Couch to 5K-General Support

Options

Replies

• Coastalmama01
    Options
    1. My name is Arena

2. I just did W3D1 this morning.
    3. I would love to run a 5k in Oct/Nov, when I finish. Taking this one day at a time though!
    4. Because I can't do inside workouts anymore with my 4.5 year old and 20 month old. It.Does.Not.Work. They crawl all over me and I spend most of the time pausing the workout and getting angry and frustrated.

With running there is so much freedom and calmness. Doesn't hurt that my route gives me ocean views for part of it! I also think that runners are in awesome shape and so toned. I want to be like that, instead of jiggly and out of shape!
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    A question for everyone who is mid-c25k - what is your running pace? Mine is super slow at ~15mins/mile. SOOOO SLOW :(
  • tastigger
    Options
    Great thread!

1. Tricia
    2. Tomorrow will be W5D1
    3. The first race - to finish! I just signed up for the Candler 5k in Atlanta 10/15 - Then to finish 5k's in all 50 states
    4. Because most of last year I couldn't walk - it's been a long haul of surgery, PT & work to get me where I am now!
    (my couch to 5k story is here: http://geekyexplorers.com/?p=650) We are headed out in our RV 11/2/11 which propelled me to want to find an exercise I can do on the road! I am hoping to meet up with people all over the states & post the races I am doing on our fb page. :)

Oh, and my running pace is a jog & that's okay with me. :)
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    hi all!

just done W6D2 and did well, love running at night, its nice and cool!

anyway, im currently avg. about 11.5 to 14 minute miles. the first 3 weeks i was avg. between 15 and 16 minute miles. its not the time that matters at first, its just the fact your running (not just walking), speed will come later, im getting quicker, and still 3 and half weeks to go! :) and it feels amazin that i can now run for more than a mile contiuously, i dont care how long it takes lol

happy running peoples!
  • sarahsmall
    sarahsmall Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

1. Name:Sarah
    2. What level you are currently on in the C25K program: wk3 d1
    3. Do you have a race goal in mind, and if so, what is it? hot chocolate 5k in nov.
    4. Why did you start running? I just really want to run. I currently hate it. I have a bad knee but I still want to meet the challenge of doing atleast a 5k. I hope that I learn to like it. I hope that once I do a 5k I want to push myself to do more. I am just trying to get fit and push myself outside my comfort zone.
  • srajkowski
    Options
    I plan on starting on the 12th only because my husband starts back to school tomorrow and I need to get into a routine before adding more into the mix. Always hated running because I never knew how to breathe right, but then when I was training for the Susan G Komen 3-Day walk I tried it on the treadmill and actually ran for 5 minutes! Couldn't believe it! I heard about this from a friend so I thought I would give it a try.
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm Dawn, and tomorrow will be W7D2 for me. I actually ran a full 5k the other day when I did W7D1. A big deal for me, as I have NEVER been into running.
    I started the C25K program, because I wanted to keep my work outs interesting, and challenging. I went from being a major couch potato, to working out 6 days a week. I never thought there would be a day where I wanted to go for my run! :-)

I am not the best outdoor runner, so I have to work on that a bit more. I really struggle when a hill looms ahead of me. Need to tackle them more often.
    I try to run at a 10:30 minute mile, but that goes up and down depending on the terrain. On the treadmill, I hold a steady 10 minute mile.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm Dawn, and tomorrow will be W7D2 for me. I actually ran a full 5k the other day when I did W7D1. A big deal for me, as I have NEVER been into running.
    I started the C25K program, because I wanted to keep my work outs interesting, and challenging. I went from being a major couch potato, to working out 6 days a week. I never thought there would be a day where I wanted to go for my run! :-)

I am not the best outdoor runner, so I have to work on that a bit more. I really struggle when a hill looms ahead of me. Need to tackle them more often.
    I try to run at a 10:30 minute mile, but that goes up and down depending on the terrain. On the treadmill, I hold a steady 10 minute mile.

Great work! Iv got a 5K race that lands on W7D1 (this sunday) so i hope to be able to match you :) your abit quicker than me, im steady about 11.5 to 12 minute miles, but ill work on my speed during last 2 weeks of this training. I used to hate even the smallest of inclines! but a few weeks back i did acouple of my C25K runs up a seriously steep hill (almost a mountain id say lol) that was 1.5 mile long! and then back down again. It really helped me, mentally as well as for fitness, as i just compare every incline to that hill now and think "well that anit nothing compared to that mountain" lol. iv not tried running on a treadmill yet, i hear its easier though??? dont know if there is any truth in that?
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I think the treadmill is easier to keep going on as it's lower impact, but more boring
  • reenymac
    reenymac Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1. Name Reenie

2. What level you are currently on in the C25K program Week 1 Day 1 !! Just completed today :)

3. Do you have a race goal in mind, and if so, what is it? Nope

4. Why did you start running? I want to see if I actually like running ! I'm surrounded by runners in my family and friends and when encouraged to go I've always said I hate running. The truth is I'm so unfit I've never actually been able to run !! so I don't know whether I like it or not.

