. Yes I am plant based. No I do not think bad on anyone ever on thier likings for ANYTHING. I was a true carnivore for a while.

I love tofu

So there. LOL! :smiley::D