To those who've lost over 100 pounds in a year, please respo

Options

Replies

• Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose at 2 lbs per week. That gives you 104 pounds in a year - which is healthy and doable. Reset your calorie target with each loss...and exercise. I don't eat back my exercise calories (another hotly debated issue).

I eat back about half of my exercise calories and am very careful about portion size but I do not stress over every calorie. There are times when the weight seems to go away on its own and other times, like this weekend, when I seem to regain everything lost the week before. During those times I have to remind myself that when viewed since I started recording my weight using MFP, the weight loss is a fairly steady descending line toward my goal weight.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    A way a person is going to lose that much weight in that time frame will be with some form of surgery. You're seeking where a person keeps at least 1200 calorie intake and even with exercise you will not meet what you're seeking. good luck with your hunt on a 1200 calorie intake and losing 100 pounds or more in under a year. I've lost that much and that was with 1200 calorie.. exercising 5 days a week at the gym with classes in the evening.. along with stomach surgery!

not true i went from 250 to 150 in 12 months never starved myself and worked out normal. That was before my kids so now i am losing again lmao
  • cree_d
    Options
    I'm only about half way to 100 pounds lost (54 pounds in 4 1/2 months) but I plan to do at least that in a year. I'm averaging 1900 calories/day eaten and 450 calories/day burned through exercise for an average net of 1450. I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of everything. My metabolic rate has decreased 300 calories/day, which is to be expected since my body mass has decreased. So I'm losing just a bit slower than the beginning but not much. I do 35 minutes of higher intensity on the elliptical 4x/week and that really helps drop weight fast. The rest of my exercise is walking and a few simple weight exercises. I'm eating mostly healthy, natural foods but NOT low fat (or low carb, but my carbs are whole grains, fruits and vegetables). I've tried that before and then I'm just hungry, cranky and give up. I've finally figured ot what works for me, healthy food, higher calories, reasonable duration/frequency intense exercise mixed with low intensity walking, and determination! It really has been shockingly easy!
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I havent lost 100 pounds, yet, but I have lost 80. I have done this since Jan of this year, but I really started dieting in the last of May or the first of June and I have lost 60 pounds since then. I do 1200 calories a day and I lost about a pound a day sometimes more. I did gain weight from time to time but I kept going. I sometimes have to eat potato chips to get close to my 1200 calories and I'm not hungry. Two cups of fresh green beans, no seasoning but sea salt, has 68 calories with a large tomato and 1/2 cup of onion and that a BIG meal, around 200 calories. I eat out at a mexican place every Tuesday. I get chicken fajita cooked with no oil, with corn tortilas and no beans, rice, sour cream or that green stuff (LOL) I eat the salsa with a spoon, get your own bowl so no double dipping. I eat few calories on Tuesdays before I go out. I eat 3 slices of turkey bacon, 3 turkey sausage links for breakfast. A cup of watermelon or cantouple for a snack and the green beans for lunch. Then watermelon to hold me over til I go out. My goal is to lose 117 pounds, 302 to 185. You can do it, you just have to set your mind to it and you'll do great. Good Luck and update us on your process.:bigsmile:
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I ate what MFP told me to eat for 2 lbs a week loss, and only ate back about 1/2 my exercise calories. For the 1st 6 months I didn't even exercise. In my first year I lost 110 ish. Can't remember, but I did break 100 :-)
  • razzyjazz
    razzyjazz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. That is my plan to lose 100 in a year(or at least reach that goal).
    I love reading the stories. Anything is possible.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs in 8 months. I've lost a few more now and plan to lose about 40 more. I think I started with 1400 calories but it quickly changed to 1200. I exercise every day and don't eat back my exercise calories...yet. That will probably change as I get closer to my goal but I'm not going to change what's working for me at this point. My suggestion would be to lower your carbs a bit and raise your protein - that has really helped me a lot. Good luck to you. It's totally doable without surgery - it does take a LOT of sheer determination, though.
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have lost 118 lbs in the past 50.5 weeks, almost 1 year. I ate what MFP told me to and I always ate at least some of my exercise calories. I always try to have a net of 1200 calories or more. Usually more unless I just burned a TON exercising and can't force myself to eat a bite more.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    110 lbs. lost in 11months, here!

Been maintaining my goal weight for a year & a half, and even lost another lb. lol! It is realistic when you start out with a significant amount to lose. My goals were set at losing 2lbs./week, which put me at 1200cals/day, and after totally changing my way of eating (high protein, low carb, etc.) that goal wasn't hard to achieve. Started out at 244lbs., now 133lbs., and I'm 5'2".

The key is having FOCUS. Keep that, and you will conquer this *mainly* psychological challenge. Feel free to add me for meal ideas and other tips :flowerforyou:
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I lost 102lbs in 8 months. My story is in my signature. Here I will say, I did not starve myself. It felt like it at first because eating the right portion sizes was not my norm. For the rest click my blog. :)
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I lost close to a hundred in my first year...working gradual levels down from a very high calorie intake (probably at 3000-4000 kcals a day...every day with 0 exercise). Finished the real weight loss portion (18 months ago) at about 1700 calories a day...I am definetly in maintain mode now...and up to 1950 kcals a day....NET. But....