Anyway W1 D1 completed :)
  • haileemou
    Options
    1. I'm Hailee
    2. Im about to embark on Week 1 day 1 this evening
    3. I have no goal, only to reach the end
    4. Ive tried running and cant do it, i enjoy it, but cant go very far so its a challenge for me! I want to say ive run 5k! Im trying to lose weight and i hope it kick starts my metabolism as i have thyroid issues!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    1. Bill
    2. I'm a C25K graduate
    3. I have a 5 mile (~8k) race this weekend (sept 11) and I am excited and freaking out, since this will be my first running race, ever.
    4. My wife turned my onto C25K a few years ago, we kept failing at it, until this time. Now I do 5k + stroller.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    1. Liz
    2. Finished C25K on Monday!
    3. I'd like to do a race, but I want to make sure I can reliably run 5K in a reasonable time before i do it!
    4. I started running because I had a minor car crash a couple of years ago and hurt my lower back, and couldn't run without pain, but having lost some weight and hit the gym I found I could run and enjoyed it - and it's quick to burn calories. I want to make sure I keep running, especially as mornings are getting darker and I need to make the transition from running outside in the mornings to evening runs, possibly in the gym (ugh).
    Went on the treadmill today for the first time in ages and hated it :grumble:
  • Nette2172
    Nette2172 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1. Name - Lynnette
    2. What level you are currently on in the C25K program - Just finished W1D3!
    3. Do you have a race goal in mind, and if so, what is it? I am thinking about running the mini marathon in Indy. (It is in May every year.)
    4. Why did you start running? I have been losing weight so my next goal was to begin exercising. I saw people talking about C25K and was intrigued.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    1. Name
    Elisabeth (this one was pretty obvious)

2. What level you are currently on in the C25K program
    Yesterday I did Week 5 day 3, but I think I'm going to have to repeat it.

3. Do you have a race goal in mind, and if so, what is it?
    No actually. I have absolutely no plans of ever doing a race.

4. Why did you start running?
    Because I quit smoking. My weightloss completely stalled. I saw the burns people on my friends list were getting so I looked up C25K, and decided since it starts out so slow I could probably do it. I've never run in my entire life. I have a bone disease and have had multiple orthopedic surgeries throughout my life. I've always avoided running because not only did I not enjoy it, I was afraid of injuring my joints further. So far, I've suffered no joint pain other than fatigue after a run. I can't believe I'm actually doing this.

So yesterday I did day 3 of week 5, a 20 minute run in which you are not supposed to stop. It was pouring rain so badly that at points I couldn't see. I wasn't even able to do 3 minutes without slowing to a walk. I did the whole thing, running as much of it as I could. But I wasn't able to do it without walking. My pant legs were so heavy from the rain it was difficult just to lift my legs. I'm going to have to repeat it when it's not pouring rain and see if maybe I need to repeat day 2 of week 5. This will be the first day I've had to repeat. I was able to do the 8 minute intervals of day 2 straight without slowing to a walk so maybe it was just the weather. I don't know.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    eek! Double post.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm Laura

Starting week 2 tonight.

Don't have any races in mind, just wanted to see of I can do this at all.

I started because I used to love running a year ago but never used a program, just ran and walked as I could. I love the fact that I am being prompted to run and walk which keeps me going... As if I had a little personal trainer in my ear.

I was wondering, I did a week 1-3 yesterday and I feel really up for trying week 2-1 tonight. How much rest should I put in-between runs? I am really enjoying the me time. I take my dog out with me(boxer American bulldog mix) she enjoys it just as much as I do.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    I was wondering, I did a week 1-3 yesterday and I feel really up for trying week 2-1 tonight. How much rest should I put in-between runs? I am really enjoying the me time. I take my dog out with me(boxer American bulldog mix) she enjoys it just as much as I do.
    I work a lot. I'm currently working 2 jobs on opposite shifts (full time overnights, part time days). I get in my exercise on days I can. Sometimes I do C25K on 2 days in a row, sometimes there's a 3 day gap. It doesn't seem to have negatively affected my progress.
  • Tyler477
    Tyler477 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    1. Tyler
    2. on week 7 day 2!
    3. Definitely going to race! in fact there's a 'burrito run' where you run 2 miles then eat a burrito and run another 2 miles! talk about a motivator haha
    4. I started running after I quit smoking to alleviate cravings and man did it work! also been counting calories and losing weight very quickly. I recommend this program to anyone looking to get fit. Can't wait to get to 5k, I improve each run. The funny thing is the days you think you will do your worst you always surprise yourself and do great!

Also use edomondo (android market) with gps on your run as it gives you your mile times, it;s a great motivator when I hear I got a better 1st mile time and I always try harder to beat it the next mile! 11:30 currently, going down fast!

All other c25k'ers add me so we can motivate each other
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    After finishing C25K I ran my first "official" 5k event on Saturday last. I managed 27:15 which translates to 8:45 miles. I surprised myself as I would have been thrilled with anything under 30 minutes. Had a great time and I'm looking for more runs to do!