The key is I move! I left a sedentary lifestyle and I am now very active. I generally catalog 5000-6000 kcals a week on my Polar HR monitor and that means....there are days I really eat!

Today, I played over 3 and a half hours of tennis...1825 kcals burned...and...I ate...and ate...and still ended up with 241kcal to go. My diary is open.

Key is...on days I exercise big...I eat big. Days I do not...I do not. A my size (5'4")...I seem to do very well on now a 1800 kcal a day net.

Everybody on the move!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    bumping, I have some friends that have lost quite a bit of weight in a year. Hoping they post for you. :)
  • shannonichole
    Options
    I've lost a hundred pounds in a year before I joined myfitnesspal. I did it through eating 500 calories a day. But after getting super sick I finally decided to try and get "better". Which I did. And then I went to culinary school. You can probably imagine the what happens there surrounded by all that food, especially after living on crackers and water for a year. Within a couple months I gained it all back. :sad:

So now I am struggling to take it off the right way. My metabolism is absolutely messed up. If you want to know if it works, then I can tell you it does. If you want to know how you'll feel while your doing it then I can privately message you the amount of hospital bills that I wracked up from being so sick.

I can also tell you that I finally started losing weight through eating 1500 net calories per day. I've lost almost 40 pounds and feel a thousand times better.

Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • ehlertmartha
    Options
    Set your goal to lose at 2 lbs per week. That gives you 104 pounds in a year - which is healthy and doable. Reset your calorie target with each loss...and exercise. I don't eat back my exercise calories (another hotly debated issue).

Agreed with the eating calories back i lose more weight by eating the calories that i do exercise off the body needs energy to go
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've lost 103 lbs in one year and 3 months exactly. I did not particularly focus on dropping the weight within a certain time period, it just sort of happened that way. I did not starve myself, nor would I - that's not sustainable, not to mention unhealthy, and it will lead you right back to where you started.

All that being said, I'll answer your questions to the best of my abilities. I eat anywhere from 2,000-2,600 calories a day currently and net around 1600-1800 calories, or sometimes a little higher on days where I lift. I have progressively dropped my weight loss goal from 2 lbs per week when I was obese, to 1.5 lbs as I lost some weight, to 1 lbs, and am now at 0.5 lbs per week. I exercise almost daily (about 1-2 rest days per week), incorporating various forms of cardio and strength training 3x a week. And yes, I do eat all of my exercise calories. If I didn't answer one of your questions completely, just shoot me a message... I don't bite. :tongue:

Just remember, you can do it! :flowerforyou: And although calorie counts are very much individual, hopefully these responses will show you that you can still actually eat and lose weight in a healthy manner.
  • MyGoodLife
    Options
    You all are awesome... such amazing stories. I'm excited to get started.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I've lost going on 45 pounds since August 1st, that is 36 days. I work out 1 hr minimum a day (I push for 2 - 2.5 hours a day) and I stay under calories. I quit drinking soda and eating fast food. I am on Phentermine a diet pill as well. It's not healthy to lose that much but I'm so big (started at 378ish) that this first month has been fast weight loss, it's slowed down to about 3 - 3.5 pounds a week but with the exercise I've learned that the benefits of it far out weigh the weight loss!

I love being able to be active and not gasping. I am now up to 5 miles to 10 miles per day depending on how many times I work out. On days off I work out am and pm, on work days it's just a pm work out. I do 5 miles a session plus 30 minutes on recumbent bike. I will also lift weights every other day. It's amazing the difference. I started out only able to do about 2 miles and hour and was wiped if I did that. I'm now up to 5 miles and averaging 9 minutes a mile. I do 5 miles in about 45 minutes with no stopping. 10K is signed up for in March 2012! I am doing a 5k in KC next month!

Don't just go for weight loss, go for a healthy life! Trust me, it will change your view on things. It's not all about the weight loss!
  • Slimmer_J
    Options
    Hi!
    I actually just reached my 100lb goal just a couple days ago and I lost it in 9 months. I did not eat less than 1200 calories a day. I started off going to a nutritionist t really know how to eat correctly. I know they it seems that eating less would allow you to lose more weight and maybe this is the case for a bit, but really your body does fo into starvation mode. I have another 50 to still lose and eat between 1200-1350 calories each day. However, i eat protien with every meal. I eat at least 70 grams of protien per day, it seems like a lot but once you start to eat certain things it just becomes habit. I also workout with a traininer 3 times a week and 60 min with her burns at least 700 calories, on other days I run but by no means workout every day. By not eating enough calories you are doing more harm than good. I know it rough but really not only will you start losin weight slower but you will lose muscle and you wont tone along the way. I still have issues with skin and not being as tone as I had hoped but know I can fix that later. Do it the right way and still eat, you just need to learn the right combitnations. Also drink A LOT of water. it isnt eay making teh changes but once you do it becomes habit... best f luck!
  • The_Wallflower
    The_Wallflower Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've lost 130 in 11 months. I eat 1200 Cals a day and work out around 3 times a week!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!